Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha YZF R125 Struggling To Upshift?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Untitled1995 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Confusing). Unhide this post / all posts.

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 19:51 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing I dunno what's wrong but that's definitely not the coolant. Do not put coolant in the rear brake reservoir unless you want to have a bad day.

Untitled1995
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:01 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
Laughing Laughing I dunno what's wrong but that's definitely not the coolant. Do not put coolant in the rear brake reservoir unless you want to have a bad day.

Shittttt Embarassed is that the brake fluid reservoir?? i was actually going to nip out earlier to top it up with coolant but thought i would ask on here first!

Where the hecks the coolant? Surprised

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 20:24 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolant on R125 is located under the right boomerang fairing in an odd shaped translucent bottle thing.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Yamaha YZF R125 Struggling To Upshift? Reply with quote

Untitled1995 wrote:
Think i have found the mysterious red lining issue i was having this week.

I used to have a leather jacket with a mysterious red lining.

Untitled1995
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:43 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
Coolant on R125 is located under the right boomerang fairing in an odd shaped translucent bottle thing.

Thanks Smile does that mean unscrewing the panel? im a dumb fuck with bikes i have to admit! Laughing

Do you know if low coolant can cause the gear problems? i have done a few hundred miles without changing it and i ain't sure when it last got changed.

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 20:46 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea honestly. I'd say check oil, check clutch before worrying about coolant. Coolants supposed to last fucktonnes of miles. Worth checking it if you haven't though.

Untitled1995
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:09 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
I have no idea honestly. I'd say check oil, check clutch before worrying about coolant. Coolants supposed to last fucktonnes of miles. Worth checking it if you haven't though.

Appreciated Smile

Every so often i have heard a beeping noise when riding lasting 2-3 seconds from the bike. Not sure if this is linked to anything.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:50 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/V0yxB03.jpg

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcanes our chosen idiot this year

Fuck of f and wait your turn

But you will have to beat bodyfucktard
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:25 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Yamaha YZF R125 Struggling To Upshift? Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
I used to have a leather jacket with a mysterious red lining.

TT or Manx leathers, by any chance?
Untitled1995 wrote:
I kind of noticed today that it wasn't going up the gears and needed a hell of a kick up to get it into gear.

What's your shoe size?
Is the gear lever bent?
Have you adjusted it to get your boot (whatevr size t is) under the lever, when i the 'rest' possition AND be sure you move your toe back so that the lever can fully 'return' to the middle position and latc the ratchet after a shift ready to latch another?

The MOST likely issue is simple learner numptiness, and your boot is too big for the gap twixt peg and lever. then you are moving boot forwars to shift, and not withdrawg it to let lever self center. predicting another 'short shift', rushig the changes, in your exitement to paddl the gearbox and make the thing go fast. Making work for yourself making unnecessary shifts, denying yourself throttle repose, and 'soothness' n the process... just 'cos yo hav 6 gears dont mean you have to use ALL of them, ALL the time..... let alone be in top before you are doing 40...

1st off the line, 2nd in urban 20's, third every where else, until onto 40/50 open roads, where 4th will do most work, 5th probably only on 60NSL open roads or duelies, and 6th, if you ever pass a test and are masocistc/daft enough to brave padlocks in Autobahn bashers and baked bean budget super-cars who think that the 30 over the limit insta-ban means 99mph is an acceptable cruising speed on the m-way, then 6th, if you have a long enough stretch you might try using to eek out those last couple of mph at the top end in favorable conditions to 'max out' at probably the actual motorway limit... if you can dodge the audcochs and supra-pilots long enough to do it!

BUT, I wouldn't be quick to assume that any 'problem' you had was a mechanical fault with the bike, when you are still on L's and a learner, and the weak link is that huge hole in your learning, and its likely not the bike not doing something 'right', but it's rider.

Check your shoe size....

And read the effing user manual/buy the effing work-shop-manual, to 'check' stupid things like what holes take brake fluid. oil or coolant... it WAS a subject on CBT called 'Routine Maintenance' & 'Pre-Ride Checks'... you MAY remember, after 3 attempts at it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Untitled1995 wrote:
Meef wrote:

Thanks Smile does that mean unscrewing the panel? im a dumb fuck with bikes i have to admit! Laughing

Do you know if low coolant can cause the gear problems? i have done a few hundred miles without changing it and i ain't sure when it last got changed.

It's not going to be anything to do with the coolant.

However, it's worth checking and probably changing if you don't know how long it's been in there.

Yes, you'll need to remove the boomerang panel and possibly one or two more, I can't remember off hand but, it's the left side you want to be removing. The semi - translucent container you see is the coolant and it'll have minimum and maximum lines marked on it. You'll probably need a torch to see them though.

If you don't have the manual for the bike, it can be downloaded online. Seeing as you were about to put coolant in your rear brake reservoir, I'd strongly suggest you do this.

I'd also suggest getting a mechanic to take a look at the bike too.

EDIT: There you go: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/612268/Yamaha-Yzf-R125.html

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:40 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, kill yourself.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:03 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
OP, kill yourself.

I think he actually just might.

Albeit unintentionally.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:50 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking, are you closing the throttle when you change gear? You will get neutral if you don't shift properly from 1st to 2nd (it's half a click up). I'd buy the manual for your bike unless you want to be another Arcane Very Happy

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:36 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nostalgia time. I haven't broken this link out in a good couple of years!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

OP. Read. Absorb. Then make friends with a tame motorcycle mechanic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple answer is not to use the clutch, on throttle and accelerating,put pressure on gear pedal with toe, momentarily and partially close throttle an reopen, gears will change as the geearbox is momentarily unloaded. Easy. but it only works if you're riding like you mean it. Not so hard on a 125. Also 1st -> 2nd probably won't work without the clutch.

Also, oil (with some engine oil, use the blue cap off a biro if you don't have an oil can) the rose joints and gear pedal linkage.

Failing that, remember to come completely off the throttle before you pull the clutch in, get the clutch all the way in, and let it out smoothly once you have completed the shift. It really does help.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 32 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1