Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

"I am an imposter"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

I am not fit for my job / studies, and worry those in charge/others will find out.
Strongly agree / Always think this
8%
 8%  [ 9 ]
Agree / Often think this
23%
 23%  [ 24 ]
Neutral / Sometimes I think this, but not often.
23%
 23%  [ 24 ]
Disagree / I rarely if ever think this.
14%
 14%  [ 15 ]
Strongly disagree / I am great at my job/study, and have internalised this
28%
 28%  [ 29 ]
Total Votes : 101

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:26 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

How does this mean I am not qualified for the role I do

No one is saying you aren't. And that's definitely not what I was saying in my statement. I was only commenting that it seems some people misunderstand what 'Imposter Syndrome' is.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serendipity wrote:
Then I applied for and got a job working as a small cog in a large IT department for a Fortune 500 company in The City of London. Holy FUCK! What a change!

I found myself working with some unbelievably talented and intelligent people and suddenly I was the dunce. Probably took more than a year to drag myself up towards their level. And a lot of that time I felt like a fraud.

Still not sure I'm there.... although people treat me like I know what I'm talking about so still feels a bit like I'm faking it sometimes... Laughing
Don't know what your worrying about, I'd be quite happy with a newbie getting up to speed in only a year. You obviously took the challenge head-on and met it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:53 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerlea wrote:
Kickstart wrote:

How does this mean I am not qualified for the role I do

No one is saying you aren't. And that's definitely not what I was saying in my statement. I was only commenting that it seems some people misunderstand what 'Imposter Syndrome' is.

Maybe, except the bit I quoted had been posted in response to this:-

Rogerborg wrote:
Tigerlea wrote:
Most of the comments I've read here are more along the lines of "I'm not completely qualified, and I'm worried someone will find out".

Which comments would those be?

Maybe it isn't imposter syndrome, but many people can't accept their ability to do a job

All the best

Katy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:22 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I can't distinguish between "most" and "a minority", I'll start fretting about my ability to logic.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve come to this thread late.

But I know what imposter syndrome is and I don't have it Thumbs Up

I have just had my awarding body inspector in at work and I got an exemplary report Smile
I can do my job and I do it well Thumbs Up and now my boss knows it too.

Banging my own drum : there`s no praise like self praise and self praise is no praise at all Embarassed

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
When I can't distinguish between "most" and "a minority", I'll start fretting about my ability to logic.

She still has a point that quite a few people did go off on tangents about a) their ineptitude b) other's ineptitude c) how much more awesome they were than everyone else.

We got back to the point a bit later Smile

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:19 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, though ... this stuff I am doing, right: I am surrounded by people who have done other sorts of stuff much more executivey/had much more "professional" careers than me, and usually at least one degree (I have none, almost negligible tertiary training at all) and usually they also have some form of social standing because of what they've done (leader of a council, MP, professors, etc).

And all I am doing is giving my opinion, and they (who are variously between 5-10 years either side of my age anyway) nod sagely and say "Hmmm, yes, you're right ... "- and then include my opinion as worthy of consideration before they go off on whatever tangent they were about to take.

So I just kind of add my two penn'orth, all the while thinking "But, isn't that common sense [to consider that option], anyway...?"

I spent an hour on the phone this morning on a call to one of my colleagues, the upshot of which is that he had talked himself into approaching the senior management about an issue that really was crystal clear he should be doing anyway.

I left the conversation wondering whether he was actually listening to my opinion, or was he garnering opinions from the rest of us before he went ahead and did what he should have done days ago.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Thing is, though ... this stuff I am doing, right: I am surrounded by people who have done other sorts of stuff much more executivey/had much more "professional" careers than me, and usually at least one degree (I have none, almost negligible tertiary training at all) and usually they also have some form of social standing because of what they've done (leader of a council, MP, professors, etc).

And all I am doing is giving my opinion, and they (who are variously between 5-10 years either side of my age anyway) nod sagely and say "Hmmm, yes, you're right ... "- and then include my opinion as worthy of consideration before they go off on whatever tangent they were about to take.

So I just kind of add my two penn'orth, all the while thinking "But, isn't that common sense [to consider that option], anyway...?"

I spent an hour on the phone this morning on a call to one of my colleagues, the upshot of which is that he had talked himself into approaching the senior management about an issue that really was crystal clear he should be doing anyway.

I left the conversation wondering whether he was actually listening to my opinion, or was he garnering opinions from the rest of us before he went ahead and did what he should have done days ago.

And they're probably thinking, "well, she's not qualified, what would she know about it anyway", whilst failing to realise that they aren't qualified when it comes to good ol' common sense. And I sometimes wonder why it's called 'common' sense, as there appears to be quite a dearth of it these days Rolling Eyes The things some academically quite brilliant people do, or fail to see/do can be quite astounding.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to the realisation that mediocrity is the norm so stopped worrying about a lot of stuff.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 26 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
... nod sagely and say "Hmmm, yes, you're right ... "- and then include my opinion as worthy of consideration before they go off on whatever tangent they were about to take.
Sounds like typical manager mentality. They're so paranoid about how superfluous they are that they daren't give the impression that anyone else can actually come up with an idea.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, I found this.

Linky

It was on a website from some people called Art of Charm (warning: its one of those motivational/self help type things, although I find it interesting: I regularly access their podcasts through Stitcher, but had never been on their website or checked out their "Toolbox" before.)

So I popped on there this morning for a bit of a look around.
Thought this might be relevant.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

So I popped on there this morning for a bit of a look around.
Thought this might be relevant.

Have downloaded it, will listen when I get a minute Thumbs Up

I spent years slapping myself for Dunning Kruger... and now I am slapping myself for Imposter...

Can we all just calm the fuck down and agree I can make a solid cup of tea?

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having thought about this a bit more, I'd wonder if it's not a simple consequence of how employment works in most cases?

I would generally want to be in a job that's at the limit of my skill/patience/whatever. e.g. I'm just good enough to do it. Maximising salary/hourly rate/comfort/whatever.

If I'm very comfortable in a role, that means one of two things:

1) I know something no-one else does e.g. hard/impossible to replace, the business function I perform would have to stop if I left

2) I'm being taken for a ride because basically I'm charging too little
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3