Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Versys instrument cluster intermittent

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

daverave999
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:16 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Versys instrument cluster intermittent Reply with quote

I'm becoming a bit stumped with this one, but don't want to assume straight away that it needs replacing as that's expensive...

2007 Versys instrument cluster. Example (not mine) image here.

LED backlight still works, indicator, neutral, oil lights still come on, but no LED segments. I have no speedo, clock or fuel gauge. The analogue tachometer also moves to new position, but just stays in that place.

I wondered if some water had got in so I've had the connector off and it is absolutely pristine. Put some WD40 on it anyway, and either side where the wires connect.

Charging is at correct voltage so it's not been damaged by that.

Anything else to try before it goes to the garage? TIA

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:53 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with corroded PCB tracks being near the top of the list. Probably earths.

You can sometimes solder a flying lead on to bypass them.

If you can get to it, corrosion is usually obvious.

It is not a simple PCB.

https://images.cmsnl.com/img/products/metertacholcd_big280110063-02_d146.jpg

daverave999
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:37 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.
I was concerned it might be something like that but didn't know if there was anything else I should try first.

I guess it'll be worthwhile taking a look at the PCB as it will probably be obvious if it is corrosion.

As you've seen from the source of your photo, it ain't cheap to replace!
Guess I might need to just suck it up, and actually use my cover if I need to install a new one.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 30 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1