BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Driving a car with no MOT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:21 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Tritey, as sig says 'proud to be from Birmingham'. People from Wolverhampton would never say that while still breathing, but then again no one has ever been proud to come from Wolverhampton, unless they lived in Coventry first?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:51 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's not Tritey then by process of elimination, 'he' must be Dagmar who lives in the balloon dungeon. Wub
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car went for £30 less than it did with an MOT Laughing Interesting topic though if I find another one.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:27 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your luck's in for once - buy a lottery ticket. Wink

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the bidding pattern (I think the dealer's trying to bump up his prices) I reckon it gets relisted again. There's still hope Smile

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the same thing but only it is slightly, I once drove the first Rover 220 I bought home from Liverpool to Worcester without tax, when it was the old tax rules. I went full on M6 all the way and no issues were had.

I'd do the same again tomorrow taxless or without MOT if I found a must have nice condition rare car that wouldn't come up again very likely. Since buying that first car, in 5years I only saw two others with similar low miles, and previous owners, and one of which was a different engined variant.

Its still one of probably a handful of clean std examples I've seen at any show in the UK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:03 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
a handful of clean std

Thinking

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
Dave-G wrote:
The issue I have angryjonny is that like most keyboard warriors or people that throw mud you won't back it up.

You cast aspersions about someone and when asked to put up or shut up, you won't. See you Sunday or keep your powder dry, simples? no?

M.C wrote:
I don't think he's really Jasper Carrott.

No. I am not Jasper Carrott, I wish I had his bank account though M.C !

Jesus. I'm not claiming you're not a mid-fifties old fart. For all I know Tritey might have been a mid fifties old fart though.

He was easily goaded too. Probably just coincidence.

Can't you two just get together and exchange handbags? Shocked

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
B5234FT wrote:
Packet of resistors, short the pins, mot and drive home.

I'm not sure that would work. One of my ex's Beemers had the light to fail an MOT. Apparently the test is to make sure the light comes on and goes out again, as with many other safety lights.

On a modern car, it can be something as silly as not disconnecting the battery when changing a head unit.

On the old Beemer it turned out to be the Airbag module which cost me about £40 second hand. I first replaced the steering wheel slip ring which cost £20 though, as this was the most common cause, if the slip ring had not become disconnected.

My old beemer had a permanently illuminated EM light, It would stay off for about 30 miles after resetting the ECU with a £10 ebay machine. The MOT station was only 7 miles away, so no problem. It lasted 160,000 miles before it shit itself. The light was on for at least 65000 of those.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:13 - 05 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Is an EML light an MOT failure?

As I recently discovered, no it's not. An SRS light is though.

BumpingUglys
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:56 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 'friend' recently got tagged by a DVLA van, cheekily riding a SORN'd bike with an eight month MOT deficit.

Shouty letter through post demanding tax recompense or court. £45 fine paid and end of story. Zero fucks given by DVLA or anybody else about lack of MOT (bike was insured).

Might be a different story with a plod pull, but I don't think they've worked up their MOT status vs. Kittens Killed Venn diagram yet.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have casually driven about for >3 months at a time without an MOT. been caught before and it's a £100 fine and no points.

I'd risk driving if avoiding motorways.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:39 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurers are getting pretty keen about putting a "must have MOT" clause in, and Plod seem to be getting salty about checking insurance details these days though.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Insurers are getting pretty keen about putting a "must have MOT" clause in, and Plod seem to be getting salty about checking insurance details these days though.

As per my earlier question, how are you meant to put a vehicle back on the road, if you have to risk driving it untaxed and effectively uninsured?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:25 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
As per my earlier question, how are you meant to put a vehicle back on the road, if you have to risk driving it untaxed and effectively uninsured?

Not their problem.

Well, it might be: arry would be the chap to ask about whether it's likely to hold up as a reasonable term if push came to shove.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:39 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:

Not their problem.

Well, it might be: arry would be the chap to ask about whether it's likely to hold up as a reasonable term if push came to shove.

Own a car which has run out of MOT? Sorry, you don't fit the standard risk demographic of suburban homeowners with 2.4 children and two lease cars, we're not interested in covering you.

Real answer? Tow it there.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:41 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
B5234FT wrote:
Packet of resistors, short the pins, mot and drive home.

I'm not sure that would work. One of my ex's Beemers had the light to fail an MOT. Apparently the test is to make sure the light comes on and goes out again, as with many other safety lights.

On a modern car, it can be something as silly as not disconnecting the battery when changing a head unit.

On the old Beemer it turned out to be the Airbag module which cost me about £40 second hand. I first replaced the steering wheel slip ring which cost £20 though, as this was the most common cause, if the slip ring had not become disconnected.

oh sure it can be other things, but normally its either the airbags themselves, or the plugs.

Either way, it's almost always possible to get something through an MOT with a little ingenuity unless it's really new with no knowledge/parts support.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:32 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Clauses aside. The law requires one to posess a certificate of motor insurance does it not? The certificate being the point, the whole point and nothing but the point. Certificate? Yes. kthnksby

Surely if I lied to obtain one, or didn't fulfill one or more of the clauses contained therein, that's a civil matter between me and the insurance company and fuck-all to do with the police? The insurance company are quite at liberty to cancel said policy following the statuatory 7 days written notice but I've never seen anything in the small print that allows them to wriggle out of their minimum RTA insurance responsabilities while the certificate is still extant. Quite the opposite in fact.

If I had TPO insurance and someone stole my car and ran over a copper with it, the copper would be claiming off my insurance and I'm fucking sure my policy doesn't cover driving by theiving little teenage scheemies off their face on glue and super cider.

Extant certificate = minimum road traffic act cover applies, regardles of clauses, conditions or outright lies tolds to obtain it. (Yes, I'm looking at all of you with "standard" motorcycles).

Or am I wrong?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Surely if I lied to obtain one, or didn't fulfill one or more of the clauses contained therein, that's a civil matter between me and the insurance company and fuck-all to do with the police?

That's how I see it, but on police interceptors etc. they often pull people delivering without business insurance, and there was that story of bikers being pulled to see if they had commuting on their insurance Confused

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:04 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Or am I wrong?

Maybe ayes, maybe noes.

Pryor v Greater Manchester Police says certificate uber alles, compo time.

But in that case, the driver was in full compliance with both their certificate and their contract (i.e. policy document). The broker lied to the coppers about that, but backtracked and everyone later agreed that the driver had been insured, and it was just a wrangle over whether the seizure was legal based on a reasonable belief to the contrary (it was not).

I honestly don't know what would happen if you fought the law on a contractual point of your insurance, whether that's no MOT, business/commuting on a SDP policy, and/or taking a pillion when you no-crossed-fingers promised not to.

It'd be a tough one to argue, with your insurer vehemently insisting that they can so void/avoid/evade cover from one moment to another.

We need another hero like Pryor to sort it out.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:58 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

It'd be a tough one to argue, with your insurer vehemently insisting that they can so void/avoid/evade cover from one moment to another.

My insurer wouldn't be invited to attend, unles plod decided to call them as a witness for the prosecution. And I would give them no reason to think they would need to until the day of the trial.

Section 148 RTA seems very relevant.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/148

If plod attempted to have me for no insurance due to an undeclared modification to the rear tail-light bulb deviating from specified wattage. I was thinking along the lines of pay the recovery fee under protest and with no admission of liability (noted as such on any documents signed). Refuse to accept FPN for driving without insurance. Appear in court, produce certificate of motor insurance valid for the date of the alleged offence.

Once that's out of the way, start proceedings to recover recovery costs.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Pryor v Greater Manchester Police says certificate uber alles, compo time.

But in that case, the driver was in full compliance with both their certificate and their contract (i.e. policy document). The broker lied to the coppers about that, but backtracked and everyone later agreed that the driver had been insured, and it was just a wrangle over whether the seizure was legal based on a reasonable belief to the contrary (it was not).

I honestly don't know what would happen if you fought the law on a contractual point of your insurance, whether that's no MOT, business/commuting on a SDP policy, and/or taking a pillion when you no-crossed-fingers promised not to.

Happened twice on this forum I believe, with MCE saying the person either didn't have breakdown cover, or cover to ride other bikes (they were wrong on both occasions).

Nice to know insurers are aware of what they've sold you.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 51 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3