BCF: Bike Chat Forums

fastest you have been?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 14 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about 16, and I had a ten speed Pegeuot racing type bicycle.

I went down Highdown Hill in Durrington, I was in top gear when I started free wheeling till I got up enough speed to pedal, I pedalled hard as I could, and I got so I couldn't pedal anymore, as it was too "slack" couldn't put any more oomph into it.

I think I did about 50mph. I had a little speedo on the bike, fairly simple thing, that used a little wheel that touched on the side of the tyre. The speedo went off the clock and stopped working, and at the bottom of the hill the wheel had melted. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 21 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

46.7 mph on my freeride bike.that was coming down from my local trail down a very narrow back road Very Happy bike did feel pretty stable to

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 21 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

46.7 mph on my freeride bike.that was coming down from my local trail down a very narrow back road Very Happy bike did feel pretty stable to
unitynotsocri... This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

gonzo1
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:53 - 31 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 confirmed on a fairly accurate computer on my moulton tsr30 down a local rarther dangerous hill near combe martin.I've tried for 50 on numerous occasions but can't quite get there.
Went down a 1in 3 hill to try and beat it but ended up with my brakes hard on all the way down and suffered a blow out at the bottom.......and there ended my attempts to beat 50mph......nearly killed myself.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 01 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

39.6Mph down queens drive (for all you scouse devils on here) towards the setter an vine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cyclingbiker
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:11 - 03 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

52mph down Cothercott Hilll in Shropshire on an old road bike and a touch less on the same hill but on a fully loaded tourer with canti brakes Shocked

It doesn't bear thinking about coming off at that sped considering what I don to ride my motorbike, even around town I have at least a jacket, full face helmet, leather gloves and ankle boots.

Still it is good fun after slogging all the way up and getting a rewarding gravity assist to make up for it.

Mod 1 - Passed - 12/11/12 --- Mod 2 - Passed - 26/11/12

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 28 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set off one of those speed warning signs last week. I was pedalling on the flat. Thumbs Up

Fiona84
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:52 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit 38mph on Sunday down a hill. Beat my previous fastest speed of 35mph. Only managed it because it was a smooth back road and all the ramblers had gone home so I knew I didn't have to brake Smile
Normally I chicken out and brake Sad

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:13 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Alps somewhere north of 70mph. Personally I'm much prouder of the fact I average about 1/10th of that on the way up.

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 48mph on a big wide A-road downhill with no roads joining it for anyone to pull out on me.. planned. Knees clamped on top tube to try and stop the speed wobble !

Can't believe Sean Kelly's top speed! ...
https://www.google.co.uk/#safe=active&q=sean+kelly+top+speed

Ajo
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:51 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Re: fastest you have been? Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
for anyone in the north west area, i did Parbold hill yesterday, think its steepest point is 14%

coming down it was fun though was holding 45mph according to GPS

so how fast you been?

I live fairly locally, was around there this morning actually. Fastest I've been in this country is down Shaley Brow past the golf course, hit 58mph for a split second. Managed the same in the Czech Republic but on a much longer safer descent.
I don't like flying down parbold with the right hand turn just after the speed camera putting cars at a stop as you come hurtling down behind.
Hunters hill and Roby mill are also two good uns!
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 304 days between these two posts...

moogster
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:15 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: fastest you have been? Reply with quote

Ajo wrote:
mudcow007 wrote:
for anyone in the north west area, i did Parbold hill yesterday, think its steepest point is 14%

coming down it was fun though was holding 45mph according to GPS

so how fast you been?

I live fairly locally, was around there this morning actually. Fastest I've been in this country is down Shaley Brow past the golf course, hit 58mph for a split second. Managed the same in the Czech Republic but on a much longer safer descent.
I don't like flying down parbold with the right hand turn just after the speed camera putting cars at a stop as you come hurtling down behind.
Hunters hill and Roby mill are also two good uns!

Did Roby Mill in my yoof at nearly 60mph (old Avocet bike pooter so may av been a bit optomistic)! Tight bend at the bottom nearly put me into a startled car driver! Still managed to get up Parbold Hill last year. Used to be soooo much easier when I was 17 Sad

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:31 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

48mph on my Garmin.Head down arse up and not a care in the world.
Worst experience at speed was 44 mph (Garmin again) just straightening after a left hand bend when I hit a stone.
Not a very big stone but big enough to puncture front and rear tyre at same time.Took a bit of effort to stop and at one moment thought I was off but held on to it.
Ever since a similar puncture experience albeit at slow speed I carry two spare tubes for quickness and can usually change tyre quite quick.This time was different as I had worked up a bit of a sweat reaching the speed I was doing and rapidly changed front but the back one every time I got air in tyre and unscrewed pump it was also unscrewing valve which happened a few times and being in Scotland the midges decided to attack.
Don`t know what was worse the near shitting myself or eaten alive.

I now have tubeless tyres.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 5 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2