PostPosted: 16:53 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Wut Do? Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again wrote:
I has FZR1000 frame Mr. Green

Worth quietly building it up or not?

Good luck with getting an engine...

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You a member of any FZR forums where I can ask the right questions Nobbles?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:25 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. My last engine came from a guy who raced them.

In theory there's enough bits from mine to build an engine but I wouldn't want to try.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

That explains everything Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:26 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

That explains everything Laughing

It was only used in two races than then he retired due to a fucking massive off aftering hitting the bike of someone who had just died in the Manx GP.

It was then stripped and rebuilt so that all the stuff of the starter could be refitted. There was nothing wrong.

I did at least 14k on it before it went bang....

Billy Balthorpe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:39 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the price you can pick up a running EXUP for nowadays its not worth building one up from scratch.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I did at least 14k on it before it went bang....

Oil prices have gone down now that your exup ate it's internals... that's not coincidence.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Billy Balthorpe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:00 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Wut Do? Reply with quote

[/quote]

With your common sense? No.

Genesis? EXUP? Do you know the difference?[/quote]

The confusing thing is that some of the EXUPs had Genesis decals on them. I always thought that the Genesis tag referred to the 5 valve engine with steeply inclined cylinders and almost downdraught carbs as fitted to the '87 and '88 FZR1000. The rest are just EXUPs, the cylinders are less inclined so the Genesis tag shouldn't really be applied.

But I may be biased.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Billy Balthorpe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 02:23 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this is how I see it.

The Genesis tag refers to the engine and not the frame/cycle parts, yes?
The Genesis engine had steeply inclined barrels 5 valves, almost downdraught carbs and no EXUP. As per pre '89 FZR1000/750/FZ750

The EXUP engine was totally different, as far as I know none of the parts are interchangeable between the two engines, or even the carbs/exhaust/clutch/generator etc.

If the Genesis tag refers to the engine, surely only the original should really be called Genesis as the EXUP wasn't even the same general shape.

I always thought that Yamaha liked the name and just applied it to the EXUP, but I'm sure that the Genesis tag originally and specifically referred to the new (in 1987) engine, and not just because any engine with 5 valves was a Genesis.

I told you I was biased.

Billy Balthorpe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:20 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

.[/quote]

The Genesis tag refers to the engine, but specifically was the marketing name for Yamaha's 5 valve head engines, which were used on the FZ750 FZX and FZR1000 Geneisis first, but the technology is also used on later EXUP based motors too, including the YZF-R1.

No bike has ever carried the Genesis tag without the 5 valve head. That's what it really refers to. Some bikes had EXUP and Genesis technology.[/quote]

So basically you are saying that because nothing else from the original Genesis engines were carried over to the EXUP equipped bikes, the Genesis tag was specifically referred to the 5 valve set up common to both bikes?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Wut Do? Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
I has FZR1000 frame Mr. Green

Worth quietly building it up or not?

With your common sense? No.

Genesis? EXUP? Do you know the difference?

The world's smallest violin player, just for you! The world's smallest violin player, just for you!

Billy Balthorpe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:30 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
[ people differentiate the early FZR1000's from the later EXUP equipped ones by referring to them as either "Genesis" or "EXUP". These were not official Yamaha model names.

God I wish they would, trying to find stuff for Pre EXUP bikes is a bloody nightmare because everyone puts Genesis in the advert. It wouldn't be too bad if some bits were interchangeable, but they're not.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is an '89 EXUP apparently Thumbs Up

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:27 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Wut Do? Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
For a mid to late 80's bike, the FZ750 was a game changer, over enginerrered very underrated.

I loved my FZ750. My first big bike and it went like a rocket. Really miss that bike and would buy another if I had the money / space / time etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:59 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So was mine. RWU forks and twin round headlights.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:13 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Wut Do? Reply with quote

Motorhate wrote:

I loved my FZ750. My first big bike and it went like a rocket. Really miss that bike and would buy another if I had the money / space / time etc.

I enjoyed mine too, when I had it. But years later, I had a go of a mate's, and didn't enjoy riding it at all. Since discovering the FZS1000 Fazer, I wouldn't go back to one. It has that same Yamaha 'feel', only better than the old FZ.

My FZR EXUP was the second incarnation in 1991. I think it was just different forks, different can and paint job.
Having just a frame seems like not enough to be bothering with to me? As Billy says, you can pick up a complete roadworthy bike for not too much if you fancy one.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

A very early one. Should have the hoover style pipes for the air intake at the front of the tank, I think.

No vacuum cleaner style hoses on the early FZR1000Rs

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Honda%20750/My%20bikes/20100611_2.jpg

This is my 1990 model 'R'.The RU had the wrong way up forks.With decent tyres and suspension that is kept properly serviced it does handle extremely well.Not as well as my R1,but the Ohlins shocks make a worthwhile update Thumbs Up Wink Thumbs Up

The best forum in the UK is one that I frequent

www.exup1000.co.uk

Always have a 'Plan B'

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers.

Seems they don't like the cut of my jib though.

Or rather, they won't even let me in. It's a bit like 'Barbara' from 'Pemps'. (Google it) Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 6 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1