Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can anyone guide me as to reassemble this item?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:18 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Can anyone guide me as to reassemble this item? Reply with quote

Have fitted new sprocket carrier bearing... and this item is meant to go through the centre of bearing... It wont fit though.

If i run my finger through centre of the part, its smooth no indication anything is damaged, or jammed. But i am curious whether the smaller inner ring... is infact meant to come out and is an old piece of bearing racing.

Noobish with bikes so wondering if i am doing something wrong. Cheers

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17342743_10211971550986771_5115143667390942497_n.jpg?oh=0d07634be56c4a799ef9aa64babde641&oe=5928A090

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

big hammer

if that fails
bigger hammer

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would like to know what bike.

I do know bikes are like lego and everything is interchangeable but call me pedantic.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:18 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does look very much like there is an inner bearing race stuck on the end nearest the camera.

If you fitted the new one, presumably you removed the old one? How did that go? Normally the centre race is pretty important in that process so you ought to have noticed its absence at some point in proceedings (the shower of loose ball bearings when you removed that spacer would have been the first clue).

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:22 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Agreed.

Looks like an internal sprocket spacer to me, not sure if that's a bearing though...

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't fit through the new bearing because the inner race of the old bearing is still on it.

The near end in the picture - that wider bit with the smooth groove running round it is part of the old bearing. You have to knock the tube out of that and then it will fit into the new bearing.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:37 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
It won't fit through the new bearing because the inner race of the old bearing is still on it.

The near end in the picture - that wider bit with the smooth groove running round it is part of the old bearing. You have to knock the tube out of that and then it will fit into the new bearing.

Thanks mate. I was unsure if the entire unit was meant to be like that, or if the smaller inner circle had to be knocked out.

Confusing part though is the bearing I have in the sprocket, is definitely the right one. The end of that part, further from camera, i have tried to see if that would fit through centre of the bearing and it wouldnt... i assumed both ends of the thinner bar are same size.

Big help. cheers

Last edited by RickTaff on 21:40 - 15 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:38 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I do know bikes are like lego and everything is interchangeable but call me pedantic.

Lexmoto Street 125. In middle of direct access and this is just something to commute to work and back in, and odd bit of social riding.

I am told it is something to do with the sprocket...sits in middle of bearing. Was a bit unsure tbh if the whole part was meant to be like it is in the photo... or if the smaller inner circle had to be knocked out

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Pete said the old inner race will have to come off first. It's possibly a different diameter at either end or could just be a tight intereference fit. If the inner tube is a tight fit into the bearing then freeze it overnight and it should slip in.

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:59 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraggem wrote:
As Pete said the old inner race will have to come off first. It's possibly a different diameter at either end or could just be a tight intereference fit. If the inner tube is a tight fit into the bearing then freeze it overnight and it should slip in.

Going to have a crack at removing it tomorrow. Suspect you are right and the inner piece inside the old bearing casing, is a smaller outer diameter than the other part.

On the subject of freezing... if for example.. i had the outer racing of an old bearing stuck inside the sprocket, meaning the new bearing wont quite sit inside the sprocket far enough [ie. the outer racing is sitting where the new bearing should]; would you recommend freezing or a heat gun to remove it?

I suspect this has happened inside the wheel hub and am curious Thanks

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:28 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason people are being a bit cautious in their answers for what should be a simple question is that this looks like a bit of an odd design.

Usually there is a spacer tube between two wheel bearings, and it butts up against the inner race. This is so you can tighten the axle without popping the inner race out of the bearing.
The bearings then sit directly onto the axle. Having an additional sleeve between the bearing and the axle just looks like another opportunity to make a slack fit, or to introduce more space for friction and corrosion to happen.

Have a look on a parts diagram and see what it is meant to look like. If I came across something like that on a Japanese bike I would assume that someone fitted the wrong size bearing in the past, and this is a bodge to get the bike on the road.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's right. Tube spacer plugs into carrier bearing for ease of assembly and buts again wheel bearing to provide axial force for clamping.

No need to freeze it, won't help anyway coz both parts are steel. Hold the tube lightly in a vice with the bearing hub on top and knock the tube it with a hammer and socket. Don't muller the hole.
To re-fit lay the new bearing on a flat surface and tap the tube in until it seats.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:26 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Don't muller the hole.

or the outside edge.

Gently does it - right size drift (socket) that just fits inside the race. Hold the drift tight against the spacer so it is not bouncing around on an angle taking chunks out - flat area to flat area spreads the impact. Gentle taps

Leave a little clearance on the vice - the bearing sits on top of it rather than being gripped by it and put something under for the spacer to land on so it does not pick up a burred edge from landing on something

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:13 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys, managed to get it out. Cheers
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1