Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Whos got a Supermoto?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Valver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 01 Mar 2005    Post subject: Whos got a Supermoto? Reply with quote

Hi, just swapped my TL1000R for a Husky 610SMR.
I'm looking for general advice on where to source parts, servicing, track days and maybe just to meet up with other moto lovers for a back road thrash. Very Happy

Cheers,

Dave.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:50 - 01 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a tyre spot in Buckie who were pretty cheap when I lived up at Huntly a few years ago. They mainly did car tyres but could get pretty much anything in for you. Believe me, your life will be a never ending quest for cheap, sticky tyres from now-on Wink

Must've been very cheap come to think of it, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered slogging all the way from Huntly to Buckie when there are 10 or 15 closer tyre places.

Valver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 01 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
There is a tyre spot in Buckie who were pretty cheap when I lived up at Huntly a few years ago. They mainly did car tyres but could get pretty much anything in for you. Believe me, your life will be a never ending quest for cheap, sticky tyres from now-on Wink

Must've been very cheap come to think of it, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered slogging all the way from Huntly to Buckie when there are 10 or 15 closer tyre places.

Nice one, Cheers!
I've got plenty of tyres just now but i'll be looking for some slicks for the rear very soon.

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 01 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should get in touch with Strathearn Tyres in Crieff (2 mins walk from me).

They provide race tyres at Knockhill, and are very cheap.

What make/sizes you after? I could pop in and ask they guy for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:35 - 01 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

valver wrote:

I've got plenty of tyres just now but i'll be looking for some slicks for the rear very soon.

Erm, do you mean slicks, or just road tyres?

Slicks are definitely not reccomended for non-track use. Even on track it's fairly essential you have tyre warmers.

Tread allows the tyre to heat up much quicker as the blocks of rubber can move about more.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 19:43 - 01 Mar 2005    Post subject: Re: Whos got a Supermoto? Reply with quote

valver wrote:

Wouldn't be this TLR by any chance? Wink

Valver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Re: Whos got a Supermoto? Reply with quote

Yams wrote:
valver wrote:

Wouldn't be this TLR by any chance? Wink

Sure was! Very Happy Don't show mw pics like that! It brings a tear to my eye! Crying or Very sad
Quote:
Erm, do you mean slicks, or just road tyres?

I mean slicks for track use, thanks but as i said, i'm not to fussed about tyres just now.

cc123
Geez a joab?

PostPosted: 10:21 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Yam's, you didn't happen to buy valvers TL did you?

That was a lovely bike..... Thumbs Up

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 11:03 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

cc123 wrote:
Hey Yam's, you didn't happen to buy valvers TL did you?

That was a lovely bike..... Thumbs Up

Nah, but I know the bloke who did!

Valver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here Yams! maybe you can answer my question.

How do you clean the air filters on these lil bikes? Is it just like K&N cleaner or something or do you actually have to change the filter?

Mine is soaked in ming!

Quote:
Do you know Kurt well or just from the visordown site?

cc123
Geez a joab?

PostPosted: 13:19 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Do you lot post on both sites then?

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 13:29 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

valver wrote:
Here Yams! maybe you can answer my question.

How do you clean the air filters on these lil bikes? Is it just like K&N cleaner or something or do you actually have to change the filter?

Mine is soaked in ming!

Quote:

Just from v/down site.. migth have met him at a meet.. no ideea?! doubt it

Air filters.. well I just cleaned mine in warm soapy water, left it to dry then you stick it in a carrier bag, spray loads of foam filter oil in there and then rub all the oil in (hence carrier bag to not get oil all over you..) then you re-fit it..

if it's really covered in shit you can always get a new one, only a tenner or so!

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 13:29 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

cc123 wrote:
Do you lot post on both sites then?

Yes, I am active member on v/down - only SM section though.. don't bother with general etc.

Valver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Yams!
Is air filter oil expensive?
What is the best engine oil for these bikes? 5-40 pro4?
I think Jellyfinger will be pretty delighted with the TL, its a great bike. I'm just happy to get a supermoto at last! Its so much better for than the TL on my local roads coz half of them are single track and twisty as hell! I'm amazed at how easy they are to ride!
Most of my riding has been on pure road bikes apart from motoX as a kid but the tail happy style only took an hour or so to get to grips with. It far from mastered tho-i'm not that cocky!

My only worry is that a bike like this inspires extreme confidence on the road. It would be so easy to get over excited! Laughing

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 14:50 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

valver wrote:
Cheers Yams!
Is air filter oil expensive?
What is the best engine oil for these bikes? 5-40 pro4?

No, air filter oil is pretty cheap... most bike shops/garages/halfords will stock it - few quid for a spray tin..

Engine oil, well I use Motorex Semi Synth, have used it for my R6, WR400 and KTM with no problems Thumbs Up and will continue to use it in the KTM..

Supermotos are good fun, you can ride them faster down twisty lanes for various reasons, all good fun Smile

cc123
Geez a joab?

PostPosted: 14:54 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Supermotos are good fun, you can ride them faster down twisty lanes for various reasons, all good fun

Good at wheelies too?

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 14:56 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

cc123 wrote:
Quote:
Supermotos are good fun, you can ride them faster down twisty lanes for various reasons, all good fun

Good at wheelies too?

Bikes only wheely as well as the rider.. KTM is easier to loft the front from standard but gear an R6 the same and the R6 will be just as easy/easier! Out of the box though, wheelies are easier on supermoto Cool

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorely tempted by getting a KLR650 next, about the only thing I'm vaguely put off by is the saddle height. Confused If it's 34", and I have inside leg of about 31" being 6' tall, I take it that that's a tiptoe situation? Perhaps I just need to get more confidence with heavy tall bikes, and an unbreakable one would be handy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 15:40 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaggis wrote:
I'm sorely tempted by getting a KLR650 next, about the only thing I'm vaguely put off by is the saddle height. Confused If it's 34", and I have inside leg of about 31" being 6' tall, I take it that that's a tiptoe situation? Perhaps I just need to get more confidence with heavy tall bikes, and an unbreakable one would be handy.

6ft and 31 inside leg??

I'm 5"6 and have a 32 inside leg Laughing I can touch feet down on my KTM / WR etc and the KLR I'm pretty sure is lower, so you'll be fine.

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yams wrote:

6ft and 31 inside leg??

I'm 5"6 and have a 32 inside leg Laughing I can touch feet down on my KTM / WR etc and the KLR I'm pretty sure is lower, so you'll be fine.

I'll admit I've not measured it in a while, but I don't think it's anything better than 32". Thinking Maybe I'm just out of proportion. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

juggla
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:24 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

err... wont the suspension compress when you get on it??

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

juggla wrote:
err... wont the suspension compress when you get on it??

Yes, but how much is anyone's guess. The art of mounting a supermoto could be an interesting one to master. Smile I'd just like to be able to get both feet down if I could on a new bike to reduce the chances of dropping it.

Of course this is all speculation ahead of doing this stuff in the summer, but it doesn't hurt to think about it.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 21:46 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaggis wrote:
The art of mounting a supermoto could be an interesting one to master. Smile

Easy... I'm only 5"6 and manage it..

I take bike off stand, engine running, left foot on peg, knock it into gear.. pull away then swing right leg over .. sorted Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:34 - 03 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaggis wrote:

Yes, but how much is anyone's guess. The art of mounting a supermoto could be an interesting one to master.

It is even more interesting with two 40 litre rigid panniers on the racks. I leave it on the stand then start about four feet from the bike and facing it on the side opposite the stand. I kick my left leg up and hop towards the bike at the same time so my leg lands up on top of the saddle. I then pull the bike towards me off the stand and I'm on it.

Did you see my mates writeup about his KLR?
https://www.ednet.co.uk/~pmsolutions/Tramps/images/Bikes/KLR/KLR_OZ.htm

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 03 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Yes thanks. Smile It was almost my primary inspiration. Very Happy Very well written piece, and if nothing else, confirmed that a big single is fine for big distances.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 60 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1