Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

council garages

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fazer Tom
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:14 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: council garages Reply with quote

Has anybody kept a bike in a council garage? one in question is about 5 minutes away from my house. How does it effect the insurance costs etc?

Wouldn't mind working on the bike there too but read its a big no no doing any kind of work there.

I'm guessing they wont have power so would have to rig up some kind of alarm system using a few hgv batterys.

Past: (1981 CG125) (1992 ZZR250 x2) (1976 KZ400) (1993 400 Superfour) (2002 Triumph TT600) (1998 Fazer) (2001 CCM 636) (2000 CCM 604) (2007 Kawasaki Z750) (2005 Husqvarna SM450R) Current: (1989 Bandit 400)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:46 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the first thing you will know about your bike going is when you get there one day to find the door forced. Thumbs Down

Also, I would expect insurance to be worse than outside your house, due to it not being at the location you live.

I had a garage in one of those council blocks in Weston-S-Mare when I lived there. Everyone knew what I kept in it and I knew what everyone else had. You can't keep it secret.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the vehicle kept in a garage of brick or concrete construction?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Motobecane X1 Mobylette and C50 cub were stolen from a council garage in Dagenham. It was half a mile
from my house so I was oblivious until I went there next and found the door bent. Mum and Dad rented it for doing
work on the car back in the days when they couldn't afford to pay mechanics and my Dad did the car maintenance.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mums council garage leaks like fuck

My uncle had a council garage round the corner that leaked so complained

They said we will not repair them and have since knocked them all down and built houses creating chaos with parking

Council garages are normally ahit
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GPC
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep mine in 1 and when I declared it on my insurance it was £5 less than in the front garden, In my block there are several with bikes in.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:38 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep both mine in a council garage for which I pay £11 a week for.

The previous one I had was double the price and leaked really badly. So much so that the chrome exhaust on my Vulcan started to rust in places from the constant dripping. It was also on a really angled hill which I stupidly let my bike fall over on one night. The garage floor was also on an angle which meant that the leaked water collected in one corner of the garage which made that area unusable for anything.
It was shit but better than leaving my bikes out in the open, exposed to the elements. I had it for about a year before I upped sticks and left the area (Buckhurst Hill) and I left a huge oil stain on the ground where I accidentally tipped over some used oil after an oil change.

The new one is a lot better. Easy access, 5mins from house, bone dry, level, and reasonably warm would you believe. No power or light in the place but that’s a given with council places and the door security could do with beefing up a bit.

Insurance-wise I only ever get asked if it’s kept in a brick-built garage (which this is) and is it locked. Nothing at all about it’s location in relation to your address. I never volunteer the fact that it’s about a 5min walk from home.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be aware up-and-over garage doors are pretty easy to get into even with extra locks just by ramming them.

When I flat-shared, we rented a garage en-bloc and I was careful to only store worthless shit in there. Including a fucked ZXR750..

Funnily enough no-one nicked it. Rolling Eyes

Mr. Green

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorhate wrote:

Insurance-wise I only ever get asked if it’s kept in a brick-built garage (which this is) and is it locked. Nothing at all about it’s location in relation to your address. I never volunteer the fact that it’s about a 5min walk from home.

Isn't that a risk as my insurance always asks (when filling out) the 'address the vehicle is kept at' in your case this is the garage, not your house.

andyscooter wrote:
Mums council garage leaks like fuck

My uncle had a council garage round the corner that leaked so complained

They said we will not repair them and have since knocked them all down and built houses creating chaos with parking

Council garages are normally ahit

the ones near me you rent the ground space and can assemble a 'structure' on top but can't demolish one if already there, so you go on the waiting list, one comes up, it's a rickety old wooden thing that's stood since 1946 and you have to make do / hope it falls down in a bit of wind.

weird

mattyfattyboo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:40 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on where in the country I guess. I had one with my dad for a while, perfectly safe, nice area. Houses with low fences and nosey people overlook it.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:59 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a council garage for about six months, used to leak then the door broke - they are usually shit.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:19 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorhate wrote:

Read your policy documents because they will be something about where the garage is in relation to your address.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 4 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1