Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:44 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
CBT is scripted by the DSA and is arranged 'notionally' around the idea that an 'average' student should be able to complete it in a day, but t is only a notional suggestion.

Many do take more than a day, or one attempt, there is a heck of a lot to take in on CBT for a 'first' lesson, and without much or any experience to give much of it meaning, an awful lot will be in one ear and out the other as soon as that exercise is completed... if you are lucky bits will come back to you as you gain experience and they suddenly make sense and/or have relevance, though.

Don't worry too much about falling off, ,many, many do! And good for getting back in the saddle.

Remember, it JUST a first lesson, and the grade you need make at each section, is pretty low; it's not trying to turn you into a competent qualified rider, it's just trying to get you up to speed, as a Learner, so that on the road, you aren't a complete disaster looking for a place to land, and have some basic know how of what you should be doing, before you get out there. Real ambition aught to e to pass tests and get a licence.this is just the first step.

What does the DAS teach you that the CBT doesn't, excluding extra practice time?

Bet you wish you didn't ask now Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:34 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a good party thread going there for a while, then Buzz Teffington showed up. Sad

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:36 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence to anyone. I sometimes wonder whether Teflon-Mike thinks too much about CBT and rider training.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:27 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I should note that not only did I split my CBT over 2 days, but after I'd done it, I thought "What a suicidally stupid way to travel," and didn't even get a 125 until I'd cycled regularly for a year to improve my hazard perception (nobody sees you, and if they do, they'll just try and kill you).

Now, I absolutely love it. It's the best life decision I've ever made although I reserve the right to amend that statement if Mrs Borg ever stumbles on this thread.

I sort of did the same but not out of choice. Through work I was cycling daily for about a year, and had also just passed my driving test. With that combination I just about survived.

OP made a noob but common mistake... don't grab at the front brake. It's a set back but not a major one. The chances are you will come off sometime in the future, so you have to get used to little knocks.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 02:10 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufous wrote:
I sometimes wonder whether Teflon-Mike thinks too much about CBT and rider training.

High school quarterback bench substitute still reliving his glory days decades later.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 14:23 - 04 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total
xnergy This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Teejay2004
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:42 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: UPDATE !!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

I PASSED !!!!!!!!!
Very Happy

Fazer Tom
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:14 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: UPDATE !!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Teejay2004 wrote:
I PASSED !!!!!!!!!
Very Happy

Great feeling isnt it? Thumbs Up

Past: (1981 CG125) (1992 ZZR250 x2) (1976 KZ400) (1993 400 Superfour) (2002 Triumph TT600) (1998 Fazer) (2001 CCM 636) (2000 CCM 604) (2007 Kawasaki Z750) (2005 Husqvarna SM450R) Current: (1989 Bandit 400)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:27 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: UPDATE !!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Teejay2004 wrote:
I PASSED !!!!!!!!!
Very Happy

NO YOU DIDN'T !!!!!!!!!

Gratz on completing your CBT to a satisfactory standard though. Whistle

What now? Straight on to training, or enrage Teffers by wobbling around on a 125 for a while?

Teejay2004
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:35 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am goin to plan to get 125 and enrage everyone of course lol

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:00 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid. Get a Chinese branded one for extra provocation. Wink

Teejay2004
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:19 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your thinking haha.
On a serious note any 125 recommendations for a small built women x

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:27 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teejay2004 wrote:
I like your thinking haha.
On a serious note any 125 recommendations for a small built women x

Get any of them you like, but don't spend too much on it because I have a feeling you'll be licensed up and riding a big bike soon. Just a hunch.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:33 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nooooo, you have risked the Wrath of Tef.

I'd look for reasons to not get a YBR 125. No frills, no surprises, one-size-fits-(nearly)-all. If you really feel like you need something lower, then there's the YBR 125 Custom, although you have to be sure to get one with a decent exhaust.

Teejay2004
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:40 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been learning on a cbf and have got really confident and steady onit. Was looking at a cbr as they are a little lower. I did try getting on a unfollow and nearly fell over because I couldn't touch the floor x

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:59 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBF will be fine if you can find one that's not been got at by the Tin Worm, and you keep it that way.

CBR, decent choice, but I wouldn't value it much over a CBF or YBR. The difference in performance will be minimal.

Teejay2004
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:00 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your advice. Muchly appreciated
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2