Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

starting bike with a hair dryer - rant

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:26 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: starting bike with a hair dryer - rant Reply with quote

so fed up, glorious day so thought i'd ride into work on the KTM Adventure. opened the garage and its 5deg...immediately think the worst, tried to start her, refused. hair dryer out and heater, warm the garage up for 30 mins and boom she starts

so who else started their bike with a hair dryer this morning Sad

Love KTM but fitting a shite starter motor and refusing to accept its not up to the job really pisses me off.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure it's not the battery?

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of an 'adventure' are you going to have on a bike that needs to be started with a damn hairdryer every time it's a bit cool! Laughing

For the record, my fragile Italian superbike started just fine Smile

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:48 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:

For the record, my fragile Italian superbike started just fine Smile

As did my 18yo jap crap. Very Happy

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:07 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

its an issue KTM are well aware of but choose to ignore..bikes a 2013 model i think they upgraded the starter on later models after realising they'd fitting a sub standard part.

£8000 bike which i cant use for 4 months of the year

Ready to race...but only if its warm outside

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:15 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So cost up an upgrade and invoice them.

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:33 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

replacement starter about £350 not including labour. even had a dealer say the starter isnt broken but a better upgraded one is available...basically admitting its a sub standard part fitted.

just sent a complaint to KTM, had enough now.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Indian toy did on the button

And hadn't been used all week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubyhorse2 wrote:
£8000 bike which i cant use for 4 months of the year

I just could not live with that, no matter how good a bike it is when eventually running. I'd either swallow the £350 parts cost and fit it myself or sell it (probably between June and September).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:13 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it not spinning fast enough, or not turning at all?

My Nazi Tractor sometimes hesitates when starting, just when hitting the first compression stroke. The electrics go a bit spazzy, first world problem.

I can ameliorate it by knocking it into 1st, rolling it forward and giving it a hard push against the compression, then back to neutral. It then tends to start up freely.

Worth trying?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has the same engine, so presumably starter, and starts just fine in all weathers Confused Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:51 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would temperature have a significant effect on your starter motors ability to turn your engine over?

Yes, if it is EPIC cold (like double minus figures), the oil will tend to thicken to treacle and make it harder to turn over. But not at temperatures we're getting in March in the UK while using a good multigrade oil. Definately not at 5 degrees celcius.

So. On the assumption what you're on about is that the engine wont spin over in cool conditions, you don't have enough cranking amps from the battery. The starter motor will produce the same power and torque regardless of temperature (within reason) but only if it has enough amps coming from the battery. Low cranking amps may be because the battery is fucked, badly connected, not big enough or not being charged properly. I'd take it to someone with a battery load tester to see if it's up to spec. and if it's not, replace it (take the battery to a battery factors rather than a KTM dealer).

If what you mean is the engine will turn over but the bike will only start in warm conditions, that's a cold starting issue and is to do with fuelling. In a modern bike probably a sensor issue or a problem with the FI control unit. Admittedly cold starting can be an issue with big singles but 5 degrees is not what I'd consider cold.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:58 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second stink; it's ore likely they have fitted a more marginal battery, than a more marginal starter.
Starter may still be marginal, but, if warming the garage up a few degrees makes that much difference, its most likely increasing the rate of reaction in the battery electrolyte and getting a couple of extra cranking amps from it, than lowerig the resistance of the pound of copper wire in the starter windings to drop the current draw, or thinning the oil and grease enough to make much odds.

But it is an KTM......

I wouldn't assume just because the factory fitted an 'alternative' starter at some point that it was necessarily an 'upgrade'. Switch would more likely t have been made for cost-cutting as anything. I WOULD take pretty good guess that the battery was under-sized to fit in space left by the stylists, and or loose a few grams off the dry-weight, and or, more likely and, for cost cutting! Meanwhile if cold cranking was an issue, it would be perverse to fit a lower powered starter... solution would be a more powerful one, that would beg a beefier battery

If starter will spin engine up... I wold
1/ Try use it more! Keep battery better topped up & parts from gumming
2/ Stick battery on charge for ten minutes before trying to start (Rather than a hair-dryer/heater!)
3/ Check battery terminals, starter cables, relay and earths.
4/ Check battery electrolyte levels / drop test charge capacity
5/ Replace battery.... Seven-Fifty's has just managed 3-years, which is probably a record; most are knackered after about 18months!
6/ If I cant use it more, & a ten minute charge isn't enough, with new battery and clean contacts.... MIGHT capitulate to the 'occasional biker' recourse of a trickle-charger/optimizer.

But if THIS is all I had to grumble about from a Viennese Wurlitzer? I think I'd probably just count my blessings!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:43 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
my bike started cold at a push after 3 weeks of solid abuse Laughing

Was that when it didn't have any oil in?
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 03:27 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:

Curiously, for all I deride chinky bikes, Snowie's old 125 cruiserette, left outside unused, untouched for two months over the Christmas period 'stunned', starting 1st time on the button... making me wonder why I'd bothered flaking out the extension leads and digging out the charger.

Her Guzzi's a bit curious too.... A longitudinal V-Twin, the engine bolts to the gearbox car style, with a car style clutch in the middle, and a car type shaft drive to the back axle; heritage of it's design back in the mid 70's when motorbike e-starts were less common and unreliable, they used a small car starter motor and battery... seriously, the battery is the same size as they fitted to old Fiat 500's and stuff; the battery compartment is HUGE, and only about 2/3 filled by modern 'equivalent' of same Ah rating... which is still pretty big!

Given the reputation of Italian electrics, especially of late era 1990's 'plastic' Italian electrics, its bizarre, that the thing will just keep cranking and cranking and cranking... and f it doesn't start odds is it'll be down to something stuck in the Del-Awful carbs!

Given the rest of the electrics work on the weejah principle... they all work... but usually whenever they want to, rather than when you prod a button, the lethargic dependability of the self starter, is just one of the idiosyncrasies of the marque I suppose!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:32 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubyhorse2 wrote:

Ready to race...but only if its warm outside

Race what, Borg on his tractor? He might need a 500 millisecond head start mind Wink

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:55 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubyhorse2 wrote:
replacement starter about £350 not including labour. even had a dealer say the starter isnt broken but a better upgraded one is available...basically admitting its a sub standard part fitted.

just sent a complaint to KTM, had enough now.

Hmm, manufacturers upgrade or supercede parts all of the time. Doesn't mean the old ones are sub standard. Good luck with your complaint, but I reckon you're on a hiding to nothing.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:

Did you start it with a drill?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:46 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
Arcane1729 wrote:

Did you start it with a drill?

Don't be silly.....

He used a....

Oh.....

Yeah...

He lost that in the belly pan, didn't he?

Yeah... maybe not so silly.

(especially as I seem to recall some-one not too far behind this keyboard using a hack & wrecker to start No4-son's mini-moto as a regular expedience to inevitable snapped starter cord!

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: starting bike with a hair dryer - rant Reply with quote

rubyhorse2 wrote:
hair dryer out and heater, warm the garage up for 30 mins

You're actually doing that to start the bike? What do you when it's time to go home on a cold day??

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:31 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: starting bike with a hair dryer - rant Reply with quote

rubyhorse2 wrote:
...warm the garage up for 30 mins and boom she starts...

so who else started their bike with a hair dryer this morning Sad

Does the starter spin the crank? If so, then buy some ether/starter spray. Spray it into the intake (the airbox is fine). If that won't help starting your engine, then spray the ether on a rag and have some 1800's fun instead of riding. Thumbs Up

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 02:24 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: starting bike with a hair dryer - rant Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Does the starter spin the crank? If so, then buy some ether/starter spray. Spray it into the intake (the airbox is fine). If that won't help starting your engine, then spray the ether on a rag and have some 1800's fun instead of riding. Thumbs Up

EZ-Start /Etha Dependency.... have you heard of it?

Active ingredient in easy-start type products is ethyl alcohol, I believe, it 'works' as a starting agent as it has a higher volatility / flammability than petrol, ie it catches fire easy....

Principle is that a squirt of ether, gives extra enrichment... like using the choke... so commonly advised you DON'T actually use choke.. which is difficult on a fuel injected engine that doesn't have one, it has a cold start circuit, which ups the fuel map to bung in extra fuel if temp sensor reckons it's cold.....

Stuff 'works'.... but.. it's not 'solving' the problem. Engine aught start as designed on the starter, with choke if necessary, not a can of squirty stuff. So it's not 'solving' the problem... it's just patching over it.

Meanwhile, if you don't fix the problem, stopping engine start as it should, then tendency is to use EZ start on ever more regular basis, and dependency creeps in, to point that they will often not start without it.

Cause is that the alcohol washes lube off the cylinder walls, when cylinder most needs all it can get, when cold, on start-up, so leads to accelerated bore and ring wear. Worse, 'thinning' oil, it makes what was there volatile, to help that get burned too, leading to bore glazing... compound result is engine starts to loose compression as well as wear faster, and as it does so becomes increasingly difficult to start, begging more EZ-Start, more regularly, even when its not so cold.

Horrible, horrible 'stuff'... must admit it DOES smell nice.... BUT it really isn't good for engines... may get you out the cacky for a week whilst waiting for bits to turn up to fix the problem properly, but, even that's not really ideal, and just having the stuff around, begs notion you can 'put off' the fix, and just keep using the squirty can to get it going.....

It is NOT something I 'recommend' any-one resort to, really.... stuff has tendency to do more harm than good,

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:53 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even my shitty lexmoto starts up in subzero temps :p

Bit stupid that a bike that costs as much as that one does cant manage to start up... Sure maybe bikes need to warm up after starting cold for a little.... but not actually start at all cold... Not good.

Oh and yeah. Yesterday i picked up my bike to take down where I was staying... And it started first time... Sat in the shed for nearly 2 months... and started Very Happy WOOoooo...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 26 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2