Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Recommend me some luggage

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Recommend me some luggage Reply with quote

So, just getting into riding, and my birthday is coming up, so keep getting asked what i want, you know the drill

Anyhow, all i can really think is possibly some luggage, tail or tank bag, not really sure. I have a CG 125 at the moment, but don't intend to keep it more than a year once i start with my DAS

So, what would be a half decent luggage recommendation, ideally under £50, won't really be used in full wet weather, but i guess would need to withstand a gentle shower, also, i guess these sort of things are universal and will transfer to any other bike i buy in the future

Not looking for a massive amount of storage, just a basic tool kit, disk lock etc

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kriega.

BCF wrote:
Did he just? Did I just read that right? After defending Oxford, how could thou? Answers and custard NOAW!

You could get a Kriega 5L for £1 under budget or you could up your budget and get a US-10 for £15 more. I'd advise visual inspection and possibly asking nicely to try and put your things inside to see if a 5 or 10 does it for you.

I say Kriega because you don't seem to now what you want and in truth, by the sounds of it, if you get a 10 it will give you some leeway in what might suit your needs in the future plus you want it to be transferable across what bike you buy and the straps, rather than bungee's, allow for this rather than shopping for a bike to suit luggage.

I say buy once, for an extra fifteen quid, and save yourself money in the long run. I've purchased a cheap Lextek set when I had the Arrow and am currently using an Oxford tailbag and for all this I probably could have had a decent collection of Kriega and saved myself the hassle. I'd rather point you towards the right product the first time and to save your bank in the long run. Worse that comes of it is eventually you might need a US-20.

Kriega have a tank adaptor that you can purchase for something like £25 and then it doubles as a tank bag. If you're carrying chains or heavy objects however I'd stick in on the pillion seat as well as for the sake of balance. Just something to look out for in the future. In truth my tankbag's just gathering dust and has never been used on a ride because I'm yet to find a function for it.

So yeah tailbag and make it Kriega.

Happy noaw everyone? Sad Laughing

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Cheers, will have a look into those

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131891759014

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131891759014

I'm guessing is need some sort of rack to mount that too though

Still quite new to bikes Wink

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:45 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and the CG doesn't come with one as standard.

Kriega gets good press here, but dem prices.

Oxford luggage is OK, just don't buy their security products. A magnetic tank bag is the easiest to fit and move between bikes, a tail bag is less obtrusive.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Kriega gets good press here, but dem prices.

Does meet OP's requirements of being transferable to any bike in the future, though. I missed a trick, and thought I was being clever saving monies, when I purchased the Oxford tailbag but then had to shop for a big-un that was suitable to use it on, so I lost in some ways.

Oxford are my current go to but my one uses bungee straps. Looking at the CG it doesn't really appear to have any suitable mounting points on the rear unless I'm not seeing a underside grab rail although at the same time you'll want to take the seat of and ensure you've got a place, the frame, to securely mount the tabs under the seat before you go Kriega.

One reason I've got a US-10 and US-20 in my basket waiting for my hand to go over my face and accidentally click buy now is because the Oxford's base is not really functional if you need to get the seat of. Now that I've realised if ever I was roadside and needed to look underneath then I'd have to remove all the hooks and then re-adjust the velcro upon refitting, faffery upon faffery.

Rogerborg wrote:
A magnetic tank bag is the easiest to fit and move between bikes

If you can find one that won't have the bars hitting it preventing full lock on a tiddler. I tried both the Lextek tank bag and a Oxford and neither gave me the confidence in full control lock to lock to ever go out on the road with it attached.

Would you carry chains in a tank bag? I've seen BVG carry a Kriega on his HP4's tank and while I understand the tank's not just going to fold under the weight I can't think it ideal. Sure in OP's we're not talking 10kg Pragmasis or alike but always had me pondering what exactly you can and can't carry in one of them without risk of denting tank.

If you do ponder tank bag then look at Oxford, I got a deal at LidsDirect but they're being tard's and "re-doing website init" rather than leaving a up and running functional one while they design one behind the scene's. They do have a handy sale section when it's around.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:19 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a par of Oxford 1st time 46l throw-over panniers on the Seven-Fifty, I bought at a ally about a decade ago 'cos cheap, ad I was pizzed off trying to strap school-bags on with bungees, after giving up on trying to find or weld mounts for my hard luggage rack. Soft bag's been there ever since.

Pretty universal; it's bee on Snowie's cruiser, the CB125's and whatever shitheap No1 son was crashing this week when at uni.

Strap under and over the seat, come with straps to tie down to foot-pegs or whatever to stop flapping, keep clear of exhasts etc. They are pretty uiversal and pretty secure. Though much of a much these days aythng in the arena should be too.

They are reasonably cheap, though; and very useful. Throw-overs keep weight low, and you can push it further forward than a tail-pack or anything on a rack.

Bags take 46l each side, so are pretty copiouse, but, they are zip expandable, so when not filled you dont have a huge sack flapping about.

Of all the variouse luggage optios around, it's the one I do rate most (Soft throw-over paniers)

Hard luggage s a little 'too' convenient at times. Throw-overs provide almost the same level of luggage space; and put it in a useful place.

Tank-bag? I have a very nice Oxford life-time two-tier that has lasted a life-time so far! Best bit is the map pocket on the top. Fag to drag on and off to fill fuel, AND magnets dont work on every bike, and have left scratch patches in the paint where the magnets pick up iron flings!

Useful on longer rides/tours to pack travel essetials, like the rider/passenger intercom and in its day a walkman! Fags, spare sun-glasses or visor, drinks and 'stuff' I cant pack ito pockets of tight leathers. and strap lets it be worn as a shoulder bag off the bike... so sort of thing that gets the sandwhiches when out ad about and doubles as something to sit on at a race track! But not so useful for the amout of kit you'd need for a week-end away or dong the shopping.

Tail packs. Never bought a dedicated one; always bungeed old sports-bags on the back, for that added extra when needed.

On THAT topic, I can VERY VERY well recomend a couple of GOOD and I repeat GOOD thick bugee cargo-nets.

Come n a veriety of sizes, and small ones are as useful as large; two or three of thse stuffed in the pockets of the 1st time, with a couple of cam-lock strap-downs have, got me out the shit on countless occassions, in conjuncton wth super-market carrier bags and or a couple of bi liners (also in the panier pocket with them!)

For 'cheap' stocking filla gifts, and £50 is not going to get you much luggage...... I would seriously suggest you find some decent cargo nets.. you could easily bow the whole £50 on three of them, & some cam-straps...

And TBH I'd be 50/50 whether those would be as good or better than the throw-overs.

In days of yore, the amount of 'dedicated' bike luggage available was pretty poor, and there wasn't much between sports bags and army surplus webbing straps and expensive system hard luggage. So, my Uni days, were punctuated by over-loading a 125 with sports bags, and old ex army nap-sacks and 'stuff, until the roll of bin liners was cracked out, and old car roof-rack bungees were risked, and trouser belts doubled up to try and tie it all down for another term in digs!

That grounding in improvisation(And pulling slipped sports bags out o back wheel spokes!!) Was sort of 'fun' as well as educatnal, and shows how little 'dedicate' bike kit you really need....

BUT does make me SO fond of cam buckle luggage straps, that SO reduced the chore and serendipity of trying to string trouser belts together, or put up with heavy trailer tie downs cutting bags to bits or plastic bayonet suitcase straps 'snapping'.

But cargo nets.. when I got one with a magazine subscription, when they were first launched... WOW, probably the most useful innovation in the world of motorcycle accessories since the mageto ignition!

Which s to say, you dot have to think 'big'.. or even 'bag'... those accessories, straps ad nets, can be just as and sometimes even more useful. Especally at budget you aren't lookig to get much bag-wise anyway....

£50?If that was my entire budget.. Yeah, I think would probably be ordering a couple of cargo ets of e-bay; a couple of pairs of cam-straps, and huntg out a cheap school-bag o the market, and expecting to have 'change' to pick up a roll of bin bags to make water-proof and pack 'extras' if needs.

But, some food for thought....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, thinking you might be onto something there Tef, a cargo net would probably be best at this stage, since i'm not really sure what i might need to fit into a bag just yet, might save me from having to replace a tail/tank bag if i find it's not what i really want/need

At least with a cargo net i can just use whatever bags i have already (got plenty of old camera bags that would probably suffice for now)

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:16 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol!
Just for fun
https://scontent.flhr3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10151272_838322382859347_1712806673200371972_n.jpg?oh=76e8da8e4d60a9ffa2c4d4bcc38c27eb&oe=595B8AA3
Sowie's Super-Dream loaded for a rally....
Eh? Woman! Lggage! Woman! WHERE'S the luggage!
https://scontent.flhr3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10614280_838322379526014_6222119187734818787_n.jpg?oh=b75f7dbae79a01db446d9bc8a66f0a59&oe=5926F0B5
"Nah! He'll never notice! I wonder if Icould just squeeze a hair-dryer into that tank-bag?"

Loaded for a long week-end, her argument was I had big heavy bike, so I could take all the big heavy stuff! Which included two tents... YES I WAS!... cos daughter was riding bunny on that as well!

Two 46l took all the cloths and two women's beuty products! Two-Tier tank bag held travel provisions & camera, spare jumper, water-proofs, and odds and sods like that.

Big sports bag cam-strapped accross the tail (I didn't have a 'rack' until after that run!) held the tents and camping kit, and sleeping bags were under the trench-coat that doubled as a ground-sheet, as well as rain 'roof' for sleeping ags cargo-netted on top of the tents.

It is amazing how much you can squash onto a bike, with a little imagination, even without a rack, or top box.... ad it does also distill your ideas a bit, improvisng like that over whether you really need things like the solar-powered patio lights, or which is more important, primus stove, kettle and coffee, or inflatable bed mats and an electric pump to inflate them!

Remember: Necessity is the mother of invention... and cultter expands to fill the space available!

Oh! And o answer the qustion about the solar powered patio-lights.. if you do any camping trips or tent rallies, the answer is they are almost as fantastic an inovaton as the cargo net! Bang them in the ground to illuminate the guy-ropes ad avoid silly questions after half a bottle of Tennessee mash where the tent is, or too many drunks landing in your lap when you have passed out! If you are a bit nifty you can break them down to save space, and pack with the tent pegs, slipping the pegs iside the support tube, if it's hollow! (just a hint!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest ortlieb as I use one strapped to the back of the bike for work, but then I googled and they only seem to be distributed through Touratech now with corresponding prices. Blimey, must remember to look after the one I've got.

Seen good reviews for the lomo bags, but not fondled one in the flesh. eg:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/30L-White-Holdall-Dry-Bag/dp/B00QFM1HRW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1489942203&sr=8-8&keywords=lomo+motorcycle+bag

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:23 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked I didn't read the title right and thought to myself "pah! stupid thread"
Then I read it again and realised it didn't say: Recommend Me Some Sausage Shocked Laughing

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Shocked I didn't read the title right and thought to myself "pah! stupid thread"
Then I read it again and realised it didn't say: Recommend Me Some Sausage Shocked Laughing

Silly sausage

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:02 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a small oxford tank/tail bag. Perhaps an X4? It magnets to a steel tank with no fuss and holds waterproof oversuit, spare gloves, emergency tools and a disklock ok. I prefer it on strapped to the seat if I can do that, and I only really use it these days when I don't have my hard luggage, or I filled it all. has clear section for map/satnav/passes. Some have additional satnav holder. It's in the wrong place really, but satnavs are for listning to not looking at when rolling.

Despite distaste for the oxford brand I quite like the tankbag. It was really good on bikes with small tanks. It didn't lift off the tank like a frank thomas one with shit magnets did at 60ish. Wearing a tankbag on your chest is mildly alarming if you weren't expecting it.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:08 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
I've got a small oxford tank/tail bag. Perhaps an X4? It magnets to a steel tank with no fuss and holds waterproof oversuit, spare gloves, emergency tools and a disklock ok. I prefer it on strapped to the seat if I can do that, and I only really use it these days when I don't have my hard luggage, or I filled it all. has clear section for map/satnav/passes. Some have additional satnav holder. It's in the wrong place really, but satnavs are for listning to not looking at when rolling.

Despite distaste for the oxford brand I quite like the tankbag. It was really good on bikes with small tanks. It didn't lift off the tank like a frank thomas one with shit magnets did at 60ish. Wearing a tankbag on your chest is mildly alarming if you weren't expecting it.

Cheers, i think that is about the right amount of stuff i would be taking with me, so good to know what fits in these sorts of bags, as i say i an totally clueless at this stage being new to whole thing

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:13 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Did he just? Did I just read that right? After defending Oxford, how could thou? Answers and custard NOAW!

Yeah, how bizarre it would be for one of us to point out the stupidity of someone advising against, and then for, the same item of luggage within several days despite at no point actually owning said luggage

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:
Yeah, how bizarre it would be for one of us to point out the stupidity of someone advising against, and then for, the same item of luggage within several days despite at no point actually owning said luggage

Call me a convert. Wub
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 35 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1