BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

biker_boy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:13 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: CBT Reply with quote

Want to get going asap and move onto my DAS, but obviously CBT is my first hurdle.

Do I go for 2 hours of lessons on the geared bike for £70 (initial price for first 2hrs, £20/hr thereafter) prior to the CBT, or just head straight into the CBT with the possibility that I might need a retest with additional costs?

I'm thinking 2hrs of training on the bike might give me some confidence as a complete newbie.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: CBT Reply with quote

biker_boy wrote:
Want to get going asap and move onto my DAS, but obviously CBT is my first hurdle.

Do I go for 2 hours of lessons on the geared bike for £70 (initial price for first 2hrs, £20/hr thereafter) prior to the CBT, or just head straight into the CBT with the possibility that I might need a retest with additional costs?

I'm thinking 2hrs of training on the bike might give me some confidence as a complete newbie.

I have just complete my CBT last Saturday having never ridden a geared (or otherwise) bike before, and i "passed" no problem

It's not an actual test (Compulsary Basic Training), so you can't really fail, but you may be asked to come back for further training if they feel you require it

What i am going to do is to take my CBT+, which is additional training over and above what is required for the CBT sylabus, but luckily living in Derbyshire, the council will actually pay the lions share, so it will only cost me around £15 for another half a days training

EDIT: blimey, got in there before Tef, the joys of not having to write an essay for each post Wink

Last edited by rpsmith79 on 12:38 - 24 Feb 2017; edited 2 times in total

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:35 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been over this Compulsary Basic TRAINING!!
T = TRAIN not test!
It is well scripted 'first lesson'.. DO as a FIRST lesson!
You cant legally do any road trainng until you have completed CBT anyway.
IF you don't progress sufficiently to 'complete' CBT in the original 'fist lesson' period, notionally 8hrs, you may need to return for further T-TRAINNG, Not repeat NOT a 're-test' T-Training.. got it yet?

Any training you do prior to CBT will be CBT training.. off-public-road, until you do the road section of CBT and 'complete' to be taken on the road or allowed ot on L's on your own.

It cat be anything but.

Logic says.. book CBT... do training.... if you 'complete' subject is mute. If you dot and need further training.. then buy the additional CBT training then.. when yu know you need it.

Ride THIS bit of road you is on, remember..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As tef has said the cbt is considered your first lesson, no need for any prior training, most places will let you redo at a later date for free, or even at a discount.

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:40 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look around a lot of places will offer to let you pay an extra £10-20 for a "Guaranteed pass" (I can feel Tef twitching at that phrase from here) which means if they decide you need more training after the first session there is no more fees on top.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:44 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, pretty much. It's all training, just make sure that you're getting what you're paying for.

And don't assume that it's a 1 day course. It's until you've reached a minimum (and it is minimal) standard of riding, so speak to the test centre about the costs of extra days.

If they know that you're going straight on to DAS then they're more likely to give you a "pass" knowing that you'll be back to get more training the next day anyway.

biker_boy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:44 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, ok. My mistake. Thanks for the clarification.

I should have paid attention as to the meaning of CBT.

I'll book it asap and get cracking.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it too much, just take it as an introductory course to riding

Kid I did my CBT with had to come back for more training, it happens, but you'll be fine

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 people I work with passed first time without issue. Neither had so much as sat on a bike, let alone ridden one before.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Lesson? Reply with quote

Don't waste money, as said above...need Cbt to ride on road....do it, then come back and ask for further advice.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 55 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1