So, has it been?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:57 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
...delivered

So, has it been?

No, but that's down to the Royal Fail who are happy to assure me that it's still "ready for delivery" after 6 days at the local depot.

They're sending another one out, but I'll need to source myself one of those G-suits that fighter pilots use to deal with the extra acceleration.

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:48 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:
It's a shame to lose a manufacturer of exhausts which have actually been tested during development. I recall Motad asking for people with certain bike models to loan them one for testing.

On my bike (2001 CBR6f) the cheapo chinese downpipes I ran for a while gave it gaping flat spot half way through the range. Reports of Delkevic and Sandy's bike spares etc doing the same on my model.

The motads I eventually fitted were made of thick stainless steel, everything lined up perfectly and the bike ran like OEM. I don't care about cans, but decent downpipes can be hard to find.

Exactly! Say all you like about comparing cans, downpipes are the real story here. How many bikes come out of the salesroom with quality stainless steel downpipes? - not many. How many bikes hit 10 years old and have pipes riddled with holes and no chance of anything OEM to replace them? - all of them.

Downpipes are where you need something quality that last, something that fits, doesn't have you bitching to align it all up, and maintains stock performance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:23 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, I see "Sandy Bike Spares" are now trading as "Black Widow Exhausts".

I bet their downpipes still don't fit though.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:28 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motad pipes were good because they fitted.

I spent an enjoyable few hours with BillyJ, also of this parish, persuading a pair of meant-to-fit downpipes and universal silencers to fit his CB250RS, then he spent many more hours altering the silencers to make them quiet enough to not get arrested.

The parts didn't cost much less than a Motad system, which would have taken half an hour to fit.

That said, the Motad system looks shit.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:00 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
I feel its the same or at least similar for exhausts, Not particularly complicated engineering, so the difference between a China knockoff and an Akrapovic cant be too big.

Silencers are not complicated, down pipes (diameters, lengths and how they join) is quite complicated and very few people understand it.

All the best

Katy

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

The ones on my Bandit did.

Eventually. Mr. Green

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:14 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Motad pipes were good because they fitted.

The parts didn't cost much less than a Motad system, which would have taken half an hour to fit.

That said, the Motad system looks shit.

I always thought that was the problem.

They fit well, don't bugger up the performance, they covered a huge range of bikes, but they look shit and sound worse.

I've had a couple of Neta systems on bikes, which went some way to address the look and sound issues, but then they discontinued the silver can wrap option, in favour of just gold, which was never going to be the universal choice.

If they've gone broke because they weren't selling enough, they should've been a bit more attuned to the market, which seems to want (at the very least) something more aesthetically pleasing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:19 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

If they've gone broke because they weren't selling enough

Well they did lose a huge amount of business when Triumph shifted a lot of their production to Thailand.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:54 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a shame, I had a full motad system on my 535. They were the only people doing an exhaust that was known not to mess with the fuelling. I don't know where I'll turn when the 4:1 manifold (do they call it a collector?) on my bandit turns to holy rust.

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 06:51 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

The 4-1 system I got from them for the XJ9 was a breeze to fit, looks the tits and sounds awesome. Ima fan of exhaustpal.

dannymassive
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:40 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
.....They fit well, don't bugger up the performance, they covered a huge range of bikes, but they look shit and sound worse.

I've gotta agree and disagree with that! The first part of that statement is factual and I completely agree with, plus fitting correctly is what I believe is an expectation when handing over your hard earned. I know that isn't always the case with some manufacturers, but yes, MOTAD fitted well. The second part of the statement is surely a matter of opinion and personal preference?! I know they did different styles of exhausts and full systems, but the ones I had looked good and sounded reasonable - in my opinion!
Previous Ride's - '01 Aprilia SR125 (Sold) '08 HONDA CBF600n (Sold) '96 CB500 (Sold) '01 FZS 1000 (Sold) '06 CB1300SA (Sold) '07 CB600F Hornet (Sold) - '93 Suzuki Savage LS400 (Sold) '98 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm (Sold) '05 CB600F Hornet (Sold) '01 FZS1000 Fazer (Sold) 2016 Harley Davidson Street Bob SE (Sold) '02 Kawasaki ZX9R (Sold) '98 CB600F Hornet (Sold) '04 Suzuki Bandit 1200s (Sold) '13 Yamaha FZ1-N
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 7 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2