Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Khan's plan to 'De Traffic' London. Entirely.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:07 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Khan's plan to 'De Traffic' London. Entirely. Reply with quote

MAG wrote:
As to TfL and the Mayor, this is what they plan to do: The master plan, to which the Mayor, his Deputy and TfL are now cosily signed up, is to: 'De-Traffic' London.

In essence the 'de-traffic' plan means they intend to eradicate motorised vehicle use from the Capital. The fact that this has never been done in any city anywhere on the planet was acknowledged – as were the impossibilities of achieving such aims and objectives.

Nevertheless, that's the plan and the Mayor and TfL are now hell bent on delivering it.

The upshot of this is that TfL will be running full steam ahead to narrow traffic lanes to stop motorbikes filtering or overtaking – and simply taking traffic lanes out altogether.

https://wiki.mag-uk.org/images/8/8e/Network_2017-03.pdf

https://content.tfl.gov.uk/healthy-streets-for-london.pdf

Enjoy your literal 1-horsepower commute, chaps.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 12:29 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bet he will still manage to open it back up again once a year for the rich kids from saudi to drive around in their lambos though Laughing .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UN Agenda 21 in full swing.

Also see they want to give traffic Wombles more powers too. Ha!

Very interesting times. Any suggestions on how to stop it all?

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:51 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The senses don't lie. Look at him, his height, his weak physique and his face. He doesn't know strength or courage. He has no personal individuality or character at all. He isn't a leader type, but someone's puppet. Nature cannot be defied so easily. Whose puppet? Sorry to say, the usual saheb/memsaheb to whom he feels inferior. Old school stuff. He isn't cut from the right cloth to be independent leadership material. The guy is full of fear.

You want him gone? You could do it but he'd be replaced. Plenty more where he came from. Better that he sees the light. At the moment he fears the shadow of his masters' black arts, but they haven't actually touched him. Find out what he's doing, get the evidence a la Keith Vaz, and then ask him to look at these issues again.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Khan's plan to 'De Traffic' London. Entirely. Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

OMG they actually mention motorcycles Shocked
Seriously they've devoted one whole word to us.

What next? Perhaps they'll increase the government budget for safer motorcycling by £1, giving a total budget of £1. Perhaps they could take it out of the £billion (almost) they're spending on cyclists.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father was born and grew up in Islington (long before it became worth £m's) and subsequently spent his working life in London too (Belgravia). He always drove into work, then later as the traffic got worse started using a motorbike for the commute (1980's). He never used the train in and out of the city because he started early and worked late = infrequent and often unreliable trains. He also liked his cars and bikes.
He once told me that the best thing they could do in the central few miles of London would be to pedestrianize it, get rid of the busses and bring back trams. I remember being really surprised as he hated walking and public transport.
His reasoning was:
Busses spew out tons of crap, get rid.
Central London is a fairly small area, and you can actually walk a lot of places quicker than getting a tube. Slightly longer journeys = tube or... empty streets with a decent tram system that isn't getting stuck in traffic - hop on hop off, easy fast and clean.

It sounds like they're slowly heading that way, but with bicycles as the main mode of transport and not getting rid of the filth spewing busses.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

One place they could almost completely pedestrianize is the City Of London a.k.a. the Square Mile. But I guess this would mildly inconvenience a lot of very rich, very self-important people, so it'll never happen.

(Yes I know Sadiq Khans' influence only extends to the riff-raff outside of the city walls).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:20 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Yes I know Sadiq Khans' influence only extends to the riff-raff outside of the city walls.

But he can stop motor-equipages from reaching or leaving the City.

I can't imagine how deliveries will work. Rickshaws? Horse and cart?

Ambulance, mate? Need to feed Dobbin first.

Oh, there will of course need to be Zil Lanes for "vital" traffic.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:23 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

London has an unprescedented level of devolution and self-government and yet they STILL manage to elect politicians who implement seemingly fuckwitted and universally unpopular policies.

So, I can only conclude that the majority of the people doing the voting are the fuckwits. If the people of London weren't fuckwits, they wouldn't propose then elect fuckwitted representatives with fuckwitted policies.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:27 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I missed it during my skimming of that propaganda leaflet, two words I didn't notice in respect to public transport are 'cheap' or 'free'.

A free hop on, hop off tram/bus system. A free or nominal priced tube system I could go along with as far as commuters and tourists go.

However I don't live in London so don't really give a rats arse what they do as I live in about the only city in the UK specifically designed with the car in mind. Dual carriage ways pretty well everywhere off the estates. Luxury Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:27 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like all the cyclist haters are going to have to get on their bikes. Thumbs Up

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason to remove or alter your number plate and carry on as normal. Mr. Green

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the congestion charge was (supposedly) to ease congestion, and now they're actively seeking to increase it? Surely it needs to be scrapped then?

Khan's a tw@, despite the propaganda about the short term inconvenience when they were building all the cycling infrastructure, everyone could see they were reducing road capacity.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Khan's a tw@

Boris was a twat as well, gave forty-two million quid to Enfield council to build cycle lanes. That works out at about four million quid per Enfield-cyclist.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What will they do for money when they ban cars in the centre. Change the congestion zone to anything inside the M25?

Actually, how far out does London extend, the London that the Mayor can affect?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
M.C wrote:
Khan's a tw@

Boris was a twat as well, gave forty-two million quid to Enfield council to build cycle lanes. That works out at about four million quid per Enfield-cyclist.

But he was an entertaining, Khan's just embarrassing.

Polarbear wrote:
What will they do for money when they ban cars in the centre. Change the congestion zone to anything inside the M25?

Actually, how far out does London extend, the London that the Mayor can affect?

Khan wants the ULEZ to extend to the north and south circular roads.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 50 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1