Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Contesting a will.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

kippyzona
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:36 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Contesting a will. Reply with quote

My dad remarried the she bitch from hell. He died 11 years ago and any mention of a will was met by the she bitch with " he left it all to me".
Not that there was much to leave except the house.
She has now died and I'm sure in her will she will have left it all to her sponging son.
My dad worked hard to provide the house ,while she never worked a day.
She may have released equity through one of those schemes on the telly so I'm not sure who now owns the property.
If she has left everything to her scum bastard can I contest the will?
Can I find out who owns the house somehow? I have and want absolutely no contact with the pond dwelling parasites.
How would I go about reading both my dads will and hers?

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:57 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to speak to a solicitor who does Probate work. But I would suspect your shot was when your father passed and you may have left it too long to do anything. Go and speak to a solicitor though.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick Google shows that you have 12 years (under the Limitations Act 1980) to contest a will for inheritance so get your skates on.

You should probably have acted sooner. Even if you can prove she lied and concealed a legal will, it's going to be hard to sue a corpse.

Also, if 11 years have passed since your father's death it's going to be hard to separate out his financial position (from hers) at the time he died as she has had control of his assets for 11 years.

It's going to cost you in legal and court fees.

Why didn't you do anything at the time your father died?

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:17 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Contesting a will. Reply with quote

kippyzona wrote:

How would I go about reading both my dads will and hers?

https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

Pays your monies and get the will (if there was one).

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:08 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father spoke to a solicitor about this a number of years ago. He was in a much simpler position of being the only living relative of his Aunt (my Great Aunt) who had dementia but was somehow compos mentis enough to give some creepy solicitor firm power of attorney and also to change her will to leave all her money to a vicar who had moved away years before and never paid her any attention anyway.

The solicitor advising him basically said 'don't bother'. Unless you're dependent on the money, a direct relative and you can prove that there was coercion, mental incapacity or some other mitigating circumstance it's just not worth it. It'll cost too much money to take it to court and you're already a degree of separation away from being the beneficiary.

Obviously check with a solicitor, but you're probably out of luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BakesBeans
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:50 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Contesting a will. Reply with quote

Cost £10.00

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Contesting a will. Reply with quote

BakesBeans wrote:

Cost £10.00

you didn't see this two posts up and two days ago? Rolling Eyes

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can find out who owns a property on the land registry: https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the deeds to a house that I nearly bought last year and it came up saying the owner was both the seller and the bank, whereas when I downloaded my parents to compare, it just listed them even though they're still mortgaged up.
So basically, if evil stepmother doesn't own the whole thing then it will show up.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 60 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1