Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CCTV cameras - which ones?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: CCTV cameras - which ones? Reply with quote

I have a 3 camera setup at the moment, but my cameras are crap.

Supposedly HD 900 TVL, but are a cheap make an struggle to make out details etc.

what you guys are running?

Swann seems reasonable, but are they just snide rubbish aswell?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

flat spot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of Arlo Q pro although I don't have them

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former CCTV tech/sales.

Replace the lot if they are pure analogue. I know you've probably sunk a lot into it, but you will (probably) be limited by the processor in the DVR.

If you are prepared to order from China, you can get a decent AHD DVR for £25 or so. Cameras are £25-50. Quality is surprisingly good. I have one sat behind me that replaced an 8 channel DVR that cost me well over £500 not that long ago (3 years?), and slays it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AHDM-N-DVR-4Channel-8Channel-CCTV-AHD-DVR-AHD-M-Hybrid-DVR-1080P-NVR-4in1-Video/32624373815.html

AHD Camera's are also readily available from there, or any other Chinese electronics goods place.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hikvision do some nice HD dome cameras for around £100.

Installed a couple for my sister feeding into a Synology NAS.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use Swann kit around our plant for monitoring of the production lines, they're good kit, as far as I'm concerned and sit in some rotten areas, around 40 °C and plasticiser vapour for example.

Interested in that china china china stuff mentioned above to give myself a little home security project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

diesel dog
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:45 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Hikvision for a while.

A 4 channel NVR with 3TB, hooked up to a 2532iws 2.8mm camera set up on motion sensor. It cost £135 for the NVR, £135 for the camera and £100 for the 3TB and some cat 6 cabling bought in November 2015.

It makes my old system look like a grainy 1980's video picture. I can look at mine anywhere with net access and the picture itself at home on my laptop is very good.

It's performed faultless since I done the install last March and to date still has 1.2TB left before it starts to re record over it.

The only downfall is with Hikvision is they decided to increase the UK prices last year making it a bit less attractive. I was going to install another camera on there for the back garden but haven't felt the urge to get that done yet.
I'm not sure how the non UK equipment compares in price but as mine came with a 2 year UK warranty, I'd probably just bite the bullet and shop around for the 2nd camera from a UK supplier in case of any problems.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use iSpy (www.ispyconnect.com) and whatever wifi / IP cameras i can pick up. Currently got 4 running. They record directly to the NAS via the PC - admittedly you need a computer that's always on but mine is so that's fine.

Cameras are 720p so quality is more than good enough.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh now im all confused.

I have a DVR i can connect to via a browser & connect to through my phone through a horrible android app.

As far as im aware, my DVR is analogue?

Cameras are connected through a balun, then cat5 cable to the DVR then balun onto bnc.

Im not looking for National Geographic quality footage from cameras but, just seen cheap Hikvision cameras but will they work with my DVR?

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milestone all the way for me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 54 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1