Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic : View next topic  

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 22:27 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I'm not doing this again for houses Smile

Then it's best to read and digest posts properly Wink

Houses, it's a really interesting principle is the cost of opportunity. You have to understand the purchase price of the property, the end value of the property over your period of time and any interest costs and insurances etc. Food for thought but I will leave it there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 22:57 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Two final questions from me as this topic isn't really about me or my thing.

1, Put simply for someone like me to understand, what are the primary and most common reasons for people to want to always drive new cars and or say have a new one every 2years or so?

2, Regarding the buy own car and run for 10years thing. Firstly that average depreciation of 2k a year don't sit right with me as most of a vehicles depreciation happens in year 1, 3 and 5maybe. A 2year old isn't often worth massively less than a 1year old, and likewise the 3and 5yr milestones tend to wipe much more value off a vehicle than the usually negligible depreciation from years 5-10? So yeah an average 2k over 10years is one thing, but if the first few years result in say 5x the depreciation that years 6-10 experience, it's not that relevant to work it out as long-term cost.

And secondly, do people that buy a brand new vehicle and keep it for 10years, actually expect it to achieve some resale value worth having after that period? I know it's probably out of date thinking with cars now, but there used to be the old theory that if you buy and run a vehicle for 10years, its done it's thing, earned it's keep, and owes you nothing at all. If someone gives you a few quid for it after all that it's a bonus? I realise the above with today's cars could easily be rescaled to 15years or more in some cases, as cars today are built to last longer than they were in the 70's/80's, which is where the above mentality probably came from.

Why do people want new cars? Many reasons.

Common ones include - the prestige of having a new car (imo a load of bollocks). Never worrying about failure (wrongly in many cases), warranty, having little mechanical understanding and a fear that an older car will always break down. Or purely that the cost is so insignificant to them that they may as well.

My perspective is, the costs in my case are less than running a approved used second hand car and it's a bonus nice thing to have - never had a new car myself before and poor upbringing 'boy done good' story so there is a weird feeling of achievement attached to being able to comfortably afford it. If the costs didn't stack up I wouldn't have it. Plus my wife is middle class so it's fitting of her regency. Wink

Point 2 - depreciation curve - you are correct it's different at different times in a cars lifecycle but ultimately we are comparing cost over time - if the figure given was 23k down to 3k over 10 years - the average is the best thing to use in the comparison. In reality over say year 1 lease cost vs purchase outright cost the lease may be massively cheaper. But it's irrelevant - work out your costs over a fixed time... the depreciation of a vehicle may work in your favour and it could depreciate less. Also it could depreciate more. The advantage to a lease would be knowing your costs in advance and certainly a maintained deal means no surprise bills.

Also with new cars there is a lot more to go wrong than on older cars. My 17 year old BMW 325i was in its day more expensive than the Skoda but has a fraction of the complications the Skoda has electromechanically or in terms of computers/radars/sensors/driving aids etc. This makes me less keen to own one for any long period of time - someone else can take care of those bills.

There is some emotional attachment to cars and people like to think of them as old faithful friends but to me it's a tool (providing we are talking about 'meh euroboxes' and not fun cars / exotica)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:13 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
M.C wrote:

I'm not doing this again for houses Smile

Then it's best to read and digest posts properly Wink

Houses, it's a really interesting principle is the cost of opportunity. You have to understand the purchase price of the property, the end value of the property over your period of time and any interest costs and insurances etc. Food for thought but I will leave it there.

Lol, 4 pages of being proved wrong and it's still everyone else who's thick Laughing

Buying a house has historically been a bit of a lottery, sure everyone's rises and falls, but you don't want to be the one in negative equity. I know someone who bought a flat in 2007 and ended up selling it for half that.

You could say the same thing's happening with classic cars, and the market has fallen apart in the past.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:34 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Lol, 4 pages of being proved wrong and it's still everyone else who's thick Laughing

Followed by...

Quote:

Buying a house has historically been a bit of a lottery, sure everyone's rises and falls, but you don't want to be the one in negative equity. I know someone who bought a flat in 2007 and ended up selling it for half that.

You could say the same thing's happening with classic cars, and the market has fallen apart in the past.

Sooooo... actually more risky than expected.

Here is the Khan Academy video, which stands on its own pretty well. 10 minutes of your life.

Learn yourself some stuffs

The next video is about factoring in the cost of property appreciation/depreciation.

I firmly believe the housing market will drop savagely in the next couple of years, and you will be left holding a negative equity death box soon... but meh, one doesn't say this in polite company.

A good friend of mine has mortgaged to the hilt to buy a particularly wonky house in a meh area. Can't see that ending well, although obviously I hope he does well out of it.

Negative equity is not terrible if you are willing to wait it out, but that period stuck in one location is not ideal.

I would gladly buy a house and stick tenants in it while continuing to live in employer provided accommodation.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 10:40 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:

I firmly believe the housing market will drop savagely in the next couple of years, and you will be left holding a negative equity death box soon... but meh, one doesn't say this in polite company.

If there was a good basis behind that I would happily sell up at current prices - rent for a couple of years and then buy back in when the market has shit it's self. That would be an epic move. But I am not sure I have the same faith.

M.C. I have yet to be proved wrong - I have not said at any point that leasing is the best way it's just the costs do stack up against many other ways of buying a car - more so than is usually expected. Please read what I am writing correctly or give actual examples of a car and real world costs for comparison.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:18 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Sooooo... actually more risky than expected.

Historically was the key word there. You can still buy badly and it depends where you buy. The 100 > 50k example was in Liverpool, London was somewhat sheltered from the 2008 (sort of) housing crash, where Gordon Brown went to extraordinary lengths to protect the banks and housing market.

The only people losing money (in London) are those buying overpriced shared ownership properties. This comes up a lot in the politics section, I think the general consensus is that 'they' will do whatever they can to protect the housing market. I've heard of people who have sold up expecting a crash only to a few years later struggle to get back on.

dodsi wrote:
M.C. I have yet to be proved wrong - I have not said at any point that leasing is the best way it's just the costs do stack up against many other ways of buying a car - more so than is usually expected. Please read what I am writing correctly or give actual examples of a car and real world costs for comparison.

I gave you an example which you disregarded, I then went through 10 years of receipts which proved my example was correct. I estimated the car would cost £5500 to run, my receipts show it cost £5329, but you're still sticking your fingers in your ears and going la la la la.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

The only people losing money (in London) are those buying overpriced shared ownership properties. This comes up a lot in the politics section, I think the general consensus is that 'they' will do whatever they can to protect the housing market. I've heard of people who have sold up expecting a crash only to a few years later struggle to get back on.

Dodsi and yourself both mention this.

It's obviously a tough one, and while the pound is weak I think the housing market will stay very strong. Overseas buyers etc.

The impending dollar collapse will do some very interesting things though. The American stock exchange is thoroughly overvalued, subprime mortgages are back, and cheap credit is soon to be stopped (there is none left to give - every first world country is in debt to the eyes).

I was just in Malaysia, houses were dropping like lead because banks weren't lending any more. Cheap mortgages, ie cheap credit, also buoys housing prices.

Telling when it will happen, and how long... that's the rub.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also depends what position you're in. I've got a healthy deposit saved up but if the housing market did collapse, to the point where I'd actually be able to buy something in the south east, there's no guarantee you'd be able to get a mortgage.

I had this conversation with the 'friend' I mentioned earlier. Now might not be a good time to buy with prices relatively high, and Brexit etc. happening, but wait and you might not be able to buy at all. Obviously a different situation with people wanting to sell up.

Edit: speaking of the US, the 2008 crash did hit the housing market massively.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 16:20 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Also depends what position you're in. I've got a healthy deposit saved up but if the housing market did collapse, to the point where I'd actually be able to buy something in the south east, there's no guarantee you'd be able to get a mortgage.

I had this conversation with the 'friend' I mentioned earlier. Now might not be a good time to buy with prices relatively high, and Brexit etc. happening, but wait and you might not be able to buy at all. Obviously a different situation with people wanting to sell up.

Edit: speaking of the US, the 2008 crash did hit the housing market massively.

Depends which part of the south east - which part do you want to buy in?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anywhere not totally horrid Smile It only seems to be crummy seaside towns where I could afford to live, and then you've got to factor in either working locally for less money, or commuting back into London (cost and time etc.)

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 20:31 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Anywhere not totally horrid Smile It only seems to be crummy seaside towns where I could afford to live, and then you've got to factor in either working locally for less money, or commuting back into London (cost and time etc.)

Commuting to London from the coast is mega money Shocked you could definitely lease a car for less than that cost. Wink

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 21:14 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:

Here is the Khan Academy video, which stands on its own pretty well. 10 minutes of your life.

Learn yourself some stuffs

The next video is about factoring in the cost of property appreciation/depreciation.

Interesting video, it didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know but the numbers were a little out there really and not so relevant for us here in Blighty - for instance we don't have property tax and our mortgage APR are not 6% which really throw the numbers out.

Put simply for me - other flats near me rent for £3.60 - £4.80 for something similar to mine. My mortgage is a few pennies short of £4 based on the 4.something percent Apr i currently have. per month plus my service charges are a further £4 per year or so.

Current market value is £920 I paid £768 for it 1 and a half years ago. And spent a further £56 on renovations so far with a further predicted £20 to spend on a new bathroom. This may increase the value by at least a further £20

I can remortgage come September and bring my mortgage down to £3.20 per month. This is due to my loan to value changing with the increase in property price. This means I have an outgoing less than rental values in my area. The property market would have to massively shrink for the rental costs to reduce to this. Then in a further 23 years that cost goes down to just the service charge.

My equity only Rises as I pay down the mortgage debt so in real terms interest/'safe' investment would not make any good money on the £40 I put down on the flat 1.5 years ago. Even at 5% return that's £2 per year or £3 in total for length of my mortgage so far.

The numbers are all indicative but the % all work in my example.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:04 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
M.C wrote:

Commuting to London from the coast is mega money Shocked you could definitely lease a car for less than that cost. Wink

6k a year (by train), or 180 mile round trip daily. Yes you'd have to be earning enough for it to make sense, I briefly considered it, even on a 4 on 4 off shift pattern it wouldn't make sense.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:52 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:

Put simply for me - other flats near me rent for £3.60 - £4.80 for something similar to mine. My mortgage is a few pennies short of £4 based on the 4.something percent Apr i currently have. per month plus my service charges are a further £4 per year or so.

Current market value is £920 I paid £768 for it 1 and a half years ago. And spent a further £56 on renovations so far with a further predicted £20 to spend on a new bathroom. This may increase the value by at least a further £20

I can remortgage come September and bring my mortgage down to £3.20 per month. This is due to my loan to value changing with the increase in property price. This means I have an outgoing less than rental values in my area. The property market would have to massively shrink for the rental costs to reduce to this. Then in a further 23 years that cost goes down to just the service charge.

My equity only Rises as I pay down the mortgage debt so in real terms interest/'safe' investment would not make any good money on the £40 I put down on the flat 1.5 years ago. Even at 5% return that's £2 per year or £3 in total for length of my mortgage so far.

Aargh, the numbers make my brain hurt more in 1/100th form than original.

76,800 + 10,000 renovations (ish) with 4,000 deposit, mortgage payment of 400 at 4% apr / 25 years.
120,000 total to the bank over term. (Although you said you are remortgaging, due to improvement in house value)
4000 * 25 = 100,000 service charges
(All nominal rates)
Value in buoyed market is 95,000 ish, a net improvement of around 10,000

Rent: 400 * 12 * 25 = 120,000 (nominal)

With such a small initial deposit (5% of an assumed 80,000 mortgage) there is not much opportunity cost on that money there, you’re right. But that 4000 GBP at 5% for 25 years compounds nicely. 13,550 GBP over 25 years.

But you can take that off the rent cost, so that would be 106,500 net for renting.
Much like leasing, no worries about boilers, flooding, pillaging by the huns… etc.

But you’re still paying 40,000 rent on the current house over the 25 years while using the banks money.

And the rates of 4000/year are roughly the same as the yearly rent of 4800 (12 * 400)

If the house value continues to rise, as the last generation saw, then happy days. My parents bought my childhood home for 40k, sold it for 120k in 2001… it went for 300k+ last year.

But it doesn’t seem like something that can continue, especially without such cheap lending from the banks, which I think will slow down in future once central banks are restricted (Praying)

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to own a house. It is definitely on my to do list, but I think I will try to buy in a low economy country and buy outright. This is my current plan. Failing that, a set up similar to yourself certainly doesn’t seem a bad way to do it.

Recently I have been focusing on work with accommodation supplied.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 08:53 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
dodsi wrote:

Aargh, the numbers make my brain hurt more in 1/100th form than original.

76,800 + 10,000 renovations (ish) with 4,000 deposit, mortgage payment of 400 at 4% apr / 25 years.
120,000 total to the bank over term. (Although you said you are remortgaging, due to improvement in house value)
4000 * 25 = 100,000 service charges
(All nominal rates)
Value in buoyed market is 95,000 ish, a net improvement of around 10,000

Rent: 400 * 12 * 25 = 120,000 (nominal)

With such a small initial deposit (5% of an assumed 80,000 mortgage) there is not much opportunity cost on that money there, you’re right. But that 4000 GBP at 5% for 25 years compounds nicely. 13,550 GBP over 25 years.

But you can take that off the rent cost, so that would be 106,500 net for renting.
Much like leasing, no worries about boilers, flooding, pillaging by the huns… etc.

But you’re still paying 40,000 rent on the current house over the 25 years while using the banks money.

And the rates of 4000/year are roughly the same as the yearly rent of 4800 (12 * 400)

If the house value continues to rise, as the last generation saw, then happy days. My parents bought my childhood home for 40k, sold it for 120k in 2001… it went for 300k+ last year.

But it doesn’t seem like something that can continue, especially without such cheap lending from the banks, which I think will slow down in future once central banks are restricted (Praying)

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to own a house. It is definitely on my to do list, but I think I will try to buy in a low economy country and buy outright. This is my current plan. Failing that, a set up similar to yourself certainly doesn’t seem a bad way to do it.

Recently I have been focusing on work with accommodation supplied.

Close but no cigar, the numbers are not in 1/100th Wink

My mortgage is just short of 1k month. Shocked

The renovations included a brand new gas heating system (whole install as it was electric heating before) which means it was done properly using copper piping and a brand new valiant boiler with 5 year warranty. Mound resistant paint, new plastering, new doors, new carpets and floorings and electrical fittings.

So in terms of maintenance there is little to do moving forward, building maintenance is taken care of in my service charge as is building insurance.

Not taking into account any appreciation in property value from today - come September my mortgage becomes less than a rental and in 23 years I stop paying it all together but still have the asset at let's say the same value as today.

Plus then there is security- my home is not 'mine' on the whim of anybody else - I get to have control of what happens to the property and stay here until whenever I want providing I pay my mortgage.

The reason this is different to leasing a car is the asset is generally an appreciating asset/hold the same value.

If I paid £7k to lease a car worth just shy of 24k for 2 years and it was worth £24k at the end with a predicted spend of £60 road tax (VED) (£30 per year) a minor service and possibly a couple of consumables then it would be a terrible decision. But the fact is the car is not worth 24k at the end of the term.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the figures were in proportion, it shouldn't matter I suppose.

What kind of monster gives figures divided like that... Laughing

Weirdo.

Anyway, I appreciate you get a generally appreciating asset at the end of it.

I don't think I'd be comfortable renting long term either, but far less uncomfortable than being forced to by a house in Scunthorpe or something due to difficulties of getting on the market.

And yes, different to the car example, but still interesting nonetheless.

Last edited by Sun Wukong on 13:21 - 23 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 13:10 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Assuming the figures were in proportion, it shouldn't matter I suppose.

What kind of monster gives figures 250 times smaller... Laughing

Weirdo.

Anyway, I appreciate you get a generally appreciating asset at the end of it.

I don't think I'd be comfortable renting long term either, but far less uncomfortable than being forced to by a house in Scunthorpe or something due to difficulties of getting on the market.

And yes, different to the car example, but still interesting nonetheless.

The kind of monster that was giving an indicative example and wanted to see if you would A: work out the actual costs and B: whether or not you would translate them back to real world numbers on a public forum given the 'lengths' I went to disguise them.

The idea of the cost of opportunity is a really interesting one, and given the right scenario would probably be a great thing. I.e. if I 'have' lets say 300K but I could invest that 300K and make money from it so that I never actually paid out of my 'own pocket' for rent on a property. But given my scenario of my own cost of opportunity then the numbers wouldn't stack up. If they did I would probably rent a house too and take advantage of the finances.

There is an argument that if you ordered the latest rare and beautiful super cars that appreciate as soon as you have them due to availability you could effectively drive a car for free. But that involves having a lot of money tied up in cars to enable this more so than the average man would have available.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:

The kind of monster that was giving an indicative example and wanted to see if you would A: work out the actual costs and B: whether or not you would translate them back to real world numbers on a public forum given the 'lengths' I went to disguise them.

Embarassed

Fair one.

Edited...

Length...

Mr. Green

In my defense, too many years not in British culture. Karma

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 13:51 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are an odd bunch us British people - and i can honestly say I have read your posts from your various adventures in all sorts of places all over the world over the last decade or so and felt at times that I wish I had taken a leaf out of your book and been brave enough to just disappear into the world.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
We are an odd bunch us British people - and i can honestly say I have read your posts from your various adventures in all sorts of places all over the world over the last decade or so and felt at times that I wish I had taken a leaf out of your book and been brave enough to just disappear into the world.

We have discussed opportunity cost, right?

I feel like I may as well have gone to prison straight after graduation, and I am just emerging after a 9 year stint... Starting from scratch at 30 years old.

You have a house, enough cash for a leased car and a wife who seems to make you happy Thumbs Up

Aint no way to win this fucker.

But I do hope to catch you at the barbecue Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 28 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5