Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bumping an NSR

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

verbalremedy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 25 Feb 2005    Post subject: Bumping an NSR Reply with quote

Well pissed off haven't had the bike running for two days now tried bumping it by knocking it into first also tried second it makes an engine noise but gives it no power doesn't tick over just make the engine noise a little whilst it's being pushed raaagh anyone help me out with this problem?

Cheers

pocket_Rocket
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:47 - 25 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try putting it into second and keeping it at the bitting point rev the pants off it. while going down a hill . when the engine pics pull the cluts in and keep reving it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Git
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:07 - 25 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My flight plan for bump starting.

>loose clothing, check
>trainers, check
>fuel in tank, check
>fuel tap on, check
>ignition on, check
>kill switch on, check
>clear runway, check
>run about like a loon with bike jumping on and off trying various clutch and throttle, gear, choke techniques.
still no go
>out with plug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 14:30 - 25 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed, whip the plug out.

One of my sadest moments was pushing my MZ around a golf club car park at 2am. Wishing I'd brought a plug spanner with me...

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

verbalremedy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:02 - 25 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol still no luck with it look like a right nob running up and down the road Shocked

@Git are you supposed to have the kill switch on when you bump it meaning killing the engine ?? lol fuck knows I know jack about bikes Confused

Git
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:09 - 25 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

on/off, whatever way it allows the bike to run Smile

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 18:31 - 25 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have the ignition on!! and make sure you kill switch is set so that your engine can run.

Take the plug out, wipe any excess crap off it.

It may be easier to get a mate to push you and try bumping it in 2nd, no revs whatsoever as this will flood the engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tokarev
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:35 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

in addition to everything already mentioned also try it with the choke fully out...(because the weather is bloody cold!!)

mine wouldnt bump on a cold day because the engine was cold and i never had the choke out. i was running up and down with it for about 20 mins till i realised and pulled out the choke. I then ran with it and she came to life straight away. This was when i had a dead battery.

So here is the process. Make sure you have done the checks mentioned above first by git and dom.
1. put her into second gear
2. run with cluth pulled in until your at a medium jogging pace
3.let the clutch fully out suddenly (you should hear the engine coming to life)
4. Give her some revs and pull in the clutch (or you will go flying down the road)
5. put her into neutral.

You should try to find the root of this problem though.

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:38 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also be sure to do it on a surface with decent levels of grip. I know my bike only weighs 130kg, but I still managed to push it for several feet with the rear locked on the track running to my house.

It's good exercise...

mattgt
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:17 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: my nsr... Reply with quote

Wow, this is my first post!
Ive had my nsr for a year now. Great bike, but sometimes it starts to play up (the system 3 alarm is so powerful it drains the battery so needs weekly charging) as in I have to push it. Yes you do look like a nobhead running down the street, but with mine sometimes I just have to push for about ten minutes up and down to get the fuel running in the engine. I just get some speed, pop into first and run, throttle slightly open and it works a treat.
Twisted Evil

wantser
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:28 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my NSR doesnt start I find a big hill, put her in fourth, ignition on, fuel on, when at a decent speed let the clutch out. This works every time, provided that the plug aint gummed up and fuel is getting in the engine. 2smokes tend to get pi**ed if they are left for a while and the oil and petrol left in the combustion chamber separates and this can cause the jets to become gummed up. Using fourth and a big hill forces them to unblock because the engine is turning whether it likes it or not! Running around on a flat can work, but its bloody hard work!

Ah gravity....never thought it would be so helpful!

mattgt
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:38 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

a hill is a very good idea! i wish i had one near, if im going on a long ride then im knackered before i've even started! can you wheelie? having a few probs...

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 15:42 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just sat here thinking. I'm a weedy 16 going on 17 year old that weighs just 11 stone and I am expected to push a Bandit 600 around if I have to bump it if my battery goes flat? F**k that for a packet of crisps. Confused
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

El_Bandido
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:47 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont get a flat battery then Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mattgt
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:50 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have a bandit and you're 16? madman
I'm 19 and weigh just under 11 stone. It's not how much, its what you do with it.
If you have a bandit the chances are your battery is a lot bigger than my 12volt nsr one. Thus your battery is more likely to take a battering from a powerful alarm (like mine) without too much trouble. If it does go flat (probably not very often) buy a charger for 40 pound. easy, you have it sorted!
be careful on that thing! my mate is gonna wait til hes 21 and get a 1000. totally against that, i believe learn on a small one to get in crashes, experience etc before jumping on a big motherfuck.
good luck with your test! they're anal, just be slow and carefull about everything you do mate.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 16:00 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haaaa, well I have an OptiMate charge so i'm sorted anyway. Razz
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grrrrreat thing about big hills, really big ones, is that you think you can't fail to get it started. Halfway down you start to worry, then at the bottom you think F@CK! Then you got the pleasure of pushing the b@stard right the way back up.

Thats what happened to me. My road is called 'the crest' so you can imagine which bit of the very big hill I live on! Rolling Eyes

Wink

Marc_Buck
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:30 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon you are gonna poo yourself.... Razz Laughing

mattgt
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:46 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

he he, yeah i done that with the kill switch. after about 20 mins, was considering calling the bike rescue when i remembered the ol CBT and flicked the bloody switch. what a bloody nobhead id have looked if they had turned up and told me what an arsy thing it was.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 17:30 - 01 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, you will never bump start a Bandit 6.

*Enter Yams here to tell the story of how he used to bump his R6...*

Either way, it takes my dad sitting on my XJ600, and me pushing, down a slight hill to bump start it. There is no way I could bump start that myself without a hill.

Gaz

mattgt
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:35 - 01 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to eat more greens and crusts then you'll be able to push it easy Wink

early_m
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:26 - 03 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always jump start it off another bike? Or a car? (If using a car make sure the voltages are the same and dont start the car up!!)

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 18:42 - 03 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amback.com/images/ellett/60/6031500.jpg

Damn useful. Thumbs Up

verbalremedy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 03 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the help people I got myself a trickle charger but haven't needed to use it yet due to not leaving my light switch on when I get off the bike Embarassed . Cheers peeps
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 61 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1