Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Reccommend me a gaming PC for under 600

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Robster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reccommend me a gaming PC for under 600 Reply with quote

My ten year old P.O.S has finally bit the dust. Not played any games now for over a year but after having a go at BF1 and Resident Evil 7 the other weekend on a mates XBox I could fancy getting back into it - I miss my FPS shooters

Been years since I've built a PC and am fairly clueless on current technology and I'm also lazy. So I've decided to go for a pre-built box with warranty for a change. I've never got on with consoles and don't want one - need a PC for menial stuff as well. I figured 5-600 is a healthyish budget.

My requirements are:

- Able to play last year/current titles at reasonable quality - I'm not too fussed about how shiny the doorknobs are or how hairy a tiger is in Far Cry 4, just to be able to play them at reasonable frame rate. I'm thinking Titanfall 2, Doom and the like.

- Planning on hooking it up to a 50in TV in my living room and use a wireless keyboard and mouse combo, so graphics card will need HDMI port.

- Some degree of future proofing for upgradability, more RAM faster processor etc.

I have a 120 gb SSD drive in my old comp which is still working so can swap that in for the OS Thumbs Up

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:01 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd wait a few months and see how the new Ryzen cpu from AMD performs, along with what price the bundles will be.

You might be able to get a decent bundle for your budget.

Robster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea what that is but I'll have a look Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I priced up a system myself recently, under £600 you'd probably be looking at an i5/GTX 1060 system (to build). I'm also waiting to see what the new AMD chips are like, hopefully they're good or good enough that Intel get a bit twitchy with their prices.

Razzy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold out for the Ryzen 3 chipset, it's going to be by far the best value for money
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:54 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an AMD FX 8350 bundle for £230, and a GTX 1060 card for £200, with say £50 for RAM you're running right close to budget with case, PSU, SSD etc...

Have you got any components you can re-use? Case, system drive etc?

Last edited by MarJay on 14:56 - 24 Feb 2017; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I got an AMD FX 8350 bundle for £230, and a GTX 1060 card for £200, with say £50 for RAM you're running right close to budget with case, PSU, SSD etc...

Have you got any components you can re-use? Case, system drive etc?

I'll be reusing my SSD drive, and I could 're use my case. It's an Intel core2quad Q8300 but I guess it might fit a newer motherboard system. Would that processor run current stuff okay and where did you buy it all? I suppose I could chuck all that together

M.C. Wouldnt an I7 be a better purchase? Seen a couple systems going for the top end of my budget and wondering if it's worth the extra.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:56 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it from AWD-IT which seems to be reasonably priced. It runs Doom on full settings with a very smooth framerate.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:23 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also worth bearing in mind that more modern graphics cards have lower power requirements, so your current PSU might well be fine.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robster wrote:
M.C. Wouldnt an I7 be a better purchase? Seen a couple systems going for the top end of my budget and wondering if it's worth the extra.

For gaming, an i7 (hyperthreading) is a waste of money. An i5 K version with a Z chipset board is a way better gaming choice, spending the difference of an i7 on better GPU. Even a non K i5 should be more than enough. AVOID i3 and Pentium. Thumbs Up

Why is hyperthreading a waste of money, when gaming? Well, not many games, I can think of 1 game, benefit from it. Just to give you an idea what you pay for: an i5 6600 costs (here) 30% less than an i7 6700. The difference being the HT and 100Mhz. No in game performance difference though. The only one game that does benefit from HT is Cities skylines, by the way.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait for Ryzen.

https://i.imgur.com/jIPNuBp.png

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robster wrote:

I'd be putting the extra towards a GTX 1070 personally, and waiting for Ryzen (first chips are coming out next month).

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are dead set on amd wait a few weeks and go am4/ryzen.

Buying an 8350 is literally shitting money down the loo.

Edit

******also, money is better spent on a better graphics card than for a cutting edge cpu provided you are buying intel or waiting for the ryzen chips******

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:11 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:

The little ryzen 3 quad core should be gods gift to gamers. Hopefully it will be so obscenely cheap it might make me stiff.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:28 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
If you are dead set on amd wait a few weeks and go am4/ryzen.

Buying an 8350 is literally shitting money down the loo.

Edit

******also, money is better spent on a better graphics card than for a cutting edge cpu provided you are buying intel or waiting for the ryzen chips******

Well I happened to buy it before the Ryzen was announced... just my luck. To be honest I've been playing some reasonably cutting edge games on an AMD Athlon II X4 630 and an Nvidia GTX260, and it was just Grand Theft Auto V (and a blown motherboard) that pushed me to upgrade.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
To be honest I've been playing some reasonably cutting edge games on an AMD Athlon II X4 630 and an Nvidia GTX260, and it was just Grand Theft Auto V (and a blown motherboard) that pushed me to upgrade.

I'm struggling a bit with my X6 1055T/GTX 580. I'm looking at OC'ing and upgrading eventually.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Well I happened to buy it before the Ryzen was announced...

The 8350 was an unqualified bargain a few years ago, but buying one now is folly.

Robster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 27 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I may as well wait a bit then for the Ryzen. Moving out of the parents gaff next month and got myself a wee chromebook for the time being so I can do officey stuff, my worry is I've drifted away from gaming the last couple of years but stuff like Far Cry 4, Doom, Titanfall 2, that new Tom Clancey open world one etc. Have got me itching for more. Didn't want to shell out $600 and get bored again after a month!

I think I've got something like an 800 watt modular PSU in my old PC that might do in a modern system - cost me a pretty penny when I bought it a while back.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:55 - 27 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:

The 8350 was an unqualified bargain a few years ago, but buying one now is folly.

Of course. I looked at all the benchmarks, and the 8350 was basically the highest number of marks per £. Still not a bad CPU considering I was used to the Athlon II.

As I said, with my Nvidia GTX 1060 and 16gb of cheap DDR3 I can run Doom, GTAV, Deus Ex Mankind Divided and Assetto Corsa all on full settings without any framerate problems. I assume I'm getting over 60fps on all of those as I just don't notice the frame rate. I've not benchmarked all of them but I think I was getting over 100fps on Assetto Corsa...

What helped actually was a recent driver update for my graphics card which seemed to allow me to optimise the settings for individual games. When I did it, it seemed to change them all to max... *shrugs*. Apparently drivers make a massive different these days. I watched a youtube vid where a guy benchmarked loads of cards and he said the Radeon RX480 was improved nearly to the point of parity with the GTX1060 just with a driver update... so I'm wondering if Nvidia didn't want to be outdone and made a massive improvement on their drivers afterwards...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:53 - 27 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quick test with Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon (as pretty much everyone who reads the Geek Zone should have it for free) and the lowest frame rate I saw was 63fps.

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:51 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Reccommend me a gaming PC for under 600 Reply with quote

Not sure if anyone has covered this:

Robster wrote:
- Planning on hooking it up to a 50in TV in my living room and use a wireless keyboard and mouse combo, so graphics card will need HDMI port.

DisplayPort to HDMI adapters can be had for sub 10 quid in case you end up looking at something without HDMI.

My previous card had 4xDP I think with no HDMI. I might be mis-remembering.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm running an FX8320 with a Radeon r9 390.

Plays everything at 1080p absolutely fine, most things on 'ultra'

only really playing Overwatch and Rocket League at the mo though which are no problem for that setup.

Just built a machine for a friend with an i6500 and a gtx 1050 ti OC
for these games it performs pretty much the same as mine, total cost inc delivery of parts and a 250gb ssd and 2TB hdd was about £680.

Going forward however Id probably wait to see what Ryzen brings

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:36 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMD RYZEN 7 REVIEW.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wJQEHNYE7M
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 56 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1