Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:22 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going wrote:
Poecilotheria wrote:
I watch so many movies, own 5000 ish but starting to go digital anyone else doing that?.

Went digital as soon as I got the internet, now I don't have to worry where all my DVDs are.

DVD is also a digital format. Razz

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone recommend something to put a DTS system to the test? Preferably with TrueHD or HD / HDMA, no Atmos or DTS:X Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Poecilotheria
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:21 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true it is a digital format Thumbs Up
The problem with streaming is that you can not find everything on there, I have some hard to get DVD's like wrongfully accused, monster dog, silence of the hams, martial law series etc. I want to go all digital would be so much easier and faster to pick through. Any idea's on best way to digitise all of them?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rip your DVDs with a ripping program?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:14 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Romance (1993)

Always avoided this because I thought as it was just written by Tarantino it was just an effort to cash in on his recent hits at the time. Boy was I wrong. I didn't realise it was the late great Tony Scott who directed it, and it is a very very good film. Very tightly scripted, if a little predictable and with an absolutely amazing cast. 8/10

John Wick (The original one)

Awesome. Proper action movie. Not much plot, not much in the way of dialogue, but the action is amazing. 7/10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonlight 4.5/10 - ghetto brokeback mountain just about sums it up. I don't understand why critics are getting so wet for this, it had its moments, but it seemed to randomly stumble through different ideas before settling on one unspectacular narrative.

There were some good scenes, but a lot of it was nothing more than shaky/blurry shots which apparently's the work of a great director? It's fair to say this film was lost on me, watch it do really well at the Oscars Smile

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lion 7/10 - I was expecting another slumdog millionaire (which I didn't really care for), but this was a lot better and felt more grown-up. Make sure you get the tissues ready as this will be some emotional shit Smile

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
John Wick (The original one)

Question

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poecilotheria wrote:
The problem with streaming is that you can not find everything on there, I have some hard to get DVD's like wrongfully accused, monster dog, silence of the hams, martial law series etc. I want to go all digital would be so much easier and faster to pick through. Any idea's on best way to digitise all of them?

I am after a film on DVD that I can't get hold of in reaigon 2

Its an old charlie scheen film about bikers

Called fixing the shadow/ beyond the law
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:53 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Girlfriend's Day (2017) - 6/10

Quite unusual film with Bob Odenkirk being the greeting card writer. It was alright, I like Bob Odenkirk aka Saul Goodman.

Poecilotheria
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:59 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
Poecilotheria wrote:

I am after a film on DVD that I can't get hold of in reaigon 2

Its an old charlie scheen film about bikers

Called fixing the shadow/ beyond the law

You can get it on R2, I had/have a copy of it but the only difference is the subs are in polish but english soundtrack. One of the many dvd's im yet to claim back from loan. I generally go the round about route, all my rareish ones are R2 but through other countries, genuine copies but odd names and subs. Like wrongfully accused is named scarouney or something like that.

There are not enough biker movies, someone needs to turn road rash into a movie.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transformers: The one where they battle for the moon or something.

6 / 10

Not a bad film but really let itself down with the female supporting role.

A Brit girl who looked and acted like the off-screen version of herself is a ditsy bimbo type who'd shipped herself across the pond and only got into the movie business via looks and 'Britishness'.

Quick google and I was right. She's a lingerie model who can now apparently act in mega-budget blockbusters.

So I rate the film lower than it deserves, on principle Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:31 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingsman - 6/10

A credible try, but the tone, pacing and story is uneven. Is it a straight superspy film? A Bond pastiche? It's not really sure. It wants to be a big production, but it's dragging the anchor of a few small screen performers. Samuel L. Motherfucking Jackson in his Arctic lair, and that tart from Game On in a council flat in the same film is too much of a thematic spectrum. Also, one of the main characters suffers from the Indiana Jones problem - their screen time is effectively irrelevant to the plot.

Worth a watch, but the hole thing really needed the tone of the prison cell scene.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 17:44 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nocturnal Animals - 7/10

A solid film here quite nicely shot (cutting between fiction and non-fiction) and also a little heavy on the subject. Jake Gyllenhaal is quite an under rated actor, he always plays these strange characters but does it very well.

Michael Shannon is cool and everything but he's a bit monotone in everything he does. Every film and show I've seen him in, his performances appear sedated and lack lustre. I do like him but he's a bit samey.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Kingsman - 6/10

A credible try, but the tone, pacing and story is uneven. Is it a straight superspy film? A Bond pastiche? It's not really sure. It wants to be a big production, but it's dragging the anchor of a few small screen performers. Samuel L. Motherfucking Jackson in his Arctic lair, and that tart from Game On in a council flat in the same film is too much of a thematic spectrum. Also, one of the main characters suffers from the Indiana Jones problem - their screen time is effectively irrelevant to the plot.

Worth a watch, but the hole thing really needed the tone of the prison cell scene.

Seemed more like an industry-backed attempt at telling British yoots that they too can be the elite 1%ers they've grown to hate.

Also the church scene as a standalone section is a solid 9/10.

Spoiler.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:11 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was decent, but then I went into it with low expectations (which always helps).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:34 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Also the church scene as a standalone section is a solid 9/10.

That highlights one of the problems that I have with it.

Firth is a very solid actor, but he is solid. All his decent roles are grounded in reality. In Nanny McPhee, per exemplar, his resolutely mundane performance is a pitch-perfect counterpoint to the fantastical shenanigans.

Which is exactly why his role in Kingsman doesn't work for me. That over-extended Matrix level CGI shizzle just doesn't sit well with his actual acting. The disjoint is too great, that's the core of inconsistency that keeps jarring me out of immersement.

Also, there's no tits and only one arse.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:53 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) 6.5/10 - second time I've seen this, on first viewing I wasn't that impressed compared to the previous film (Rise...) which was brilliant. However it's actually pretty good, looking forward to the next one out later this year.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:02 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trespass Against Us (UK) - 6/10

Alright film about a man who tries to get away from his scum dad and his friends. There are some good car chases and stunts, well known cast, good performance of Fassbender and Gleeson.

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:08 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Man Down 8/10.

45 minutes in you're starting to think about ditching it, what the fuck was Shia thinking of doing a plot like this, then another 20 minutes and the plot-hammer drops. Yeah, didn't see that one coming. Shocked

Pretty much as per description there.
I nearly chucked the towel in after half an hour thinking WTF but was worth it in the end.
I blamed his wife for it, she let her man down.
7.52/10

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:44 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allied - 8/10

WW2, spies, nazis, unexpected plot twists. Solid 8/10, although 1/3 of the film was basically all in French and I'm not a fan of the now aging Marion Cotillard, I'm glad I didn't turn the film off.

Also, some of the cameos were just odd. For instance Lizzy Caplan.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who do we think is going to make the biggest arsehole of themselves at the Oscars?

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 23:23 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
So who do we think is going to make the biggest arsehole of themselves at the Oscars?

Probably Meryl Streep but a slightly less intellectual celebrity will probably also have a go and make a much worse job of it that nobody was expecting even those levels of retardation.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:43 - 27 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

Awesome review there...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:52 - 27 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killing Them Softly 7/10

You'd expect this to be pretty good, with a cast that includes Ray Liotta, James Gandolfino and Brad Pitt. Gritty tale of contract killers, atmospherically filmed (didn't catch who the director was), and fitted in with my new reading taste of crime novels. The other actors (who I didn't recognise from elsewhere) also gave good performances.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 60 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 109 of 194