Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Used DSLR / Lens's - where from?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Used DSLR / Lens's - where from? Reply with quote

So I'm not really after anything right now but recently discovered Jessops used partner website Camera Jungle and feel like a numpty because might not have needed to sell both me arms and legs in the past to get what I've wanted if I'd known about the site.

I'd assume safe because ran and owned by Jessops and well, for the most part, reviewed.

Any other suggestions for sites / places that you've used and got a, to you, bargain from. Rather ask than get shafted without lube because horror stories, grey market imports so on and so forth. Expensive business to get wrong and order blind online.
Poundshop Dave This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:40 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave-G wrote:
CEX

The one in town carry much camera gear? (Same road as KFC / Poundland).

Also do you know if their online stock is true to what they've got across their many stores or is it a case of popping in and getting lucky?
Poundshop Dave This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I'll keep me eye on that link like a kid in a candy store waiting for pocket money day.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remind me to keep my hands in my pockets next time I'm around that area.

<keeps eyes pealed for Jasper Carrot lookalike.>

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:44 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MPB are pretty good too, I have sold a fair few lenses to them now, and they tend to carry a decent amount of stock of 2nd hand lenses and bodies

Harrison's cameras are ok too, though based in Sheffield all their stick can be bought online

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
MPB

Have you purchased anything from them?

In truth I've got their link saved and was going to purchase something from them at one point but the idea that I couldn't go through PayPal and could only enter card details on their "secure" webpage had me umm and arin.

Webpage setup reminded me of a well made template and one of reasons I asked on here before I wondered across too many websites with card in my hand ready only to enter myself into a horror story.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not purchased from them, but sold several items to them, but I know of a fair few people who have bought kit from there and have always been happy with their purchases

To be honest, I tend to buy my 2nd hand gear off of photography forums (talkphotography is a very good forum, though you can't even escape from Tef as he is on there too) as I find that they have mostly been looked after as they have been used by enthusiasts rather than someone who just wants an expensive looking camera

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 19:21 - 05 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MPB are brilliant. the only place I really trust with 2nd hand gear. Thumbs Up

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 05 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
MPB are brilliant. the only place I really trust with 2nd hand gear. Thumbs Up

Good to read.

Talking of MPB there's a Manfrotto bag at £9 + postage that retails at £30-50 from what I've seen currently, if anyone's interested. Only posting because it's easy to miss but isn't for me.

Snagged a 35mm DX F/1.8 G from Cex along with a remote for something like £116-120 all in inc delivery, bargain considering most places retail it for £150. Saying that it's £104, the 35mm, on MPB but chose Cex because warrenty and local store, convenience.

Wide angle lens + D7200 is next on the list.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 05 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ffordes.com/ are pretty good.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up diddy date encase anyone goes down this route.

Ordered Sunday from both Cex and MPB and both arrived today. Out of the two while Cex is cheaper I'd go MPB if I ordered again, and I will.

35mm I got from Cex arrived with a big smudge on both the front glass element and rear so cleaned that up as well as the crap on the back so it didn't fall into the camera.. or I'm just a clean freak re camera equipment. Regardless it works and is sharp, like already.

MPB lens had a small, if not imaginary, amount of dirt on rear of lens surrounding area but glass was tip top both front and rear and looked as good as new. Don't think my bedroom is the best place to test a wide angle lens based on the few shots I managed to get so will practice out and about, lessons to be learnt.

On the bad side the cheap, very cheap, bag I mentioned above that I purchased came without the waterproof cover or dividing compartments, that the advert did not mention it didn't have. Might inquire if I can get sent a cover but not that bothered because I don't shoot in rain. Already got spare compartments so no biggie.

Lens came with original box from MPB plus nice tracking from DPD.

Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 44 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1