Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorcycle intercom with thin speakers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Motorcycle intercom with thin speakers Reply with quote

My Arai is a close fit and I want an intercom so which one has the thinest speakers?

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:28 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exact Arai model?
What budget?

Could try this aldi one:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/maxtek-motorbike-bluetooth-headset/p/074815116411100

I've got the Sena 10u, looking at the pics on sena's site the speakers look thin.

https://www.sena.com/product/10u/

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:03 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the HM100 (Full face) HM200 (open face) headset kits.
Of the dedicated headsets, they are much the generic ones, and they come in different boxes with different plugs o the end for different radio's/intercoms.
The ear-pieces are pretty slim, BUT, they are made thicker by the padding and Velcro attachment tabs which, I have never really managed to make work properly for me hung on outside of helmet lining.

So, I have always spent a bit of time, permanently fitting them, where possible in the lining, and have, to get best position and fit, 'relieved' a bit of polystyrene liner around mounting place....

Best position for sound and fit isn't always over the ears, but often just below and infront, in the jaw-joint area, where foam padding is most marginal anyway.

Of whats on offer, systems are much of a much, and headsets on expensive radios'intercoms may not be much if any better for fit than on cheaper; BUT paying attention to fitting will usually make a lot more difference.

Those dedicated headsets are about £20 a piece, which is as much as a PMR at the cheap end; but they do work well.

However I chopped up an old Oxford Hobby-box bike mike years ago, and the hard wired headsets, fitted to the lids snugly and terminated with a 3.5mm phono plug, to plug into matching socket on the coily wire from the hobby box, which were just as comfy and 'useful'.

What has NEVER worked for me is propriety audio ear-buds, or mobile phone headsets; I got a 'hands free' set with some PMR's year ago that were actually painful to try wearing under a hat...

So, depends how much you want to spend really; whether you want wired or hands free, whether you want rider-pillion and or bike to bike, and whether you want to mess hard-wiring the hat, etc etc etc.

BUT, a dedicated headset and time to hard-wire, does make a big difference to comfort and how much you have to faff to take hat on and off... ad for comfort that s probably more important than the intercom they may come with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly a silly question but how are these with ear plugs?
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 21:40 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a packtalk. You can plug in your own speakers. Buy some flat ones off amazon. I mean the ones that come with it are decent enough but they're not fully flat. Perfect if your helmet has cutouts for the earphones to sit in.

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:47 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

if you use the noise cancelling ear plugs the intercoms work very well as the plugs cancel out the wind noise but allows the music or conversation to be heard clearer

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 21:49 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave V4 wrote:
Itchy wrote:

if you use the noise cancelling ear plugs the intercoms work very well as the plugs cancel out the wind noise but allows the music or conversation to be heard clearer

Can vouch for this, I have custom moulded earplugs that cut out wind noise completely, but I can hear intercom perfectly fine even when wearing a balaclava.

I'd honestly go for the packtalk over older scala riders becuase of DMC mode. Bluetooth pairing with all my mates who have Q3s is a fucking nightmare, but this new DMC mode shit is the actual god of intercom.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scala rider has thin speakers, but mount hangs of bottom of helmet and catches on large external armour shoulder things. I have the q1, it works ok and the battery life is good, but I don't use it for headset-to-headset intercom stuffs

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave V4 wrote:
Itchy wrote:

Mine is fine even with normal foam jobbies (Moldex Spark), I would actually say it's clearer. The plugs seem to reduce ambient/background noise but manage to transfer the speaker sounds right into your ear.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:19 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't sperge data on this without building a model head, but my ears that are an integral part of a recording studio tell me that my scala q1 sounds closer to the studio reference with moldex sparkplugs in (and actually quite good for such small and thin drivers) than it does without (whereby it sounds a tinny mess. I'm going to go out on a limb and say these things are designed for use with earplugs.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle intercom with thin speakers Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
My Arai is a close fit and I want an intercom so which one has the thinest speakers?

So does anyone have an answer to the original question?

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:33 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of the scala and an interphone that I have used I would say that the speakers were pretty much the same

Recluso
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:29 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle intercom with thin speakers Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
sickpup wrote:

So does anyone have an answer to the original question?

Did you see the ones Fret and I had? Interphone I think they are. (https://www.interphone.com/product-detail/-/journal_content/56_INSTANCE_Xm4sGMuQWWN1/10244/20481). I wouldn't have said the speakers were particularly bulky but our Shoei helmets had recesses for them.

If you're not in a mega hurry for them, you can have a look when we come to Londinium in May.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 24 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1