£20 - theft by finding

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:39 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omega wrote:
It's pathetic that it got that far. She should have just said "Oh yea I found your £20" when she was asked.

Correct answer is 'no comment'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 10:09 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect there is slightly more to this than meets the eye than is being reported.

I doubt this is a simple case of someone innocently finding £20 on the floor and pocketing it. I'm guessing the dropper was in the immediate vicinity of the picker upperer and in fact the picker upperer saw the dropper drop it which would make the pocketing of said note dishonest.

I also think that the dropper suspected the picker upperer of pocketing the note at the scene hence the popo getting involved and then the picker upperer has lied about picking it up. I imagine they were challenged at that point and no doubt denied it as they initially did to the popo. They could have diffused this at the earliest opportunity but chose to try and blag it.

That's my guess.
Poundshop Dave This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:40 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, by the imaginary hellkat rule of thumb, that would have fallen outside my guidelines and I woulda kept it.

But then ... its a WHOLE MONTH'S TAKINGS for some guy Sad

But then ... if it hadn't been *that* guy, it might have been a couple of days' takings from a knocking shop, or an hour's takings from a coke dealer. In which case, is fair game

*moral dilemma*
There's are too many if's and but's in this question.

Side issue
I was googling "spinning moral compass gif" and amongst the utterly utterly useless offerings, this came up .

Arrow https://media2.giphy.com/media/q6mN1ugDOFzHi/giphy.gif

So I thought I'd chuck it into the mix as one of the but's (I know, I know ... hat, coat, I'm goine )

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallet > ID/bank cards > reasonable chance of reuniting it with the owner then hand it in. Maybe I'm alone in thinking the world would be a better place if we weren't all cnuts to each other.

And no £1600 wouldn't sway my decision either Smile

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
the world would be a better place if we weren't all cnuts to each other.

Yeah I used to think like that.

Now I'm older and more cynical.
Life beats you up and makes you selfish.

I dunno why the people who are selfish at a young age are that way, I never was, but the older I get, the more I am.

The shorter the walk to one's grave, the less one is inclined to care about other people that don't matter to ya - I suppose.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:00 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of agree (does that mean I'm getting old? Crying or Very sad), but more when it comes to helping people etc., I hope I can fend off the bitterness for a few more years at least Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:01 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had my car filled with bags of sand at a builder's yard. I asked for a dozen, counted them before going to pay, and made it 13. So I insisted on paying for 13, because you pay for what you use. My dad was with me at the time, he said he'd have done the same thing. Bonding moment.

I got home, hauled them out, and realised that there were only 11.

And that's when I decided to destroy Gotham.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:05 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'm bitter.
Just more selfish than I used to be.

I don't have the issues about the rich-poor divide as much as even most people I know (see other thread). Possibly this is because I (currently) fall on the comfortable side of that divide. Who knows, that might change with circumstance.

But bitter ... nah.
Anger/bitterness is a pointless waste of energy that could be conserved for reading a book with one's feet up on the sofa, or bingewatching Game of Thrones (which I think I really must start watching).

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:07 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I once had my car filled with bags of sand at a builder's yard. I asked for a dozen, counted them before going to pay, and made it 13. So I insisted on paying for 13, because you pay for what you use. My dad was with me at the time, he said he'd have done the same thing. Bonding moment.

I'm sorry.
I had an uncharacteristic moment of schadenfreude just then.

*toddles off to do a row of Hail Marys* Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:29 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Someone hasn't been watching their Sesame Street Folded arms https://youtu.be/__48P1Fbjm8?t=2s

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:33 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Someone hasn't been watching their Sesame Street Folded arms https://youtu.be/__48P1Fbjm8?t=2s

This post has been brought to you today by the letters M and C and by the number 12.

Cool

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found £5 at a petrol station and handed it to the cashier (knowing that they'd pocket it) but Karma is the only thing keeping me alive right now... so ...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:13 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handling stolen goods Folded arms I'd have left it there 'til CSI turned up.

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:21 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I heard about someone who found £50 in an envelope ... it was for the deposit on a wedding dress.

In 1804? That or someone was planning on wearing a dress made from Bags For Life.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:50 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a £20 victim surcharge and £135 in court costs.

That's the sort of theft I'm more concerned about.

goto10 wrote:
hellkat wrote:

Anything over that ... my morals regarding cash would be considerably slacker Shifty ... for better or worse, my "They must be dodgy and can afford to lose it" radar would kick in.

https://money.aol.co.uk/2013/11/05/honesty-doesnt-pay-builder-gets-nothing-after-handing-in-18k/

A nice example of why the proceeds of crime act is about as much as stealing from the public as it is from genuine criminals.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
Quote:
a £20 victim surcharge and £135 in court costs.

That's the sort of theft I'm more concerned about.

goto10 wrote:
hellkat wrote:

Anything over that ... my morals regarding cash would be considerably slacker Shifty ... for better or worse, my "They must be dodgy and can afford to lose it" radar would kick in.

https://money.aol.co.uk/2013/11/05/honesty-doesnt-pay-builder-gets-nothing-after-handing-in-18k/

A nice example of why the proceeds of crime act is about as much as stealing from the public as it is from genuine criminals.

Quote:
However, he lost, as the court concluded that the fact the money was in a single denomination, carefully sorted, and hidden meant it was likely to be the proceeds of crime.

Because sorting money into large-denomination notes (less bulk) and then not leaving it out on the fucking table under a bright light next to an open window has to mean it's bent.

Lesson learned folks...never, ever, hand-in large sums of cash. Apparently the state has a licence to steal it.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:09 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

Because sorting money into large-denomination notes (less bulk) and then not leaving it out on the fucking table under a bright light next to an open window has to mean it's bent.

Lesson learned folks...never, ever, hand-in large sums of cash. Apparently the state has a licence to steal it.

I would have imagined a big bag of crumpled/bloodstained £5 and £10 pound notes stinking of weed was the gold standard for "likely to be the proceeds of crime"

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost my wallet on the dancefloor. Kept checking the lost and found and after a few hours it turned up with my cards/licence and 50 EUR of cash still in it which I thought fair enough.

A few months ago I was waiting for a bus and a guy cycling past had his wallet fall out. Didn't manage to get his attention so posted it back to him at the address on his drivers license. Tracked him down on FB and let him know it was on its way back to him. Didn't hear anything for a few weeks then got a thank you message out of the blue so all went fine.

Karma loop closed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 43 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3