Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Damage after Rewire

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Big Jock
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:38 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Damage after Rewire Reply with quote

I moved into a new house in Jan and i'm in the process of having it 'done up' Currently the sparky is in finishing off the rewire. My quote from him doesn't include making good as I have friend who is a plasterer so he said he would fix the holes for me but the sparky has damaged a lot of the woodwork (Skirting and door frames) This is a victorian house and the woodwork in question is 120 year old original stuff that I don't think think I'll be able to just pop into B&Q and replace. Is damage like that something that has to be expected when a rewire is being done or what?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

robs321
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:17 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends how experienced the sparks is! And how much patience he has and the tools he owns.
Cables can usually be fished down stud walls but having 2 people always helps. Most skirtings can be drilled down the back of, with minimal damage. Some sparks spend a lot of their time house bashing, and make a far better-quicker job than those who work in the commercial field or on new builds.
As for new skirtings/arcs etc, try a proper wood yard. Some can even match up your existing!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Poundshop Dave This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Big Jock
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:34 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys.
I'll be seeing him tonight when he has finished. Was just asking before I do. Don't want to come across as unreasonable but also don't want to be having the piss taken either. I understand that some damage is going to happen but some of the woodwork has been completely destroyed which I think isn't really acceptable

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:57 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics please of wonton vandalism resulting from telling a sparky he wasn't responsible for "making good" and therefore considers any mess he makes to be someone elses problem.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^This. Our last one (friend of a friend) did a great job of the actual electrics, but everything else was a mess. Massive chunks in the wall where sockets had been put in etc, which we had to fill and plaster.

In short, unless you explicitly said "do not damage this wood" then things will get damaged.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:49 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Jock wrote:
Thanks for the replys.
I'll be seeing him tonight when he has finished. Was just asking before I do. Don't want to come across as unreasonable but also don't want to be having the piss taken either. I understand that some damage is going to happen but some of the woodwork has been completely destroyed which I think isn't really acceptable

Did he know you were retaining it?

I'd be same as you, anything original in our Victorian house where possible to retain has been retained, despite it being more work than to just simply replace. But others don't get so sentimental and think if you're having a refurb done then that crappy old skirting just gotta go, right?

My mother in law's partner is a sparky and is always doing residential rewires - he's always sure to ask what's staying and going and always sure to keep any damage to a minimum. If it's carefree just for the sake of getting the job done then I'd say you have a point - as long as you've been explicit with your instruction / information about what you're retaining (and even then I don't think he should assume / guess otherwise).

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
In short, unless you explicitly said "do not damage this wood" then things will get damaged.

This.

Sparks will drill/hammer/channel through anything in their path on a renovation type house, so you would have need to have cleared it with him first. You'd be surprised what you can get at woodyards, even those old victorian architrave and skirting patterns are still being made, as there are huge amounts of victorian houses still around that still have the original woodwork.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:57 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a spark attack a polished oak floor with a fury saw and crowbar before today.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The in-laws had a spark in to run a few cables around a door frame in an otherwise finished part of the house (there was also an extension on the other side of the house, but it was clear that this was to be kept as neat and tidy as possible). The guy cut a small channel, damaged all the architrave around the door frame and cracked the plaster work on the other face of the wall. The channel was actually too small and the wires weren't even flush to the wall, never mind filling over them.
Job done. Shocked

I rewired my own house - managed to drill down the back of 18" skirting without damaging it.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:15 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

Sparks will drill/hammer/channel through anything in their path on a renovation type house, so you would have need to have cleared it with him first. You'd be surprised what you can get at woodyards, even those old victorian architrave and skirting patterns are still being made, as there are huge amounts of victorian houses still around that still have the original woodwork.

not all patterns are still being made, but you can often get something matching made up if you have a bit of original for them to work from, but you'll end up replacing an entire doorway's woodwork / section of skirting so that it lines up.

been there, done that, still fixing it, got very good at patching smaller bits of woodwork with filler and lots of sanding to blend it in before painting.

if you implied the house was being stripped out then he's been lazy

If you said no need to make good on the plastering then he didn't listen.

My electrician didn't touch or damage the woodwork except one bit of skirting that came away from the wall and just needed fixing back in place.

Keir
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

why has he even touched door frames? I cant think of any cable that even comes close to my door frames.
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keir wrote:
why has he even touched door frames? I cant think of any cable that even comes close to my door frames.

Why is he near any woodwork for that matter? The cables should be chased into the walls from the top.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
Keir wrote:

Why is he near any woodwork for that matter? The cables should be chased into the walls from the top.

Door frames - I'm going to guess light switches. My old house had the old wiring run in alongside the architrave on the doors for the switches. I don't know why. He may have just followed the cabling already there.
Skirting - plug sockets coming up from under the floor. They wouldn't have been run down from 12'+ ceilings, chasing through original plaster covings.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 49 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1