Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Spastic Sony PS4/VR HDR

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 20:15 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Spastic Sony PS4/VR HDR Reply with quote

Just want a bit of a whinge about this.

A new update brings HDR to the PS4 however If have a PSVR you can't use it.

It's fucking stupid, there is a 'Processing unit' for the VR, it sits between the PS4 and the TV connected to both via HDMI. HDR requires HDMI v2.0 however the 'PU' only passes through HDMI 1.4.

The worst part is the the error message you get, "Your TV does not support HDR" Yes it fucking does your shitty box doesn't.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:51 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... is it still the future? Smile From what I've heard developers are being a bit cagey about support going forward.

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:38 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

VR? I think it's solid. The the graphics are a little wobbly but it's really works, it's emersive and fun. I've had maybe 10 different people play mine. Everyone has been really impressed. In a generation or 2 it will be out of this world.

The PS Pro is great too I've only played HZD and Uncharted 4 both in 4k HDR they look excellent, noticeably better.

Alan1986
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:37 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this annoying to Chris,

Have you looked into splitters or whatever to fix this yet?
I've read about it abit myself and will buy something to sort it out eventually as it is annoying,

I bought a Samsung ks8000 so I could have 4k and hdr, swapping leads is just an inconvenience I don't want really

chris-red

PostPosted: 22:41 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan1986 wrote:
I find this annoying to Chris,

Have you looked into splitters or whatever to fix this yet?
I've read about it abit myself and will buy something to sort it out eventually as it is annoying,

I bought a Samsung ks8000 so I could have 4k and hdr, swapping leads is just an inconvenience I don't want really

Yeah I have looked it's a lot of money for something that still isn't straight forward. I'm gonna send a 'Formal Complaint' to Sony I doubt it will go anywhere mind.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:16 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
So... is it still the future? Smile

VR was here before, many times before and always failed. Why should this time be any different? Thinking

chris-red

PostPosted: 23:53 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
M.C wrote:
So... is it still the future? Smile

VR was here before, many times before and always failed. Why should this time be any different? Thinking

Rhyno talking nonsense again Laughing

Many times before? Name them? The 'Virtual Boy' doesn't count because it wasn't VR, it was also shit, I know I've tried it. Sega had a bash but never got out of development. This current crop, Oculous, Vive, PSVR etc. are the first consumer VR systems to my knowledge.

If you had tried it, or even looked into it in VR in the slightest you would know they are very good, a quick google shows PSVR getting 5* reviews across the board.

Try to keep you totally uninformed opinions to yourself. Thumbs Up

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Because now we can play Resident Evil 7. Which is worth the cost of the headset just for that.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:41 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

Rhyno talking nonsense again Laughing

Many times before? Name them? The 'Virtual Boy' doesn't count because it wasn't VR, it was also shit, I know I've tried it. Sega had a bash but never got out of development. This current crop, Oculous, Vive, PSVR etc. are the first consumer VR systems to my knowledge.

If you had tried it, or even looked into it in VR in the slightest you would know they are very good, a quick google shows PSVR getting 5* reviews across the board.

Try to keep you totally uninformed opinions to yourself. Thumbs Up

The closes to what you can buy today would be the Forte vfx1 contraption from 1995. Not many games fully suported it. They also, for some reason, didn't make it 3D accelerator friendly and it had some other issues as well, but it was here and it was available.

The technology, the use of 2 separate displays and the 3 button controller were pretty much what the companies in question do today. Well yes, today it's different as Sony put their own money into their contraption but then again, Nintendo tried 3D as well (not the VB) and with mixed results now dropping the 3DS support, to sell more of the Nvidia shield tablets they came up with. Yes ''3D'' is not ''VR''. Well, by the definition of ''VR'' it is though.

3D movie industry also seems to be losing its audience. YET again, 3D films were here many, many times before. Google suggests all started in 1952. Do you remember all the hype around the 3DTv technology not that long ago? Where is it now? It's not the same as VR but it seems like it is in the same area, doesn't it?

Anyway, back on topic. You not even being aware of the vfx1 suggests the company that made it failed hard. The PSVR games I could see were quite the same experience that I had with the xbox kinect. Party games, party games and party games. Why, why and why? Then there was the ugly version of the Driveclub, which was actually worse to play than on a normal LCD screen.
Yes, there are applications where the VR will give you better gaming experience, but the PS4, not even the PS4 Pro, is not powerful enough to give you that. VR on PC is too expensive to even consider it.

Funny you mention the Virtual Boy. I was gonna say the exact same thing in my original post in this thread, but then I decided not to, as it felt redundant to mention.

But, I am going to keep my totally uninformed opinions to myself.

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:26 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

3d is not VR you tool Laughing

So by many times you meant once.

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:35 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Party Games all of them?

Like Resident Evil, like EVE, like Batman, like Until Dawn, like Drive Club etc. The reason there are 'Party games' out there is because it is a new technology. They are still experimenting with what can be done, many of these games are cheap because they are tech demos rather than actual games. However they are a fair few full fat games out there and many more in the works. The fact you are comparing it to kinnect and the 3DS show you have no idea what you are talking about. Try it, then come back then give an opinion.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we do need though, is for developers to get behind the tech and produce games people want to play.

Resi 7 is superb

Farpoint is looking pretty decent and Star Trek: Bridge crew should be pretty decent if you like that sort of think, but I can't think of any other true AAA title scheduled for release before the Autumn.

The PSVR seems to have sold well, and should hopefully get some traction as a VR solution for the masses, but it really needs Sony to through it's weight behind it and produce proper, full length games are going to keep people interested.

Here's hoping!

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:02 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
What we do need though, is for developers to get behind the tech and produce games people want to play.

Resi 7 is superb

Farpoint is looking pretty decent and Star Trek: Bridge crew should be pretty decent if you like that sort of think, but I can't think of any other true AAA title scheduled for release before the Autumn.

The PSVR seems to have sold well, and should hopefully get some traction as a VR solution for the masses, but it really needs Sony to through it's weight behind it and produce proper, full length games are going to keep people interested.

Here's hoping!

There is a new Ace Combat game I'm looking forward too not sure when that is out. I think a lot more will be announced this year, and I imagine a few games in development might convert parts/all to VR.

I think the success was a surprise, I preordered it and was 70% sure I would return it for being crap. I played until dawn first and was blown away. You start on a rollercoaster, there is a bit where the track rises and drops quickly and my stomach lurched Laughing I knew it would be a success then. The games will come I think (and hope!).

In it's favour, I think they will be able to turn games around quicker as the most time consuming part of modern AAA games development is the modeling of the graphics. PSVR is a step back in that way it looks like early PS3 graphics (the unit MUST keep 120fps and it drops the quality accordingly to maintain it).

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:34 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
3d is not VR you tool Laughing

So by many times you meant once.

Define VR, please. Is Virtual Boy VR?

And there were more efforts, all of them failed.

''VR'' compared to kinect, 3DS... all I wanted to say was, that these were also very appraised novelties, that failed hard.
I'm not sure if it's the language barrier or you are just too biased, reading every other sentence of what I say.

You could argue, that today we have more powerful HW to run VR properly, but that would be nearsighted.

Yes PSVR might be here to stay, Sony put money into it. The PC market VR will probably fail hard. HTC vive and Oculus rift being too expensive, requiring very powerful PC hardware to play what exactly? Yet again, the argument here could be, that as the time goes the PCVR and HW required to run the games would become cheaper, BUT that is not the case, is it?

Monkeypony wrote:
Need for more AAA games

I did my research and Naughty Dog said: VR is not really the direction that we’re headed. PSVR being the only reasonably affordable VR today, that is a sad news, even though their games are exclusively using the third person view.

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:17 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technology that tricks the senses into believing the body is a different virtualised environment. Like I said with Until Dawn I felt my stomach drop on the rollercoaster as if I had actually been on it. The sight and sounds made my body think it was actually moving, it was non emotional reflexive action.

I have a game called 'headmaster', in which you have to head footballs, it is fun but I must admit the life span of it was a bit short, it very much falls into the 'party game' area however it was £15 I think so no complaints. My Dad had a go, he was a reasonable footballer in his day. He fluffed a header and the ball went straight up in the air his immediate reaction was to volley it towards the goal. Which was painful has he kicked the coffee table.

When Ronnie O'Sullivan Tried a Pool VR game (Hustle kings or something) he went to take a shot and immediately fell flat on his face has he tried to lean on the table.

That is VR

The virtual Boy is not VR, if you have used one you would know why.

I'm happy to debate VR and if I'm biased it's because I have ACTUALLY used it. My issue is you spouting crap about it with no experience first hand experience in the matter. I'll say it again, try it and them comeback.

The experience of VR bears no resemblance no resemblance to kinnect or 3d films or especially the 3DS.

I can say that because I own a kinect, 3d TV, PSVR, and I have first hand experience playing a 3DS.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:48 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

''VR'' compared to kinect, 3DS... all I wanted to say was, that these were also very appraised novelties, that failed hard.

You're not talking about the Nintendo 3DS are you, as I wouldn't class that as VR or a failure.

I've used the Gear VR with phone games and some PC games. I'll be looking at getting a next gen VR instead of a TV (unless I want to watch 4k content).
I've even started to take 360 photos because of VR. Converting some panoramic photos I have because it's a better experience looking at them in VR compared to screen

Alan1986
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:08 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently playing through resi 7 in VR,
Probably would have finished it by now if I wasn't using the headset, great game though

Thumper is also quite good for 15 quid, need headphones on turned right up though

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:33 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan1986 wrote:
I'm currently playing through resi 7 in VR,
Probably would have finished it by now if I wasn't using the headset, great game though

Thumper is also quite good for 15 quid, need headphones on turned right up though

I should buy RE7 but I'm genuinely scared too, the 'Kitchen' demo shit me up Laughing

I just watched a trailer for thumper, it looks horrible. Like being raped in the face with colour and speed. Laughing

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I should buy RE7 but I'm genuinely scared too, the 'Kitchen' demo shit me up Laughing

You need this game in your life.

Trust me!

It's well paced with the tension and jump scares, so it's not like it full on psychological trauma all the way through! Laughing

Although, Having the ability to save as many times as you like has me running back to save points regularly, which kind of reduces the tension a bit. I'd have rather they'd gone back to the old ink ribbon system to up the fear of death a bit.

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:00 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
chris-red wrote:

You need this game in your life.

Trust me!

It's well paced with the tension and jump scares, so it's not like it full on psychological trauma all the way through! Laughing

Although, Having the ability to save as many times as you like has me running back to save points regularly, which kind of reduces the tension a bit. I'd have rather they'd gone back to the old ink ribbon system to up the fear of death a bit.

I loved RE up to Veronica, 4 was a good game, but IMO not Resident Evil, it would have been just as good as a new Franchise. 5 was OK, but still didn't feel like Resident Evil. 6 was awful.

7 looks great but again not what I think RE should be. I want to play it I'll probably give it ago once I've finished a few other games. I bought Ride 2 at the Weekend for £20 with all the DLC. It's not bad, things aren't believable but it is still fun.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the VR but not the PS4 Pro. Though I might be tempted for this later in the year. (i.e. move the TV upstairs to a kids room).

The only thing is having to junk My PS4, we already have one upstairs also. So I would need to sell.

I've been playing Haunted Rollercoaster recently and on Sunday I played the racing game which came on the demo disk. (I had to go outside as I started sweating).

I think the VR is an excellent piece of kit and like the earlier posts, it can only get better.

The recent update also allows 3d blurays, but I haven't tried this.

In fact I only ever go on the VR when the dog is in the garden or in his crate as the risk of damage is too great.

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

its okay, HDR will go away, again, again, again. the source engine used it back in the demo for HL2 (think it was called lost coast or something). don't think it was used in the final release of HL2.

HDR struggles in the place it works best - photography. exposure merging has mostly replaced it. part of the reason it does not seem to persist is that every frame needs to be processed 3 times (at least), so to get 30FPS, you need the game to run at 90FPS. or 180FPS to get 60FPS. now consider the fact that most games struggle to run 30FPS, asking them to run 3 times as much in the same time is a big, big ask when combined with the increase in detail and resolution. For all the advertised extra power of the PS4 Pro, is not actually that powerful at just 4.2 teraflops - my PC had that 9 years ago

VR has been around since the 80s, just like 3D were you get to where stupid glasses. they died out then, the latest version of 3D is already all but dead. I am pretty sure the VR will go the same way.

its also worth noting that the PS4 pro does not actually have a 4K Blu-ray drive. which can be argued is a handicap.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:09 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried watching a few VR/3D things on google cardboard and just got motion sickness really quickly. Until they sort that then whats the point?

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:56 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

orac wrote:
its okay, HDR will go away, again, again, again. the source engine used it back in the demo for HL2 (think it was called lost coast or something). don't think it was used in the final release of HL2.

HDR struggles in the place it works best - photography. exposure merging has mostly replaced it. part of the reason it does not seem to persist is that every frame needs to be processed 3 times (at least), so to get 30FPS, you need the game to run at 90FPS. or 180FPS to get 60FPS. now consider the fact that most games struggle to run 30FPS, asking them to run 3 times as much in the same time is a big, big ask when combined with the increase in detail and resolution. For all the advertised extra power of the PS4 Pro, is not actually that powerful at just 4.2 teraflops - my PC had that 9 years ago

VR has been around since the 80s, just like 3D were you get to where stupid glasses. they died out then, the latest version of 3D is already all but dead. I am pretty sure the VR will go the same way.

its also worth noting that the PS4 pro does not actually have a 4K Blu-ray drive. which can be argued is a handicap.

Another person with opinions based on fuck all Laughing

1. Lost Coast came out AFTER HL2 as a demo for the technology.

2. HDR in Photography is not the same process as HDR in TV. Every frame is not rendered 3 times, HDR increases the amount of contrast and the depth of colour in the screen funnily enough giving the image a Higher Dynamic Range. Have you seen anything in 4k HDR? It is the future, (well it's not it's here now) in the same way HD was. Things look great in it, give it 5 years it will be on every TV.

3. Consoles are always less powerful that PC's that's why they are cheaper. When you have locked hardware you can develop a program a lot more efficiently

4. 3D is not VR, it is a totally different experience. Again I ask, have you tried it? I'd bet no.

Why when you don't know about something do you feel the need to slag it off? I just don't understand that mindset.

Last edited by chris-red on 12:23 - 23 Mar 2017; edited 2 times in total

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:59 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
I tried watching a few VR/3D things on google cardboard and just got motion sickness really quickly. Until they sort that then whats the point?

I think that may be down to the low quality of doing it on a phone, I know the feeling you mean, and I haven;t experienced it on the PSVR.

Certainly you can't play as long as after a while you feel like you need a break. I think I have played for about an hour solid without removing the headset and probably up to 2-3 hours in a session. It is best however if you play in 20-30 minute chunks then have a rest for a few minutes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 6 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2