Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Leaking GRP roof on day 1

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Leaking GRP roof on day 1 Reply with quote

What an unlucky day.

We've had a new flat roof fitted Friday and Saturday. The guys finished Saturday afternoon and all looked well.

Until that is, it rained. We asked them to put a forward slope on the roof so the water ran down and collected in a gutter which fed a drain in front of the garage.
It does that. but it also pools in behind the gutter, directly above the breaker box for the house which has a drip every 20-30 seconds landing directly on it. There are two other leaks AS WELL as an issue where the water misses the fking gutter, runs down the fascia board on the front of the house and lands directly on my front step Evil or Very Mad

The roof has also turned white, which as far as I've been able to find means it hasnt cured properly before getting wet so the fiber/topcoat is compromised.

Fuck.

It looks decent but the guys doing it evidently rushed the job to get it done ASAP.

I have called the company and asked them to fix it and their response is they'l likely come some time this week.

What are my options here?

I dont want them to 'repair' it. I want it all done right to begin with. I take it they shouldnt be surprised when i say rip it all off and start again?

Am i better off getting them to put traditional felt/tar over the top? I must admit i've lost all confidence i had built up with GRP.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did you pay them?

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
how did you pay them?

No money has left my hands

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:43 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpe2002 wrote:
duhawkz wrote:
how did you pay them?

No money has left my hands

Pay a deposit?

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 27 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Another reason why I would only use EPDM sheet on a flat roof. No joints at up to 30M x 30M and around £7 a square M.

I genuinely wish i had just gone with EPDM or traditional felt. As it was a time sensitive job i decided to pay someone to do it otherwise i would have had a go at doing it myself.

That old saying 'If you want something done right' springs to mind Evil or Very Mad

The guys have come and put another layer of topcoat on. Hopefully that is the end of it and its now water tight but i'm not holding my breathe.

Its the wrong time of year to be doing this as it keeps bloody raining.

robs321
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:27 - 27 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been talking to my mate, who is a roofer about doing my new workshop roof. He said he doesn't start doing GRP usually till spring is well and truly here, as its just to cold at the moment!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:42 - 27 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're borderline for some epoxies to cure at current temperatures.

The white may just be amine blush, which just happens sometimes and should wash off.

Has the epoxy actually gone off properly? Is it hard or still sticky/tacky?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:02 - 27 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last flat roof I did I coated at least 10 year old sundamaged damaged holey felt with 2 coats of Cromapol which is
the same stuff as the dearer market leader ACRYPOL. Applied by brush, it took 2 hours per coat to do a 20ft by 10ft
roof, hasn't let a drip in all winter. You can even do the job in the rain and whilst painting a damp roof. My first
coat went on in those conditions, the water just beads up on it even when the stuff is still wet.

Totally DIY able for anyone who can hold a paintbrush. I bought 2 x 20kg but 1 would be plenty for a similar
sized roof if the substrate is in better nick than mine was.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cromapol-Acrylic-Roof-Coat-Roof-Paint-Sealant-FREE-Brush-Gloves-20kg-/262845278872?var=&hash=item3d32ccaa98:m:m2i6hS1wietic62GbOcxglA

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 27 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs321 wrote:
I have just been talking to my mate, who is a roofer about doing my new workshop roof. He said he doesn't start doing GRP usually till spring is well and truly here, as its just to cold at the moment!

I suspect your mate has good reason for doing that Sad if i'd done a bit more research into it i would have come to the same conclusion.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 27 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinkwheel, it feels pretty hard rather than sticky so i'd imagine it has cured properly. They seem to have cured one of the leaks and fixed the issue with water shitting over the front door by moving the gutter up a bit Thumbs Up thats something at least.

there is still one leak dripping however i'm advised that it was due to a screw that was put in when securing the old boards to the new ones. As it has been redone with topcoat i'm told the drip should stop as it has been 'sealed' and 'waterproofed'.

TBF the guys seem decent blokes. I genuinely do hope this sorts it now (work guaranteed for 20 years i've found out) I have SOO much to do on the house but couldn't start until this was done

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 27 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

@grr666 i will keep that stuff in mind mate.

I'm currently building a 16 x 6.5 shed Cool and am and will be felting it over. That stuff (although pricey) would be ideal Thumbs Up First i have to put up 40ft of concrete posted fence with gravel boards.

Shed will be insulated and 'hopefully' damp proof. It will be a flat roof too due to space constraints

Yay for garage and epic shed Laughing

tony_d123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:19 - 27 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpe2002 wrote:
The guys have come and put another layer of topcoat on. Hopefully that is the end of it and its now water tight but i'm not holding my breathe.

If it's leaking it's the base fibre/resin coat that has failed. The top gel coat is very thin, cracks very easily and really is there just for aesthetics. Sorry, but if they have just reapplied another gel coat it's papering over the cracks. The only reliable long term solution is to strip the lot off and start again.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
sharpe2002 wrote:
@grr666 i will keep that stuff in mind mate.

I'm currently building a 16 x 6.5 shed Cool and am and will be felting it over. That stuff (although pricey) would be ideal Thumbs Up First i have to put up 40ft of concrete posted fence with gravel boards.

Shed will be insulated and 'hopefully' damp proof. It will be a flat roof too due to space constraints

Yay for garage and epic shed Laughing

EPDM it for Christs sake! All you have to do us glue one big sheet of rubber on it. I did my entire garage roof in 2 hours including trim panels and guttering.

Felt has joins, EPDM is one huge sheet.

Had a little look see and it seems better priced too Thumbs Up Has yours bleeched or faded in the sun at all?

robs321
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:20 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

EPDM it for Christs sake! All you have to do us glue one big sheet of rubber on it. I did my entire garage roof in 2 hours including trim panels and guttering.

Felt has joins, EPDM is one huge sheet.

I had EPDM on my flat roof and the fecking seagulls pecked holes through it! The GRP up there has been good 7 years now!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

robs321
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:35 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

I live in an area plagued by seagulls and have never had an issue. Why on earth would seagulls attack a sheet of rubber? I bet they're terrified of car tyres to.

Because they are cunts! Wink My Brothers firm carries out maintenance work for the NHS, at one of the hospitals nearby they are regularly repairing the EPDM roofs due to the gulls ripping it up!

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. No roof leaks since the boss came out and fixed the guys mistakes. He has knocked the VAT off the price of the work which is a nice (and welcomed )gesture Thumbs Up

Guttering is fixed and water is not jizzing all over my front door any more. It has rained non-stop since the fix. Overall the roof looks great and feels solid.

Faith restored in the businesses quality of workmanship and customer services.

I will be EPDMing my shed roof Laughing

and i agree, Seagulls are c*nts Laughing I had a mahoosive seagull steal not one, but my whole box of chips on Brighton pear. The bastard flew up to the roof and stared at me whilst he ate them
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 50 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1