Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Payout, Promotion, Postmortem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

venari
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:46 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Payout, Promotion, Postmortem Reply with quote

I was made redundant in September last year. The company gave me a great payout and I had a few exciting days trying to imagine what I might do with my life now I have all this money and was free from the job I hated.

But then I got incredibly lucky and was offered a job at my old firm's biggest competitor just 4 days after accepting redundancy. Much more money and more perks, I couldn't argue and took the job straight away.

I'm now about 4 months into my new job and I feel exactly the same as I did at my previous job.

Now I know I'm really in no position to complain... but.....

TLDR; Lucky bastard got redundancy money and pay rise but now wants to chuck it all away.

I'm 26, a home owner, recently married with no kids.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you rather do?
You're young enough to stick at the dull job and go on to to have your own business and get bored with that too if you like.

Life sucks and then you die.
How you play it along the way is what makes the difference.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:01 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You pose the dilemma many are faced with. Which is the best reward?
On one hand doing something you love often comes with crap salary but doing something you don't enjoy bring monetary rewards. Which is better.
a few are lucky and find a role they enjoy and pays good money. Many are face with doing a role that the don't enjoy but also has crap pay.
Some get to choose.
I look back and my carreer and often think it would have been better to do something for less ££££'s but more satisfaction. Then I look at my kids who had a secure roof over their heads. A house with no mortgage. Pics of the kids doing all the stuff they loved as they grew up, racing karts, riding horses, sailing. Went on school trips they wanted to. Had nice phones, clothes etc. You get the picture.
I've reached the age where fixed outgoings are considerably less income so me and my wife can buy the things we want without worry or guilt.
So on balance, for me, it's been worth it.
For you? Well only you can answer that.

venari
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:48 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ideal job would be a custom motorbike workshop.

I know it's a pretty unrealistic / low-profit idea but it's something I would enjoy doing.

My other passion is sustainable construction - not just in terms of "better insulated social housing" etc, something more specifically eco friendly. Trouble is nobody is really doing this yet apart from as a side business. I would love to set up my own company doing this but I don't have enough experience in it.

My dad hated his job and worked his socks off, saving all his money until he was able to retire at 40. We never saw him as kids because he was always working but I have massive respect for him.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:12 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Payout, Promotion, Postmortem Reply with quote

venari wrote:
I'm 26, a home owner

I doubt that. Renting from the bank, right? Pay it off, and pay it off ASAP. Live your dream when you own your own bricks and mortar.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh.

Money isn't everything.

Do something you half enjoy, you're a long time dead.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 20:07 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Payout, Promotion, Postmortem Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
venari wrote:
I'm 26, a home owner

I doubt that. Renting from the bank, right? Pay it off, and pay it off ASAP. Live your dream when you own your own bricks and mortar.

Yep - so much this.

Compounded interest is a cunt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your wife a work focused GP or corporate lawyer? Yes = do what you want / can get away with while still remaining married.
Are you, or more importantly the wife, planning on having children in the next 10 years? Yes = -1 salary for an indefinite period of time, unless the answer to Q1 was Yes, in which case she'll be back to work within 3 months.

Bare in mind that your career will develop and your daily job will change. Hopefully you will be able to pursue more interesting work as that happens, or you can accept that work = money, not fulfilment.
Then again, if it fills you with despair you probably should leave.

Last edited by BTTD on 08:40 - 23 Feb 2017; edited 1 time in total

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:14 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get paid to do my job because I wouldn't do it otherwise.

That basically sums up for me the nature of employment.

I tend to think that anyone who says they 'enjoy' their work is using a different definition of the word to me. Cognitive dissonance to keep you sane, innit.

1) don't spend it all. this one is rather important.

choice of:

2a) work your arse off and retire early, hoping you don't die or become hilariously unhealthy first.

2b) large periods of not working between working.

If you don't earn enough to do either of those I'd think you're fucked. Most of us are. Fix it or develop those coping mechanisms.

venari
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:05 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:
I get paid to do my job because I wouldn't do it otherwise.

That basically sums up for me the nature of employment.

I tend to think that anyone who says they 'enjoy' their work is using a different definition of the word to me. Cognitive dissonance to keep you sane, innit.

1) don't spend it all. this one is rather important.

choice of:

2a) work your arse off and retire early, hoping you don't die or become hilariously unhealthy first.

2b) large periods of not working between working.

If you don't earn enough to do either of those I'd think you're fucked. Most of us are. Fix it or develop those coping mechanisms.

Wise words I suspect.

But I spend so much of my life at work I want it to be something I feel will make a positive contribution. If I set up my own company and did well out of it I could offer other people the chance to have a positive career and that alone is surely reason enough to do it?

I look around me and I see everyone as equal. I believe intellect can be learnt (or at least faked) and I don't see those higher up or lower down the working ladder as anything more than another person. Sure, some are highly experienced, some have the gift of the gab, and some are just more trustworthy but I don't think any of those are inherent to individuals. They are learnt behaviours and skills.

So if we are all equal, why can't I do any job? I think that with time I could do any job that any other human could do. Prove me wrong.

So why am I working for a company where I totally disagree with the whole ethos of it?

Surely I can do better?

venari
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:11 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Payout, Promotion, Postmortem Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Yep - so much this.

Compounded interest is a cunt.

Very true, 65% of my home is owned by the bank and yet the Mrs thinks it's time to upgrade.

I am 26, if I paid off my mortgage over the next 10 years I would be 36 and therefore grown up and sensible. I can't trust myself to do the stupid stuff I want to do now when I'm 36.

venari
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:25 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

davethekwak wrote:
I look back and my carreer and often think it would have been better to do something for less ££££'s but more satisfaction. Then I look at my kids who had a secure roof over their heads. A house with no mortgage. Pics of the kids doing all the stuff they loved as they grew up, racing karts, riding horses, sailing. Went on school trips they wanted to. Had nice phones, clothes etc. You get the picture.
I've reached the age where fixed outgoings are considerably less income so me and my wife can buy the things we want without worry or guilt.

Sorry but to me this is bullshit.

As I think I previously mentioned my parents are technically millionaires and yet we had very little growing up. For example: shared bedrooms, 5th hand bicycles to cycle 4 miles to school on, no tv, no family holidays, Christmas presents limit of £5 lol

It has definitely affected how I live my life today in a positive way. I am comfortable without the biggest TV, the best or newest motorbike, going on holiday or eating out.

Before you say it: No, I am not in the will and neither are my siblings. My parents weren't born into money and they make it quite clear that we should be the same.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

venari wrote:
davethekwak wrote:

Sorry but to me this is bullshit.

As I think I previously mentioned my parents are technically millionaires and yet we had very little growing up. For example: shared bedrooms, 5th hand bicycles to cycle 4 miles to school on, no tv, no family holidays, Christmas presents limit of £5 lol

It has definitely affected how I live my life today in a positive way. I am comfortable without the biggest TV, the best or newest motorbike, going on holiday or eating out.

Before you say it: No, I am not in the will and neither are my siblings. My parents weren't born into money and they make it quite clear that we should be the same.

you need to have a word with your parents Laughing dont think that's bullshit either. I work my c*nt off at a job that i don't particularly enjoy so my family can have a roof over their head and nice things NOW. Not in 10 years when i might not be able to see them enjoy them due to quadrospaz/eboli/drankmyselfintooblivion.

If your parents had the money but were too tight to enjoy it, that's their doing. Mine didn't have the money, so by extension we couldn't enjoy it.

Work = money.
How much or how little of it depends entirely on what you're prepared to do for it.

If you're comfortable now and have no kids (dont have kids, they're c*nts) then do what you love. Eventually, it will likely be a chore as well. It doesnt all stay 'fun' forever. Owning your business comes with stresses and financial issues too and i would think, after a while doing it, possibly with no success given the industry, you'd have likely been better off sticking with the well paid day job and spending the free (child free too, bastard) time building bikes as a hobby.

That way, one funds the other.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:50 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

venari wrote:

While I agree that kids have to learn to stand on their own feet.

I feel sorry for you that your parents have decided to take their kids out of the will.

As a parent, it is your responsibility to look after your family. Yes you can make then work for their own life. But to cut them out of what you scrimped and saved for... That is a real smack in the face says to me "We could not care less about you".

As we say, "What goes round comes round"

Should they get to the point of needing help... Knowing that you won't be getting a penny
Do you.
A, still look after them
or
B, Think WTF, why should I given I'm getting nothing out of it....

This coming from someone who has spent the last 5 years looking after their mother, to keep her out of a care home...
Payback is nice after they looked after me when I was young. But if the knowledge that what they worked for was going elsewhere..... Would you do the same.

I will do everything I can to ensure that my daughter has the best start in life. Even If it means her not paying board, so she can bukild up savings for a deposit to move out...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 34 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1