Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike seal - the real deal?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fowlersrs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Bike seal - the real deal? Reply with quote

Right don't shoot the messenger, was in at my local bike place the other week to get an off-road tyre swapped out and was a demo going on when I arrived.

At first I though "oh another bullshit puncture product" but what I saw in the demo was impressive and the way it was presented made no wild claims..

If you Google it you will see there web page and info for yourself but I witnessed the guy stick a good 5-10mm thick bradl into a tyre, pull it out and it sealed itself.

The critical thing was it works with rotation of the tyre, normal nails and things resulted in hardly any air loss even in the tyre when pulled out.

They where very quick to point out nothing is 100% but if it prevents you having a blow out or a big moment at speed and gets you to the hard shoulder safely it could be a game changer?

Anyone think this could be worth having in your tyres?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like the stuff the Post Office (used to?) use for their vehicles. Puncture Safe?

If it is, it was a product we sold at one of the dealers I worked at. Tested to 150mph. It was a popular product, and we did have customers who always put it in their tyres (including one guy who regularly toured Europe on, a ZZR1400 I think it was). They all swore by it, and I keep meaning to try it myself, but never got around to it.

Stories of high speed punctures having no noticeable affect, able to continue to run the tyre to the end of it's normal life etc.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:36 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who're too lazy to Google: https://bikeseal.co.uk/demos/

Looks much the same as Stans No Tubes for push bikes which is awesome.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, does it work against stingers? Whistle Shhh! Gagged

Fowlersrs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
This sounds like the stuff the Post Office (used to?) use for their vehicles. Puncture Safe?

If it is, it was a product we sold at one of the dealers I worked at. Tested to 150mph. It was a popular product, and we did have customers who always put it in their tyres (including one guy who regularly toured Europe on, a ZZR1400 I think it was). They all swore by it, and I keep meaning to try it myself, but never got around to it.

Stories of high speed punctures having no noticeable affect, able to continue to run the tyre to the end of it's normal life etc.

That's the product, now been taken on by the blue light brigade too.

There not claiming miracles with it, but combine it with a stop n go plugger kit if necessary and it could just get you out the shit.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:51 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I could never give money to a company that films in portrait mode. Hand

Fowlersrs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Sorry, I could never give money to a company that films in portrait mode. Hand

Seal of approval right there. I'm seriously considering some this for an upcoming eurojolly.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Bike seal - the real deal? Reply with quote

Fowlersrs wrote:
...it could be a game changer?

I wouldn't really call it a game changer - it's been around for an age. I first saw that stuff on Tomorrow's World in the 80s (I can't find that clip, but they revisited it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZIRWXZh9_0 )
Elite Tyres (in Rainham) were pushing this stuff around twenty years ago (they used to do that same demo with a bradawl) - but yeah, it works.
(Although it _may_ mask a serious issue with the tyre that would otherwise have been fixed with a patch - or binned)
I use a variation of it (Slime) in my Brompton's tyres though, works a treat - I recall running over some glass and hearing a hiss, looking down at my tyre I saw a teeny jet of goo shoot out and within a few revolutions of the wheel it had sealed itself up.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to be called Ultraseal IIRC.

Tried it before, perversely if the hole is not big enough then you just get slow wet seepage.

I found it counterintuitive to have to make a puncture bigger then go for a fast ride so seal it up. That particular rear tyre lasted long enough until I crashed it. Embarassed

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:22 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to the guy in the vid at the Excel motorcycle show, it seems like a good product unlike Slime etc it doesn't corrode rims (according to the guy anyway). He mentioned there's no speed restrictions too if this fixes a puncture but I've never encountered a puncture another quick puncture fix to claim the same. Might create a mess for tyre fitters though

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:56 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
it seems like a good product unlike Slime etc it doesn't corrode rims (according to the guy anyway)

My brand of breakfast cereal is guaranteed to be 99.9% free of tramp spunk.

Why do other brands not make that claim? What are they hiding?

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:11 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
So, does it work against stingers? Whistle Shhh! Gagged

What do you think.... Given a stinger leaves a few hollow tube in your tyre...

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

£32 with delivery and enough to do 2 tyres. Stick it in there and it's gone. Buy another bike and it's another £32. Have 3 bikes like me...
EDIT- new tyres, add £32 to the cost.

Stop n Go mushroom plug kit £30.95 delivered. Simple, effective, Eurojolly tested and approved. Stick it under the seat of whatever bike I'm riding or have just bought. One off purchase good for 15 repairs.

I'm old enough to have seen this stuff in many previous incarnations, and I'm sceptical. Take a tyre for repair and they stick a mushroom plug in it. I've never known them fill it with slime, give it a spin and send you on your way.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:05 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the days of the 1500 Goldwing just about everyone put 'slime' in the rear tyre because it was such an absolute nightmare to remove the rear wheel on one of those.

I put it in 3 rear tyres on mine and never had a flat tyre, but then again I've only ever had 1 tubeless tyre puncture in my whole biking career. The other thing was then a lot of tyre fitters either wouldn't touch a tyre with the slime in it or charged a good wad extra. I don't know what todays fitters would do.

I think I'd go more with the mushroom repairs. We didn't have them back when I had that bike or I'd have used that rather than slime.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
evilzed wrote:
it seems like a good product unlike Slime etc it doesn't corrode rims (according to the guy anyway)

My brand of breakfast cereal is guaranteed to be 99.9% free of tramp spunk.

Why do other brands not make that claim? What are they hiding?

What's wrong with tramp spunk?
You're making a sticky Big Issue and cumming across as an elitist pig.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used it for years. The only thing I will say about it is if you do get a puncture you don't know about it till you check (we all do that every ride....right? Pff) so you could be razzing around with Screwfix's finest jammed in there good and proper.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off road, fit mousses. Sorted. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheInternet
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:33 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike has tubes with this sort of ectoplasm in, it's made a slight mess of one of the valves. It would be fine if I could remove the core of the valve, but it is not of that type. A minor irritation.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1