Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Notice period - Verbal contract

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Notice period - Verbal contract Reply with quote

Hi

First of all, yay me, I have a new job!

Secondly and more importantly, I need to leave my current role.

I have never signed a contract, so only verbally taken on. I have no guaranteed hours, it's a small-ish company so the hours can vary. However I work 37.5h a week give or take, and get paid weekly. I don't know, haven't been told about my notice period.

I have two weeks until I start my new job.

Google/yahoo answers is flaky but tells me the statutory default is 1 week. I was going to give two out of courtesy, but just wondered if anyone knew anything concrete, or if there is something I should reference in my resignation.

TIA

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:57 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been 'employed' for more than a month but less than two years? 1 week.

Might as well work the two weeks unless you like being sat at home doing nothing and not getting paid Thumbs Up

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben90 wrote:

Might as well work the two weeks unless you like being sat at home doing nothing and not getting paid Thumbs Up

Ta very much.

I've written this in my notice;

Quote:
I understand that statutory notice period for employees on a verbal contract, who have been employed for over one month but less than two years, is one weeks notice. However my new position does not start until Monday 3rd April, so I am happy to continue at NobCat company until Friday 31st March.

I will now give you all the Karma.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:25 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why put things in writing now? Just go and see bossman or HR frippet, say "It's not you, it's me. Two weeks OK with you?"

Whatever you do, don't burn bridges.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 21:30 - 14 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Why put things in writing now? Just go and see bossman or HR frippet, say "It's not you, it's me. You want me to keep working for 2 weeks, or...?"

This. Don't dither, hand in your 2 weeks notice like a gent and move one.

"Thanks blah blah, enjoyed blah blah. My last day is blah blah"

and

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah don't get all 'official paperwork'.

"I've come to tell you that I've found another job so I'm leaving. I'll work until Friday 31st and that will be my last day".

I'd leave it until the week before though unless you fancy up to 2 weeks break.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're certain they'll keep you those two weeks, just give them one weeks notice. Sis in laws husband gave two weeks notice, boss was pissed off so surprise surprise didn't have any work for him for the next two weeks.
Don't burn bridges, but equally if they wanted or expected more notice, they should have given you an employment contract etc.

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:12 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand what notice periods actually mean in practice.

Yes, as a professional courtesy, it is a thing one should do to let their employer know that they will have one less member of staff with a reasonable amount of notice.

In reality though, if a member of staff simply stops turning up to work, they would presumably still be owed for the days they did work; any referencing has probably already happened; etc.

Given all of that I've just worked off the basis that I give notice in order to be a nice person (which I do try to be). Whatever is written in the employment contract seems meaningless because if you walk out tomorrow you are no longer in employment.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:14 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In principle, if you breach your contract and they suffer a loss, they could sue you.

In practice, they'd have to quantify it, and it would have to comfortably exceed the costs of them recovering it. It's only going to be an issue for folks with telephone number salaries.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a manager of a department / project / job / site / whatever, you have job to get done. If people walk off jobs and leave you with a gap to fill with no warning it's a pain. I wouldn't hire someone who did that because I'd expect them to drop me in it at some point later on, causing unessecery ball ache. No one wants that.

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:54 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben90 wrote:

Think that is from the employer to the employee. Employee resigning:

Employees' should make it clear that they are formally resigning and it would be best to do this in writing giving the correct amount of notice should be given. By law employees will need to give either one week's notice or the amount stated in the contract whichever is the longer.

Source ACAS - https://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3968

despite the apostrophe, it does not only apply to greengrocers

but as you are zero hours, I guess you could give them a week and not be available that week anyway

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:53 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it verbally, and nicely. Mopst place would also want something in writing but it can be as simple as:

"I hereby give notice that I wish to terminate my employment, effective on the ** ** **."

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:34 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stir the secretary's tea with your old chap, then wave it at your boss and tell him to stick his wanky job up his shitter...

P.S.

don't burn any bridges.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All done.

Every other job I've resigned from has needed it in writing, hence this thread. This one obviously didn't, I just had a chat with him and no problems, I'm working up until I start at my new place.

No bridges burnt. Thumbs Up

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
All done.

Every other job I've resigned from has needed it in writing, hence this thread. This one obviously didn't, I just had a chat with him and no problems, I'm working up until I start at my new place.

No bridges burnt. Thumbs Up

Well played then Thumbs Up

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 14 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1