Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sweepstake - When will the pound rally?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:35 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Sweepstake - When will the pound rally? Reply with quote

Howzit.

So, as we all know, the pound lost 20% of its value overnight after the Brexit result. Poof, fucking magic.

It seems clear that it is undervalued and artificially depressed by worries about Article 50/trade issues.

Who wants to make bets about when it will recover? Part of the bet obviously is when Darth May pulls her finger out and actually shoots Old Yella, but that is part of the fun.

I can update this post in future with list of months/players, and terms we agree for how it will be considered "recovered" (would suggest exchange rate vs USD and EUR above set level, as both currencies on their own are due volatility).

And yes, I am aware the depressed pound is helping our economic growth/export market, however that is not a long-term situation regardless of how positive it is short term.

Full disclosure:
I have savings sat in the UK, and would also like to know the likelihood of recovery before October 2017 when I intend to use them in Europe. Based on this thread, and other sources, I am trying to work out where to add to the savings from during summer 2017... UK (GBP), Europe (EUR) or other countries.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:18 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's equally possible (and more likely, in my opinion) that the Pound has been over-valued for many years and is now finding it's true level. There may not even be such a thing as a "true" level as the markets are subject to constant manipulation.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:27 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Sweepstake - When will the pound rally? Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
It seems clear that it is undervalued and artificially depressed by worries about Article 50/trade issues.

It seems clear to me that it was overvalued for decades by number shuffling that had no relationship to the real world.

Since our balance of trade is still awful, I believe it's still got some overdue and welcome downward corrections to come.

Then again, the wheels could come off the Eurowagon at any moment, Hail Kek, and China-China-China could devolve into cannibalism, so who knows?

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:34 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing for years unless it becomes clear article 50 won't be triggered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Sweepstake - When will the pound rally? Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Howzit.

So, as we all know, the pound lost 20% of its value overnight after the Brexit result. Poof, fucking magic.

As usual means jack shit... It is just the traders using some reason or other to make a few $$$ along the way.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Sweepstake - When will the pound rally? Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:
Howzit.

As usual means jack shit...

It means a lot if you import stuff, export stuff or plan on going abroad any time soon. And that's most of us.

Good for some, bad for others. But not jack shit.

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of my businesses bought in USD and sold in GBP. That's now not economically viable so I've had to shut them down. Cost me about £20k a year and the govenment the tax on those earnings. A lot of our investments are now in non taxable (returns under threshold) UK property and EUR / USD. Silly Brexit.

I dont think the pound will recover unless the EU collapses completely or Lehman Brothers starts trading again. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boo, this makes me sad. All my savings from current shite job are in GBP.

This (current) is meant to be the bottom, and soft Brexit should see a slow climb back up.

Improvement on exports should also bolster the economy, as should dwindling unemployment figures due to more jobs being created.

Yes, wishful thinking but I am quite sad about the knackered pound, which had some epic blumming timing.

Cannot catch a break on currency. Although Trevor may beat me. Hats off, comrade.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:51 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but the point is that it doesn't really matter if the £ is over/under valued - it will adjust to whatever is deemed best by those who control such matters. It will go up and down as usual.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:07 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, its simple.

FED raises US rates by April 2017. Price already built in as they've been banging on about doing it for it months. So,no change GBP/USD.

4 Months later, Carney proposes increase in rates due to "increased inflationary pressure".

Market reads it as GBP strength, ironically, having to curb UK spending is read as people having cash to spend with more people in employment. GBP strength reduces cost of UK imports actually compounding the issue of greater high street spending. This kick-starts economic growth nationally.

Housing market outside London continues to gather pace. This is compounded by builders actually reducing output as a consequence of margins on land banks exceeding margins on finished builds.

Sterling improves greatly against EUR, and jumps 5 - 10 basis points against the $.

The EUR, for what its worth, will continue to be Pony especially in the face of Le Pens actions in France.

Needless to say, I am somewhat Bullish GBP.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:54 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
For me, its simple.

FED raises US rates by April 2017. Price already built in as they've been banging on about doing it for it months. So,no change GBP/USD.

4 Months later, Carney proposes increase in rates due to "increased inflationary pressure".

Market reads it as GBP strength, ironically, having to curb UK spending is read as people having cash to spend with more people in employment. GBP strength reduces cost of UK imports actually compounding the issue of greater high street spending. This kick-starts economic growth nationally.

Housing market outside London continues to gather pace. This is compounded by builders actually reducing output as a consequence of margins on land banks exceeding margins on finished builds.

Sterling improves greatly against EUR, and jumps 5 - 10 basis points against the $.

The EUR, for what its worth, will continue to be Pony especially in the face of Le Pens actions in France.

Needless to say, I am somewhat Bullish GBP.

PrayingPrayingPrayingPraying

This would be best case for me Thumbs Up

So, how would we measure the return of the pound?

1 GBP = > 1.5 USD
1 GBP = > 1.4 EUR

Are you saying April or May?

Any good websites to trigger alerts for when both of those things happen.

Last edited by Sun Wukong on 05:42 - 22 Feb 2017; edited 3 times in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 05:22 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Sweepstake - When will the pound rally? Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Poof, fucking magic.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/28/all-belgian-residents-issued-with-iodine-tablets-to-protect-agai/

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/radiation-europe-russian-missile-strike-radioactive-material-france-norway-iodine-131-irsn-a7591886.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4245586/US-nuclear-sniffer-plane-Britain-nuclear-spike.html

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I was and am proud of the Brexit decision, I actually waited until the day after the referendum to buy Euros, my thinking was Brexit isn't going to happen and the pound was going to rise rapidly.

I've just booked a cheap self catering holiday at Easter to Lanzagrotte and I bought my Euros on Sunday at about 1.13.

My reckoning is the pound will dive after article 50 has been invoked.

Though I'll probably get it wrong.

Why I didn't put a few grand in to Euros 2 years back I'll never know. I'm one of those weird people who holiday a lot.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 51 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1