Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Employment Lawyer / TUPE Expert

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

kingnathski88
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:53 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Employment Lawyer / TUPE Expert Reply with quote

Hi All

Recently been announced that my job is being redundant at its current site (NN13) and is being relocated approx. 120 miles (ME19).

They have offered me the chance to transfer under this TUPE agreement. However, they will not offer a penny towards relocation costs or towards petrol even for a week or a month or two.

The company closed another site (CV37) and moved jobs to my site (NN13) and still pay employees that transferred a contribution towards petrol.

I have doubts whether the TUPE is valid considering my job that is moving isn't actually going to be done at the site - it is outsourced to another company.

Can't get a straight answer out of our HR department.

Does anyone happen to know of or be an experienced employment lawyer / HR person of some knowledge who might be able to offer some free / informative advice.

Brief google searches seem to suggest what they are doing is legit.

Although TUPE is something I cant seem to get a good answer on.

Hope someone can help in some way Thumbs Up

If anyone is in the know and can help, I can divulge a bit more information.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:02 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Employment Lawyer / TUPE Expert Reply with quote

kingnathski88 wrote:
Hi All

Recently been announced that my job is being redundant at its current site (NN13) and is being relocated approx. 120 miles (ME19).

They have offered me the chance to transfer under this TUPE agreement. However, they will not offer a penny towards relocation costs or towards petrol even for a week or a month or two.

The company closed another site (CV37) and moved jobs to my site (NN13) and still pay employees that transferred a contribution towards petrol.

I have doubts whether the TUPE is valid considering my job that is moving isn't actually going to be done at the site - it is outsourced to another company.

Can't get a straight answer out of our HR department.

Does anyone happen to know of or be an experienced employment lawyer / HR person of some knowledge who might be able to offer some free / informative advice.

Brief google searches seem to suggest what they are doing is legit.

Although TUPE is something I cant seem to get a good answer on.

Hope someone can help in some way Thumbs Up

If anyone is in the know and can help, I can divulge a bit more information.

TUPE covers your rights when your job is transferred to a new company. It isn't location specific.

If they aren't willing to relocate you at their expense, then they will have to make you redundant according to your current terms and conditions and cannot vary them.

kingnathski88
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:14 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't necessarily offering us redundancy.

They said if we don't sign the TUPE transfer then they will offer us an alternative and suitable role.

Only if there is no suitable role will they offer us a redundancy package.

The concern is that they are trying or going to rail road us into a role that I don't want to do, even if in theory I could do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:55 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingnathski88 wrote:

They said if we don't sign the TUPE transfer then they will offer us an alternative and suitable role.

Suggest get proper legal advice.

TUPE is a legal right afforded to you as an employee. There is nothing for you "to sign" as such. It is yours and not a negotiation with your employer.

This may be a sneaky way of getting you to sign a new employment contract.

Do you have a union?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:02 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lodge a formal grievance. Do it now, title it "FORMAL GRIEVANCE". Assert constructive dismissal.

Don't try to be fair, don't waffle, just say: "No reasonable relocation terms, no equivalent job, no offer of redundancy = sacking by the back door."

You don't have to be all BodyGuard about it. Feel free to banter with the HR tarts (why are they always wombyn?). "Just for form's sake, I'm sure everyone is handing these in, lovely haircut, is that new?"

Now that you've got the clock running, you can go and speak to your local Citizen's Advice and see if they have anyone available to give Advice to Citizens, if they're not too busy filling in asylum claims for grey bearded teenagers about it.

kingnathski88
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:52 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No union, we are office based work wise.

They are saying we have to sign to agree to the TUPE if we want to transfer with our job to the other site or stay at our existing site.

Haven't actually seen any 'proper' paperwork yet.

We have a redundancy date set at end of May so if we don't apply for a new job internally or leave before then I guess that's the date we go.

But they stress that if you are suitable for an alternative job and could in theory do it, even if its a job completely different to what I have been doing and I choose note to do it then I would in effect be resigning and leave with no redundancy.

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:54 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggest get proper legal advice.

Too important to do otherwise

Offices can have unions too

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:57 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine a lot will hinge on the wording of the original contract of employment you signed so best look that out and read it and keep it somewhere safe.

Not having one is not necessarily a bad thing either providing one can't magically be produced by the other party with your signature on it.

Courts set a lot of store by actual documents and not vague assertions that said document must have existed sometime, err, I think we've lost it.

Implied contract is best contract (after a fashion).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:31 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, I haven't returned any of the previous 2 (maybe 3?) contracts that I've been handed. The last one, a TUPE, I printed off my own version with all the bullshit taken out (most of it), signed it, and put it on my desk. I was never asked for it again.

At this point, I'm probably ex-contractual. They pay monies, I turn up, that's really all a contract needs to be.

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not an employment law expert and exist here to flap my gums.

Reasonably I can't see how offering relocation costs or not is material.

If you live a 15-20 min commute that costs X from my work, and suddenly the company decides you now have a 2-3 hour commute that costs X*10, you have been made redundant, surely.

If you want to go and live in the other place for a change and can afford it (or are compensated well enough), go for it, but it seems absurd that you could be effectively 'forced'.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:10 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:

If you live a 15-20 min commute that costs X from my work, and suddenly the company decides you now have a 2-3 hour commute that costs X*10, you have been made redundant, surely.

Bring made redundant is when you job/role no longer exists. Thumbs Up

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:14 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TUPE guarantees your role, not your job under the SAME contract for 12 months beyond the date of the transfer.

After that - you can be made redundant.

Essentially they are giving you 12 months notice plus whatever notice period you have with them.

I know this because i got TUPE'd two years ago and after 18 months, down came the ban hammer. Been job hunting the last few months and finally back in work.

Do not waste the next 12 months if you do take the transfer.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:23 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, I think the first thing I'd do is secure myself a better job elsewhere. Your local site is closing, that's a fact that needs to be dealt with. Let it galvanise you into improving your situation.

Then with that card up your sleeve, demand that they pay you off rather than offer a bullshit relocation.

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:24 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...

Get all your info together, including a copy of your contract of employment and get some proper legal advice.

Your job is being outsourced. That means under TUPE, you have the legal right to transfer to the new company on your existing terms and conditions. Check your contract. That covers your existing T&Cs ( those along with custom and practice make up your overall terms) What does it say about work location or mobility?

Your current employer and the outsourcer have no authority to negotiate between them to make your TUPE rights go away but some companies still try it on.

To be clear, it is positions rather than people that are in scope for transfer. You specifically are not in scope, your current role is.

Get yourself some proper legal advice.

Also suggest you think about what is more important to you personally - staying in the same location or staying in the same job?
Either could go well or badly so look at the specifics and make the best choice for you. Worst case it you get yourself some breathing space to look for another job. TUPE is not always bad for the people concerned. It can give you more opportunity in a different organisation but that is something you need to assess for your own situation. The guys doing this will be looking at how they can make money out of the deal so something has to give somewhere. A bit of positioning can help you weather that.

Did I say - Get some proper independent legal advice. Do not immediately believe what your company tells you. Keep copies of everything.

Btw, you should sort out the alternative role before the transfer date if that is what you want to do. If you are going to get made redundant in your current role, it should be the new company that does it, not the existing one - you should then get some TUPE breathing space. If you change roles and stay with your current company, then the normal situation applies.

So. - get some proper legal advice. Makes sure everything is in writing

Finally, I am guessing you work for company A... and your are likely to move to company C.... (names redacted Smile) - if that is the case, they appear to actually be the same company (or at least under the same parent) so get yourself some legal advice

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 01:30 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The living costs around ME19 are pushing up... Certainly more than NN areas... You are fairly close to the elusive M26/M25 border there... And it's close to me so not really safe for you and any crashed bikes you possess.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:34 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a current job description and a transfer job description, if you don't like what you see don't sign anything.

How long have you been with the company?

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
TUPE guarantees your role, not your job under the SAME contract for 12 months beyond the date of the transfer.

After that - you can be made redundant.

Essentially they are giving you 12 months notice plus whatever notice period you have with them.

I know this because i got TUPE'd two years ago and after 18 months, down came the ban hammer. Been job hunting the last few months and finally back in work.

Do not waste the next 12 months if you do take the transfer.

There is no 12 months rule. I was about to be TUPE'd and put on instant notice of redundancy as the role would be offshored by the incoming 3rd party.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on the terms offered by the people doing the transfer, my understanding was that IF you accept the transfer, it cannot by law be under worse terms than your current contract specifies.

My feelings after going through TUPE is that unless you can see yourself at the new firm ( and can see yourself even being kept on by them) then try and get redundancy if possible and get a new job.

The problem is that if you don't accept the transfer and redundancy is not on offer, you are effectively resigning your position and all you get is your notice period. Given that most people don't have more than 4 weeks, that's not much help if you have bills.

Luckily i had a 3 month notice period and i'd been there 9 years so waiting out the TUPE period worked out nicely for me and that was the sole reason i accepted it.

Everyones situation will be different.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:40 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you are unsure if you are protected by TUPE you should seek further advice. The Labour Relations Agency (LRA) has a helpline offering free, impartial and confidential advice on all employment areas. You can contact the LRA on 028 9032 1442 from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm Monday to Friday

Gov linky

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:36 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, there is no 'TUPE period'. 12 months is a load of bollocks.
The more time has passed since the point of TUPE, however, the easier it is to argue that the change to conditions isn't related to the TUPE transfer.

kingnathski88
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:34 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input guys.

I have worked there for nearly 9 1/2 years.

The one company owns all the sites.

They bought the original company of the NN13 site some 18 months ago.

I understand why they are doing what they are doing as they are a business.

If I wanted to transfer with my job, it would cost me £500 petrol a month and 3 1/2 hours each day. It is material. They want us to commit to this TUPE in two weeks.

How can you expect someone to commit to that sort of expense / decision in that time frame.

Thanks again for the input, I'll phone ACAS tomorrow and then look to seek our some sort of employment lawyer / expert.

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingnathski88 wrote:
If I wanted to transfer with my job, it would cost me £500 petrol a month and 3 1/2 hours each day. It is material.

As stated above, given this, everything else just seems like bollocks jargon. WTF sort of 'transfer' is this? Who just moves 120 miles for the lols, are they paying you mid six figures or something?

BTW, I would be very surprised if you can make it NN13 to ME19 in 3.5 hours round trip (guessing you live in-between somewhere?). I can't see that being 100 mins one way on the regular unless the southern side of M25 is dead compared to the northern side.

Take it to the limiting case and you can see how absurd the situation is.

So the job moves from London to Aberdeen and the company claims 'oh well the role is there but the site is different'. LOL. It may as well be on the fucking moon. You move and you've left your entire life behind for the company Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1