Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Leasing computer for small business

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:22 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Leasing computer for small business Reply with quote

Anyone done it/does it?

Seems like a reasonably tax-efficient thing to do, and would keep me up to date technology-wise, with a modern computer (i.e., non-Vista) that at least doesn't sound like a jumbo jet taking off.

The marketing bumph fell out of a Federation of Small Businesses magazine, so I am assuming it has to have some merit for small businesses if they agree to put it in there?

Perhaps I can even get them to link it to my BIG TELLY SCREEN for whatever useful purpose that has (apart from the Dept of Privacy Invasion watching me eat cake in my knickers and a dirty T-shirt). One presumes if I have a 50 inch telly, I can link it up and watch Better Call Saul on Netflix in superscreen size (all I really want it for). What ARE the benefits of smart tellys?

I've had PCs/Windows in the past, and they do offer those, but they seem quite Apple-intensive, and I am not sure I can be bothered going to Apple now. Is there any benefit btween switching from one to the other at this late stage of the proceedings? I don't really do arty/design stuff on there although if I had a big screen link-up then I could more easily edit medical papers without squinting, I suppose.

Also, there's some bit of paper I have here that says you can buy it for £1 after your term (3 years, I think) is up, but why would I?

Also-Also, I'm assuming that if anything goes wrong with it, they fix it or send you another one? Only I recently had to stamp my feet rather loudly at O2 for fucking me about with my phone when it "broke", and I don't really want to have to go through that with computery lease people.

Answers to fit on a postage stamp/obligatory hellkattish techy words of one syllable or less, please.

Edit: Company I'm lookin at is called HARDSOFT. Any other recommendations?

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:48 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to stick my neck out and arbitrarily guess that you can get a NUC (e.g. mini form factor machine) for about 300 quid that will do everything you want except play the latest vidya games. Less if you actually look hard.

Add in a 100 quid monitor and 20 quid worth of mouse and keyboard and you're there.

It will be current in 2-3 years. How much is this 'lease'? Less than 15 quid a month?

To me it sounds like a load of faff, another contact, etc etc. I suppose it depends how 'small' is 'small' but I would think when a few days' invoices pays for a new machine entirely you are far better off just doing that than putting too much research in to third parties.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:36 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt rent a pc, and that's not the geek in me speaking.

cheapest pc per week is 4.20 +vat
over 3yrs that works out to be 786.24 in vat

499 inc vat (424 after cashback)
https://www.ebuyer.com/747122-zoostorm-origin-desktop-pc-7260-0182

24" monitor for 100 inc vat
https://www.ebuyer.com/720854-acer-g247hyl-23-8-ips-led-full-hd-monitor-um-qg7ee-009

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 04:51 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you were renting some BADASS top spec machine (that costs thousands), I don't see why you would bother?

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:39 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Leasing computer for small business Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
The marketing bumph fell out of a Federation of Small Businesses magazine, so I am assuming it has to have some merit for small businesses if they agree to put it in there?

Nope - will not be recommended or endorsed or possibly even known about. That would be my assumption

hellkat wrote:
Anyone done it/does it?

Perhaps I can even get them to link it to my BIG TELLY SCREEN

Just an HDMI cable - biggest potential issue is how close the PC and telly are to each other.

hellkat wrote:

I've had PCs/Windows in the past, and they do offer those, but they seem quite Apple-intensive, and I am not sure I can be bothered going to Apple now. Is there any benefit btween switching from one to the other at this late stage of the proceedings? I don't really do arty/design stuff on there although if I had a big screen link-up then I could more easily edit medical papers without squinting, I suppose.

A Mac will cost you more monthly. It depends what you do. If you use specific software, you may have to use the MAC version or an alternative - possible extra expense. If it is work related, that may not be so easy

hellkat wrote:
Also, there's some bit of paper I have here that says you can buy it for £1 after your term (3 years, I think) is up, but why would I?

Why not? If it still does the job you need, why spend more money?

hellkat wrote:

Also-Also, I'm assuming that if anything goes wrong with it, they fix it or send you another one? Only I recently had to stamp my feet rather loudly at O2 for fucking me about with my phone when it "broke", and I don't really want to have to go through that with computery lease people.

?

They should but does their SLA meet your specific needs? You will still be responsible for data loss. They will not cover that so usual back up regime required.

Personally, I would not bother unless I had no money in the world. I would just go and buy one. Either way, I would suggest going through what you intend to use it for. Just about anything will do web based stuff but if you want to do more resource intensive work, it pays to spend some time working out what you actually need performance wise

If you shop around, also check Costco. They usually have some good deals

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:57 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need a silicon graphics machine for high end game development then yes. If you need a machine to do word, excel and powerpoint, buy a secondhand machine from someone on here, or spend £3-400 on a Dell desktop or similar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1