Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insuring two bikes ...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

TCFA
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:10 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Insuring two bikes ... Reply with quote

So I found out this is harder than I thought it would be (or more expensive!)

Until recently I was a meerkat website user - I have my CBR insured for a reasonable premium but a stupid excess (with MCE) - but the other insurers were much more so I lumped it.

Now I'm buying the Tiger (deposit down, yay!) and I found a better comparison site (thebikeinsurer) which has led me to Lexham insurers with a decent rate and excess - if I transfer my NCB to that policy.

If I transfer the NCB, then I have to pay a silly uplift on the CBR with MCE, and still have a whopping XS (£900, on a bike worth probably only twice that).

I asked Lexham to quote for a two bike policy, and it was even worse than having the two policies separately.

So - I think I'm going to uninsure CBR, take it off the road, and turn it into a track project. Even then I will only get £16 back from MCE on a £170 premium after 2 months insured!!!

Any recommendations before I do that?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:22 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never advocate lying, of course, but:
You could cancel your CBR policy, lump the cancellation charges.
Use last year's schedule as proof of NCD, purchase insurance for both the CBR and the Triumph via two entirely separate providers.
On the Triumph quote, tick that you've only one vehicle, not two.
If the Triumph insurers question that the NCD is from a different vehicle, which they more than likely won't, say that's your old vehicle and you've just bought the new one.
If your CBR insurers question why there's a gap in cover, you had the CBR off the road for repairs.

Two lots of NCD then run on either policy, and all for the price of the cancellation of a crap MCE policy with a massive excess. Not too sad.

Source: Someone very close to me did this very recently with his (or her) new car because men (or women) are devious in this way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:44 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with swinton and say you have 4 years ncb. They won't ask. You don't crash for year. Next year written 5 ncb to go with your other policy.

Could maybe does possibly definitely work most all the time all the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:36 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCE have never asked me for proof either.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:34 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called Admiral once about the possibility of adding a 2nd car insurance via a multi vehicular policy.

the quote came back stupid and when I asked about having full no claims the bloke said he can apply the full no claims to either of the vehicles.... but not both at the same time.

hence our insurance didn't double but was more like 6-7 fold.

after a bit of back and forth he just applied the full no claims to both.

I'm positive it was purely an exercise in him trying to get as much comish as possible.

the whole you can only apply no claims to a single vehicle is bollocks.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:37 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:

Why?

Its a discount against a vehicle you are insuring.

I'm currently building 2 sets of NCB and have been for years. Its cheaper in the long run.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I'd go with swinton and say you have 4 years ncb. They won't ask. You don't crash for year. Next year written 5 ncb to go with your other policy.

Does that never ever happen? Might be a good thing to know in future.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:40 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Well... I had 2 NCB in my first year of driving for some reason Neutral

Maybe bikes too... but unsure when they happened, could all have been a dream (really not really) Laughing

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
ColinK98 wrote:

Why?

I'm currently building 2 sets of NCB and have been for years. Its cheaper in the long run.

But you can only ever drive/ride one car/bike at a time, i've got over 15 years NCD on my car, but it hasn't been with the same car as i tend to change cars every couple of years, by your reasoning i should lose my NCD every time i buy a new car as i am insuring a different car

Even if i were to own 5 cars, i have still not made a claim in 15 years, so should have 15 years NCD on them all, if i did have to make a claim on any of those cars though, i would lose the NCD on them all, which sounds fair enough as it doesn't matter which car i was driving as i still made a claim

I can understand why insurers would need to differentiate between car NCD and bike NCD though if you were to own a car and bike, as the 2 types of driving/riding are very different, but surely not if you own multiple bikes or multiple cars

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

But you can only ever drive/ride one car/bike at a time, i've got over 15 years NCD on my car, but it hasn't been with the same car as i tend to change cars every couple of years, by your reasoning i should lose my NCD every time i buy a new car as i am insuring a different car

You can have more than one car or bike stolen though.

That wasn't his reasoning. It's not the vehicle that's important it's the number of policies. NCD accumulates by number of policies active over the year, not vehicles.

rpsmith79 wrote:
Even if i were to own 5 cars, i have still not made a claim in 15 years, so should have 15 years NCD on them all, if i did have to make a claim on any of those cars though, i would lose the NCD on them all, which sounds fair enough as it doesn't matter which car i was driving as i still made a claim

I'd rather not have it that way, if it's all the same with you Shocked

rpsmith79 wrote:
I can understand why insurers would need to differentiate between car NCD and bike NCD though if you were to own a car and bike, as the 2 types of driving/riding are very different, but surely not if you own multiple bikes or multiple cars

Simply put, the current NCD adjustment methods aren't great for those that have multiple vehicles for the exact reason that you can only have one lot of NCD on one active policy (unless you're very sneaky, which I wouldn't recommend being, of course). It was designed in a time when one vehicle ownership was commonplace whereas these days multiple car households are probably more common than not.

However, should you move to change it to NCD applying to multiple vehicles owned / insured rather than by policy, then essentially all you do is soften the technical rating strength across the piece - simply, the amount of money in the pot goes down, which means the base rate before discount has to go up to counter it. That would mean that those with one car would be most heavily affected and be subsidising more those with two, in a cost per unit frequency model.

Anyway, it's bad enough having to disclose an accident on all forms of motorised transport and taking the claims loading punch across all policies is enough of a sickener - to lose joint NCD across all of them would be a beasting of the highest order.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that is why you have protected NCD Wink

But yes, i do see your point

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:25 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
ColinK98 wrote:

Why?

you are being rewarded for being a safe and responsible driver, not the vehicle.
its most probably safe to assume your sensible driving remains the same irrelevant of what vehicle you are using.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:40 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if my moped gets stolen, I lose part of my NCB and make my GSXR more to insure?

Nope plz.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's of no help to the OP, but the answer for me and I suspect many others is to make sure one of your two bikes or cars is a classic. It does vary on the age accepted by insurance companies as qualifying, some say over 20years, others it's 25/30.

But many classic policys don't accept or require NCB when taking out cover, and if you are doing a limited agreed mileage and have a garage, then classic bike policy's can be pretty cheap IMO.

You can keep your accrued NCB then for insuring your main vehicle on a separate policy.

TCFA
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:18 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spose I could suck up the extra premium this year for the CBR (a further £270 for the remaining 10 months on top of £170 already paid with an £875 XS and no doubt an admin fee for the pleasure ... errrgh makes me a bit sick) but look forward to accruing NCB on a second policy as the years go on, which may help down the line if I keep the Tiger for touring and want to upgrade the CBR for track/fun ...

question is would I get a decent discount with 1 yr NCB or have to keep paying through the nose until I get a few more.

Common sense says sell the Honda, but I like it! Perhaps I'm too sentimental ...

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd keep the CBR if possible, simply because if you can afford to put two bikes on the road at the same time, it's always useful to have a spare.

Also it would be a contrast and something different too, and for what you'd probably get for the CBR if you sold it, you'd probably not buy anything better or more interesting. The other benefit is you know your own bike and it's history compared to a random eBay purchase etc.

Finally a CBR 600 would make as good a track day bike as anything else, and is probably cheaper and easier to convert being a popular model.

Poecilotheria
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wont pretend to know how all the insurance stuff works because it gets complicated after 1 bike. I can only insure 1 at a time P.Y because the cost gets stupid. Separately with NCB my zx6 is think 354 yr w/ 100 EX, gsx6r 541 yr 100 EX, Cbr600F3 484 and change same EX about 1.380 total. Insurance on 2 adds about 130-240 to policy on top of the 2 individual prices depending on who I try with + more EX. E bike I think was offering the Zx6+gixxer at £1,231 for the year.

So only insure 1 the rest go into storage until the next year. I insure my YBR125 in another location separately but is only 109 a yr but if added to my policy for the zx would be more. Insurance is so complicated and random, but since you can only ride 1 at a time anyway its stupid how it gets jacked up.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
I'd never advocate lying, of course, but:
You could cancel your CBR policy, lump the cancellation charges.
Use last year's schedule as proof of NCD, purchase insurance for both the CBR and the Triumph via two entirely separate providers.
On the Triumph quote, tick that you've only one vehicle, not two.
If the Triumph insurers question that the NCD is from a different vehicle, which they more than likely won't, say that's your old vehicle and you've just bought the new one.

Neat trick. Wondering though - suppose you ended up having one of those massive claims that would cause your insurers to investigate your situation with a fine tooth comb in order to try and wriggle out of paying: if they cottoned on, would that be legit for them to bleat that because they've been 'fraudulently' deprived of 50% of their premium due, they are only obliged to pay out to the tune of 50%? (Or, not pay at all?)

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poecilotheria wrote:
but since you can only ride 1 at a time anyway its stupid how it gets jacked up.

But you don't need to be riding a bike to claim Rolling Eyes

2 bikes in a garage (you get the picture) 2 bikes go walkies or decide to warm each other up.... That is why you pay more for 2 bikes than 1. Karma

Poecilotheria
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Poecilotheria wrote:
but since you can only ride 1 at a time anyway its stupid how it gets jacked up.

But you don't need to be riding a bike to claim Rolling Eyes

2 bikes in a garage (you get the picture) 2 bikes go walkies or decide to warm each other up.... That is why you pay more for 2 bikes than 1. Karma

Good point, good point. Thumbs Up

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:

I've been asked to email in my NCB proof twice in around 6 years of riding. (by what appeared to be an auto generated email a day or so after signing up)
Once by Swinton, once by Hastings.
No idea what if anything would have happened if I didn't though.

Knowing me I probably did something daft like accidently declaring more years NCB than I've been riding or something, prompting the request, who knows.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 04:53 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebike do proper multi bike policies, Multi rider too!

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive always found it cheaper to have two bikes on one policy then two policies

I have one with over 9 years protected no claims on it though and tend to have bikes that don't go very fast and don't tend to be stolen much

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:12 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Neat trick. Wondering though - suppose you ended up having one of those massive claims that would cause your insurers to investigate your situation with a fine tooth comb in order to try and wriggle out of paying: if they cottoned on, would that be legit for them to bleat that because they've been 'fraudulently' deprived of 50% of their premium due, they are only obliged to pay out to the tune of 50%? (Or, not pay at all?)

Well you of course have to avoid going on record with outright lies, but carefully worded responses telling them what they want to hear rather than what you actually said is usually enough.

In event of a claim its highly unlikely that they'd choose the route of proportional remedy in such way because they cannot escape the third party damages and wouldn't be particularly successful in suing you for it anyway. Chances are they'd just ask for the difference in premium in the end.

When I say in the end I do mean it'd be a kicking and screaming process you'd have to drag them through. But ultimately it comes down to contra proferentem. How well they know their own acceptance criteria of NCD is not how well they've explained it in their contract or your documentation. For example - the question asked is usually 'how many years NCD do you have available for use on this policy' - rarely would you see a qualifying statement to say why your held NCD wouldn't be available for use.

Anyway, this all assumes digging has been done but unless you happen to rat yourself out, I can't see how they'd know any different.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
I've been asked to email in my NCB proof twice in around 6 years of riding. (by what appeared to be an auto generated email a day or so after signing up)
Once by Swinton, once by Hastings.
No idea what if anything would have happened if I didn't though.

Knowing me I probably did something daft like accidently declaring more years NCB than I've been riding or something, prompting the request, who knows.

See, I'm the complete opposite. With my car's insurance, nobody has bothered to ask me to prove it - must believe me, Drs don't lie....

But the bike, every year I have to fill in some guff paperwork so they can ask my prev. insurer.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 35 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1