Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Strange Noise from Car (Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 CDTi - 2007)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:10 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Strange Noise from Car (Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 CDTi - 2007) Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Not sure if this should go in the Workshop section, but as it isn't related to bikes, I thought I'd ask here.

My car has started to develop a strange noise.
My wife (who uses the car about 90% of the time) noticed it this morning. It happened twice. First time, she stopped, the noise disappeared and she went about her business.
The second time, about 5 or 10mins later, she couldn't stop, but it went again anyway.
I just jumped in and went for a spin around the block. It happened to me too.
The tricky part is describing the noise. Right now, I think my car is a portal to Silent Hill. The noise is somewhere between that half-arsed growling sound that cats make when they're threatened and the moaning that old water pipes make.

When you speed up, it changes to a gradual higher pitch. And when you slow down, it gets deeper. If you stop, it stops but doesn't seem to start again right away.

I can't pinpoint its location, but I think it's somewhere on the front-passenger side. Whether it's something in the engine, or part of the wheel, I can't say.

The car itself performs as shit as it normally does. No change there.

Any clues?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be all sorts of things, but it's obviously drive related.

First stop would be wheel bearing or CV joint, but as it's passenger side, could be gearbox related - I've experienced a few gearbox/diff failures on those and they can make some horrendous noises, on the way to total loss of drive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Strange Noise from Car (Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 CDTi - 2007) Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
Hi guys,

Not sure if this should go in the Workshop section, but as it isn't related to bikes, I thought I'd ask here.

My car has started to develop a strange noise.
My wife (who uses the car about 90% of the time) noticed it this morning. It happened twice. First time, she stopped, the noise disappeared and she went about her business.
The second time, about 5 or 10mins later, she couldn't stop, but it went again anyway.
I just jumped in and went for a spin around the block. It happened to me too.
The tricky part is describing the noise. Right now, I think my car is a portal to Silent Hill. The noise is somewhere between that half-arsed growling sound that cats make when they're threatened and the moaning that old water pipes make.

When you speed up, it changes to a gradual higher pitch. And when you slow down, it gets deeper. If you stop, it stops but doesn't seem to start again right away.

I can't pinpoint its location, but I think it's somewhere on the front-passenger side. Whether it's something in the engine, or part of the wheel, I can't say.

The car itself performs as shit as it normally does. No change there.

Any clues?
Look underneath in case you are dragging a barely conscious cyclist or pedestrian around.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:14 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Could be all sorts of things, but it's obviously drive related.

First stop would be wheel bearing or CV joint, but as it's passenger side, could be gearbox related - I've experienced a few gearbox/diff failures on those and they can make some horrendous noises, on the way to total loss of drive.

Thanks for the response. The wife is going to get it booked in to the mechanics tomorrow. It's our only means of carting the sprogs around, so it's important to get it diagnosed and fixed ASAP.

I'm not sure if this is related, but our front two tyres are both worn badly towards the outside (not the wall, still on the actual grip.)
My first thought was that it's under-inflated, but I'm not convinced as they're symmetrically worn. Now the damage is done, we are going to get a new set anyway, but I'm wondering now if the two things are related.

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:51 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your tyres have worn inner edges because the tracking needs adjusting, this normally would not make any noises.
Your noises could be anything, wheel bearing, binding brakes/shims, cv joint, driveshaft bearing or a gearbox issue, hard to diagnose over the Internet.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:41 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

One part of me wants it to be knackered to the point where we need a new one. The other part knows that I can't afford a new one. Boo.
It's booked in for Friday now. My wife tried it again today and it carried on and even when the car was stationary.
She also said "it got worse too, some sort of grinding noise" so it's off limits until it gets diagnosed.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's still coming from the nearside, probs clutch release bearing breaking up.

Costs around £4-500 I would think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:50 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
If it's still coming from the nearside, probs clutch release bearing breaking up.

Costs around £4-500 I would think.

£4 would be nice...

Billy Balthorpe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:50 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it so it makes the noise, press the clutch, does it go away? If it doesn't hold the clutch down and press the brake does it go away? If it goes away when you press the clutch its probably something in the engine/box/clutch, if it goes away with the clutch down and the brake on its probably a wheel bearing.

Also wheel bearings can be funny things, they can be noisy when the wheel is turned to a certain point, I had a VW Polo which did that.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 39 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1