Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

PS3 HDD problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: PS3 HDD problem Reply with quote

Somehow my brother managed to fry the motherboard of his PS3 super slim a couple of weeks ago (I'm still going to try baking it), I picked up a PS3 Slim today and he REALLY wants the 500gb drive from the dead one (that worked in that system) in the "new" one.

Before I even plugged the new one in I replaced the drive and was greeted with an error message:

Quote:
The system software cannot be run correctly. Press the PS button to try to restart the system blah blah blah

After reading many pages and downloading a couple of programs to format the drive to FAT32, following many guides etc, I'm now getting the console bleeping 3 times and switching off.... I've even downloaded the latest firmware to a USB drive and still having no luck.

When I plug the original 250gb drive back in, the console works fine, when I plug the 500gb HDD in to the PC that works fine (formatted in NTFS I can use it as a drive, formatted in FAT32 I need to repartition and format it before it's usable)....

What am I doing wrong?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:27 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

use this to delete/create partitions

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:34 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:

That was the last program I used Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:53 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you have to enter recovery mode when you install the new hard drive (to format and/or install the firmware).

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:07 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I believe you have to enter recovery mode when you install the new hard drive (to format and/or install the firmware).

Done that (hold power button until second beep and system shuts down, hold power button until single beep then double beep for recovery menu), even downloaded the firmware to USB to update the system.... but it still came up with this screen when I tried:

https://blogfiche.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/fix-cannot-run-correctly-error-800x800.jpg

Then after formatting using the program CaNsA mentioned, I press the power button, it gives 3 beeps then a flashing red light until I hit the power button again..... but put the other drive in and it all works fine. Confused

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:09 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the folder structure correct on the USB, and is the USB formatted properly (to FAT)? Swapping the drive shouldn't require reformatting on a PC.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:21 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Is the folder structure correct on the USB, and is the USB formatted properly (to FAT)? Swapping the drive shouldn't require reformatting on a PC.

USB folder: PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP.....
Oh, the USB is NTFS.... bugger Embarassed Brick Wall

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:23 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing If it makes you feel any better I've made the same mistake before.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:00 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I've been at this for a couple of hours this morning, I've formatted and reformatted everything and still keep getting the following message:
https://psmedia.playstation.com/is/image/psmedia/updating-safe-mode-ui-02-ps3-en-22jul15?$MediaCarousel_Original$

Only difference is it's saying 4.80 or later

I'm trying to install 4.81, I've even tried 4.80, I've removed the PS3 from the filename (PS3UPDAT.PUP), I even tried removing the .PUP that was suggested somewhere.

The only thing I can think of now is that the drive is somehow corrupt

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:59 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you inserting the usb after you've turned on the ps3 etc and got that message? I had issues getting a pals (ps4) to recognise the usb as I was booting with it already in.

I'd be using the latest firmware and leaving the naming alone.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Are you inserting the usb after you've turned on the ps3 etc and got that message? I had issues getting a pals (ps4) to recognise the usb as I was booting with it already in.

I'd be using the latest firmware and leaving the naming alone.

I'm getting the message if I'm booting with or without the USB in to begin with, I've tried it in port 1 and 2, I've tried disconnecting the controller after pressing Start and Select, I've tried all the options on the safe mode menu, I've downloaded 4.81 and got the message, so I tried 4.80 and still got the message..... changed the name of the files... and still got the message.

But everything works fine with the 250gb drive, so that's been put back in and my brother will have to settle for that

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:16 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly question have you tried pressing start and select?

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Silly question have you tried pressing start and select?

Your right.... it was a silly question Thumbs Up

chris-red

PostPosted: 18:49 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done this on a PS4, I was caught out because you have to download a full install not the update.

The PS4 Update file had the same name but was much smaller. ~300mb vs 900mb

undefined
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:47 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ This.

I got caught out a couple of weeks ago when replacing my PS4 hdd.

On the download page there was a section on reinstalling system software near the bottom with a link to the correct file.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a look around and can't find any links for a full install, everything I've read leads to doing it through the Safe Mode menu and update on USB.

When I go through the options (2, 3 and 4), of the SMM I get a message "Cannot access hard drive", unless I go to option 5, then it does something for a short while, then comes up with my original error message about connecting storage media and the cycle repeats

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick thought on this, could the size of the USB stick be an issue? I'm using a 64gb USB 3 with the update file, and when I tried to update the working drive it still couldn't read it.

The only other one that I could try is a 16gb USB 2 stick

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:59 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 2GB flashed as FAT for stuff like this, cos Playstation.

Apparently this is latest firmware - https://dau01.ps3.update.playstation.net/update/ps3/image/au/2016_0420_2c7ac82e02db9ce396618e6644a8c52d/PS3UPDAT.PUP

Unsure if its what you are looking for, its only the firmware.

chris-red

PostPosted: 20:32 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah try the different stick, I initialized a PS4 and a PS Pro over the weekend (old PS4 had a 2tb drive I wanted in the Pro) I used a 32gb drive for the Pro no troubles but the PS4 wouldn't detect it. I copied the file and directory Structure straight to a 8gb stick and it worked first time.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be sitting with a dead second hard drive.... but I brought my 16gb stick up from the car, formatted it, installed the update (didn't click the link Paddy, the site said 4.81 was the latest and that's the one I'm trying), plugged it in to the PS3, booted in to Safe Mode...... and....... it's installing on that drive, so I'll switch them over and try again with the other one.

Fingers crossed

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT'S ALIVE Very Happy

They really should put on the PS website that you can only use up to Xgb USB drive, that would have saved me 2 weeks of messing around.

It turned out after I formatted the drive in the PS all I had to do was press Start and Select to install the update rather than going through the Safe Mode menu.

Anyway, I called my dad and asked him to ask my brother which drive he wanted the 500 or 250gb, he said why can't he have 1 as a spare Rolling Eyes I've had 120gb in mine for almost 6 years now and it's only recently started running out of space (hence wanting the 250gb).

On a side note, I've been messing around with the super slim trying to get it working and I noticed the ribbon for the power button had a couple of snapped pins on it, so I trimmed it back, sanded off the plastic and got a hint of life in the console, so I'm going to try finding a replacement (which are about $3, so I'll probably get one when I'm in the States to save the £13 postage)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1