Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First "big" bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Screw Loose
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:52 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: First "big" bike? Reply with quote

I'm currently completing my a2 licence catagory having not ridden in a few years (last bike was a CBF125) and been doing my lessons and tests on an ER6-N.

Im looking at spending up to £2.5k on my first bike. I'm torn at the moment between the GSX650F and the Bandit 600s. I personally find the GSXF the better looking of the two, but the bandit is significantly cheaper. Do I spend the extra on the bike I want the most or do I buy the cheaper bike and spend the rest on touring and enjoying riding again?

Otherwise does anyone have any alternative ideas for bikes which fit into the a2 Catagory which would be good for touring? I quite fancy going through Europe on it (two up) in July.

Thanks in advance! Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:34 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GSX650F is significantly more modern. Water cooling, hydraulic clutch, available with ABS, less likely to need money thrown at it to sort sad suspension or balance carbs.

If I were going touring, especially with a pillion poppet, I reckon I'd splash the cash on as nice an example as I could find, to reduce the risk of a tour turning into a drama.

Try and blag a test ride in stop-start first though, as even the half faired 650 model is (IME) fairly lardy and doesn't carry its weight particularly well.

That said: why not the ER6-F?

Screw Loose
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:51 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sat on an ER-6F and found it a nice bike, however the er6N ive been on at the training school seems a bit twitchy?

I noticed the weight on the GSXF, would that pose problems with the a2 "restriction"?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:56 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, unless you plan to drag race up mountain roads. It's more that you won't want to be stopping on a camber, especially with a pillion on the back.

I may be over dramatising a bit because I dropped a brand new Bandit 650 (GSX650F without all the frock), and be misrecollecting just how top heavy it was. I'm only talking at a stop or doing very slow manoeuvres here, extra weight = extra stability on the move.

They're perfectly decent bikes, good value for money (privately, don't pay silly dealer prices) and are one of the few big, faired, sporty looking bikes that are A2 compliant. I don't mean to put you off them, it's a smart buy if you find a good one.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:11 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er6 will bore you quickly if you like a bit of pace and ride out regularly. I'd not have kept mine as long as I did if I was
anything but a sunny day rider. The novelty of going for a ride at all even on an ER6 was enough to get me to
ignore the bikes vanilla nature it was however, a good sturdy and easy to get on with bike none the less. But I did get to the
point where I was pinning it all the time so I'd enjoy riding it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:12 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

They're perfectly decent bikes, good value for money

What he said.

Yes, they are a bit heavy. Wifie had the 650 with the half fairing and found it heavy. I thought it was fine and certainly a fair bit of get up and go Thumbs Up I preferred it to the ER6-N she has now. She doesn't. Horses for courses and all that.

If you plan on touring the F with the full fairing makes sense.

Screw Loose
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 05:08 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thankyou very much, looks like I've had all the convincing I needed haha!

I've been sending my other half pictures of the BMW C1 all night (winding her up) so I'm sure she will prefer the 650F

How much should I be looking at spending on a decent model? Bikes seem to be a bit more expensive this year than usual, or is it just me Question

Thanks again Lads Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Karma

Screw Loose
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 05:28 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I'm here whats the current thing with restricting for an A2 licence?? £60 plus fitting for four washers seems steep. Are people generally still going for the PaddyCert??

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:21 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price is: eBay, "GSX650F", click Advanced, check "Sold listings".

That's what they're actually changing hands for.

Restriction, dunno. The 650 is fuel injected so it's likely to be a throttle stop rather than washers. £60 for a single bit of metal and an OFFISHAL CERTIFICUT is steep, especially when you consider the possibility that it won't actually restrict to anywhere near to 35kW anyway. Up to you.

Screw Loose
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:30 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Price is: eBay, "GSX650F", click Advanced, check "Sold listings".

That's what they're actually changing hands for.

Restriction, dunno. The 650 is fuel injected so it's likely to be a throttle stop rather than washers. £60 for a single bit of metal and an OFFISHAL CERTIFICUT is steep, especially when you consider the possibility that it won't actually restrict to anywhere near to 35kW anyway. Up to you.

Thanks very much Rogerborg! Much appreciated Karma

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one's opined fazer 600 yet!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 06:58 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arguably not quite A2 restrictable.

Screw Loose
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:40 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough I did go sit on an Fz6 (allegedly A2 restrictable as opposed to the Fazer 600) and fell in love! Certainly seeming like my favourite right now. I also sat on a hyosung gt650r, which was awful, and an Sv650, which felt like a kids toy and wasn't overly comfortable!

Not yet found a bandit 600s nearby to have a sit on

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:15 - 01 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I may be over dramatising a bit because I dropped a brand new Bandit 650 (GSX650F without all the frock), and be misrecollecting just how top heavy it was. I'm only talking at a stop or doing very slow manoeuvres here, extra weight = extra stability on the move.

I don't think you're, that's the bike I had to struggle through my tests on and it's extremely top heavy.

Screw Loose wrote:
Funnily enough I did go sit on an Fz6 (allegedly A2 restrictable as opposed to the Fazer 600) and fell in love! Certainly seeming like my favourite right now. I also sat on a hyosung gt650r, which was awful, and an Sv650, which felt like a kids toy and wasn't overly comfortable!

Far as I'm aware it's the FZS600 that's 'restrictable' and the FZ6 isn't.

Not a complete list but a good start: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/595844/motorcycle-test-vehicle-list.csv/preview

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

how you finding the er6 you're learning on? I quite like them, for what my opinion is worth. theyre comfortable and easy to live with.

as for getting bored, i had an er5 for some time... people said i'd get bored. and in the end i did change up for some reasons. including power. but i did find it enough of a bike for most situations in honesty.

as they say it's better to drive a slow one fast than a fast one slow. I stand by that statement as pretty much gospel

Westbeef
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:52 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://a2bikes.co.uk/browse

Here's a list of the bikes you can allegedly restrict, however I can't see anyone getting the likes of this on an a2 Laughing

https://a2bikes.co.uk/bike/yamaha-xv1900
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 352 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1