Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bluetooth or other semi-portable speakers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:59 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Bluetooth or other semi-portable speakers Reply with quote

I want a speaker to stick on a shelf in the lounge because I am tired of hearing tinny shit phone speakers/radios. It hurts my brain.

Aux input only might be sufficient, Bluetooth would be easier as it would probably end up getting used more if I could just press a button on the phone (I have a car radio that does this). Battery is not a requirement as it'll probably be always plugged in anyway. Useful as a bonus.

Doesn't need to be mind blowingly loud, think Radio 4 over breakfast not skrillex on a saturday night (I have a wired set for that).

Budget is basically the least I can get away with for something not-shit. Say ~20 quid.

Things I did find:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-SoundCore-Dual-Driver-Distortion-Microphone/dp/B016MO90GW

30 quid. Only 6W. Reports are that the bass is naff.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Wireless-Bluetooth-Radiators-Subwoofers/dp/B0109TWZ54

44 quid. 20W. Looks a lot better but getting into the actual-money range where I'd give a shit if it breaks.

What think BCF? Anyone got an aliexpress/eBay special?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:06 - 27 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the second one, I have no complaints I use it in the bathroom. I'm not sure if you can leave it plugged in and on but it is easy to connect. 9/10 if I just turn it on my phone will just connect and start playing music etc. Usually takes 5-10 seconds.

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers chris. Bought it just before you posted (found an Amazon gift card and thought sod it).

Will report back when it gets here.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 28 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save, save and save some more.
I bought the mrs a Bose Sound touch 10, brilliant piece of kit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct answer is sonos play 1, you just need to find the extra £180 to pay for it.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through this recently. Did I want full-on Sono/Bose home sound system? Or a tinny speaker that I could carry? Given that all I wanted was for decent sound for listening to iDevice-based music (streamed or downloaded) I went for the Sony SRS XB3. Turns out it was a good choice.

In fact I got two - they can operate in a stereo mode (where each speaker plays a separate channel) or in a mono mode (both play the same output for extra room-filling volume). Or they can operate alone.

They are solid yet portable enough to take around the house or out-and-about. The battery lasts a good 24 hours (of play time). They are splash-proof and importantly they are loud (yet clear). They default to a 'Bass boost' mode which certainly does deliver some bass, but can be overpowering in a smaller room (like the bathroom) so I often switch it off.

I use them around the house for musack and at a recent kids' party for frenzied hyperglycaemic kids.

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaker arrived today. About as decent as I was expecting. Does the job with minimal fuss, sound quality about on par with my wired 2.1 system minus a bit of bass. I am slightly worried about what happens when the battery dies, but then I suppose it becomes either a DIY job or just permanently plugged in.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 27 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1