Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ferry mobile costs .

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ebbs73
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:43 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Ferry mobile costs . Reply with quote

Just a heads up really .
I recently took the overnight ferry from harwich to the hook of Holland on route to the elephant rally
All was well until today , had my mobile phone bill and it shows an extra £26.00 for data useasge abroad .
I called up O2 and they explained that the data isn't included in my plan , errrr yes it is as I pay extra for it as I hop across to Europe a fair few times a year .
" But you went to Norway sir "
It turns out that the ferry company use a signal from Norway on the ferry and there's nothing I can do about it as I used it .
There wasn't any signage or hint this would Be the case .
I've put a few complaints in so I'll sit and wait .

So 3.7 meg has cost me £26.00 , Bargain !
This was O2 , not sure if it could be the same for other networks .

Cheers

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:01 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made that mistake once myself, I wont do it again Embarassed

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:16 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, really annoying but I guess that it could even have been worse. Ferries are notoriously expensive when using their signal. The best bet is to purchase some wi-fi time on board and use an app with VOIP.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the wank worth it, though?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ebbs73
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just me then , live and learn .

3.9mb is not enough for me to finish , not just yet .

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harwich ferry has free wifi on board. Any reason you didn't use that?

Ebbs73
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:57 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even think of the wifi as I have a lot of data on my plan .

I've had a result , they said they will refund the £26 yay.

I was told this would be the only time they would do this and in a very nice way said " you're a cock don't do it again "

I'll be aware next time .

brains_t
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:14 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got hit with this scam on a DFDS ferry crossing Dover to Dunkirk. As I am with Three, I keep data roaming on as my tariff includes mobile data in Western Europe. However DFDS have a non network service and it appears that I used 5mb costing £35. I thought the text messages where incorrect as Three had confirmed my connection to a french network but as we were sailing alongside the french coast between Calais and Dunkirk it switched back and forth to the DFDS service.

I was having none of it and upon my return to UK explained to Three I was not accepting the charge as in the absence of an agreement, they hijacked my connection. The charge was cancelled there and then but they advised me to switch off data roaming on planes and ferries.

I am also aware of o2 users that have had similar refunds. If you dont accept people taking money out if your wallet and walking off, why would you accept this. Please get a refund.

TheCherryCore
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:51 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most ferries are using satellite connection for network cover (except ones staying in shallow waters), so technically, that depends on an agreement between your on-land provider and off-shore satellite company.
And yes, they're seriously expensive, like back to beginning of 90s.
Most ferries would provide _free_ wifi onboard, shaped and limited ofc, restricted to be used for browsing (so no streaming or such) and shared to everyone who's on board. It also goes through the satellite, but those costs are included in tickets, I believe.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 30 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1