Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

jimbothe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 22 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 7/11 Slingy and did it shift Shocked

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/jgillard/gixxerright-1.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Welshd1k
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 22 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slacker24seven wrote:
Ah but Welsh, surely what you need to know is how good it is at cutting corners, riding straight over chicanes and it's off road ability?

haha you bastard that was SCARY AS f000k
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 5 years, 125 days between these two posts...

Gsxr1100l
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:52 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Gixers Reply with quote

I've owned many bikes in my time, from Ducati F1 750 extensive engine work, stock cbr954 fireblade (commuter) and a a Gsxr1100 L slingshot ( extensive work done). That being said I've ridden many other bikes r1's, Ducati 848, r6's etc all for on road use. The contentious issue here is rider input and ability.
The newer bikes are so boring with all the latest gadgetry to help the rider ride faster into corners, out of corners, lean angle, traction control just to name a few. I've smoked more new bikes over a mountain than I care to mention and I'm 45 years old. My gsxr1100 L has had major engine work 1201cc, head, crank, carbs, ohlins etc to name a few. It's a sheer pleasure to ride although one twist of that throttle and see ya later to nearly all wanting to try and keep up. The thing is absolutely insane, with as little as 165 rwhp and 225kg it's no easy feat to throw it around like a new bike but in saying that it takes rider input to keep the front wheel down, back wheel in traction and slides that can only be deemed as hell raising. That is what new sports bike lack, everybodies fast on a new bike with all the rider assists to make them feel they can ride. Hop on mine and it's all up to you and that's pure adrenalin and rider skill. Compare a gp500 to a Moto GP bike, sure the new ones are faster but how many can ride it on the limit without all the gadgetry. That's why old school gsxr1100's are a real mans bike, no bullshit and straight up white knuckle balls on the line machines. It takes a real rider to ride them fast not pussies that think they can ride with boring gadgetry.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Re: Gixers Reply with quote

Gsxr1100l wrote:
I've owned many bikes in my time, from Ducati F1 750 extensive engine work, stock cbr954 fireblade (commuter) and a a Gsxr1100 L slingshot ( extensive work done). That being said I've ridden many other bikes r1's, Ducati 848, r6's etc all for on road use. The contentious issue here is rider input and ability.
The newer bikes are so boring with all the latest gadgetry to help the rider ride faster into corners, out of corners, lean angle, traction control just to name a few. I've smoked more new bikes over a mountain than I care to mention and I'm 45 years old. My gsxr1100 L has had major engine work 1201cc, head, crank, carbs, ohlins etc to name a few. It's a sheer pleasure to ride although one twist of that throttle and see ya later to nearly all wanting to try and keep up. The thing is absolutely insane, with as little as 165 rwhp and 225kg it's no easy feat to throw it around like a new bike but in saying that it takes rider input to keep the front wheel down, back wheel in traction and slides that can only be deemed as hell raising. That is what new sports bike lack, everybodies fast on a new bike with all the rider assists to make them feel they can ride. Hop on mine and it's all up to you and that's pure adrenalin and rider skill. Compare a gp500 to a Moto GP bike, sure the new ones are faster but how many can ride it on the limit without all the gadgetry. That's why old school gsxr1100's are a real mans bike, no bullshit and straight up white knuckle balls on the line machines. It takes a real rider to ride them fast not pussies that think they can ride with boring gadgetry.

Fuck yeah !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine identifies me as the strong, straight CIS white male I am. Need to sort the jetting out though, lean as fuck off idle since I rebuilt the carbs...

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:11 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Mine identifies me as the strong, straight CIS white male I am.

Is that why I no longer own one?

All the best

Katy

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
GT200Fan79 wrote:
Mine identifies me as the strong, straight CIS white male I am.

Is that why I no longer own one?

All the best

Katy

Touche

Laughing

SBK1000
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 05:37 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a new owner of a 1989 GSXR1100K. I purchased the bike as a non-running project.

I am actually going to build a Cafe style fighter... I am hoping to remove a lot of dead weight. I am reducing the weight to a bare frame, engine and fuel tank. The bike it's getting a few newer bits... Mostly race parts off a 2008 GSXR1000.

https://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k486/HerpHobbiest/Cafe%20Fighter/17546895_10203144442767595_4758600139744129229_o_zps8bz1mcpn.jpg

Also getting a 2008 GSXR 1000 swing arm (all linkage, rear brakes, etc.), monoblock front calipers, Ferodo ZRAC brake pads, a race shock, modern rear sets, a Cafe Tail section...

https://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k486/HerpHobbiest/Cafe%20Fighter/17362370_10212262915825064_2522491186980808606_n_zps88kq2ny0.jpg

I am not too worried about power, but I do want the bike to run it's best...

Thank you GSXR1100L for your description of what it's like to ride the GSXR1100... I can not wait to ride it!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! So original! I bet you'll put wanker filters and an obnoxious 4-1 on it as well Rolling Eyes

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBK1000 wrote:
I am actually going to build a Cafe style fighter...

And it was going so well right up until I read that bit Rolling Eyes

These are becoming collectable now, a future classic. Galls me to see people ruining bikes like this Thumbs Down

SBK1000
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:28 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
SBK1000 wrote:
I am actually going to build a Cafe style fighter...

And it was going so well right up until I read that bit Rolling Eyes

These are becoming collectable now, a future classic. Galls me to see people ruining bikes like this Thumbs Down

I am sure there are some mint condition stock GSXR1100 in collectors garages or museums...

I did not think these were collectible bikes, as you find them just about anywhere in craigslist for $250.00 to $500.00. Sure, there are those who ask $3,000.00 but probably have sentimental value or something.

I paid $300.00 for mine. I also got the fairings, and 3 boxes of spare parts.

https://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k486/HerpHobbiest/Cafe%20Fighter/20170314_143226_zps0aib6j2x.jpg

https://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k486/HerpHobbiest/Cafe%20Fighter/20170314_143103_zpstrninv0n.jpg

I do not think these old bikes were all that pretty in stock form... They are heavy and bulky. However, I do think they have potential to look awesome... This one is mostly a stock bike, blacked out, naked, with a Cafe tail. I think it looks aggressive, and much more powerful than say a CB750...

https://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k486/HerpHobbiest/Cafe%20Fighter/1992-gsxr-1100-711-cafe-racer-750-street-fighter-tracker-bobber-bmw-ducati-3_zpsozqgpood.jpghttps://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k486/HerpHobbiest/Cafe%20Fighter/1992-gsxr-1100-711-cafe-racer-750-street-fighter-tracker-bobber-bmw-ducati-1_zpsyhldhj6x.jpg

I think I can build something much nicer. Something that runs strong, handles great and gets to see hard use on the streets and probably some track days.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand this revival of the cafe racer idea, but on more modern bikes. It just doesn't suit them in my view. "Cafe racer" belongs to old Brit iron. Street fighter (a term asking for ridicule), is nevertheless more the one that springs to mind when stripping a once-faired sports bike to a more minimalist look. Most in this category seem to be cheap, after-a-stack dog's dinners, although once in a while someone puts some thought and expenditure in to produce something that doesn't look half bad. But imo, if it was designed as a sports bike with full plastics, then usually it looks better that way.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

SBK1000
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:42 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I don't understand this revival of the cafe racer idea, but on more modern bikes. It just doesn't suit them in my view. "Cafe racer" belongs to old Brit iron. Street fighter (a term asking for ridicule), is nevertheless more the one that springs to mind when stripping a once-faired sports bike to a more minimalist look. Most in this category seem to be cheap, after-a-stack dog's dinners, although once in a while someone puts some thought and expenditure in to produce something that doesn't look half bad. But imo, if it was designed as a sports bike with full plastics, then usually it looks better that way.

I think the idea of the revival of Cafe Racers it's to modify and personalize a cheap old bike, to make it your own... There is a strong appeal to make your own, unique motorcycle design.

Originally, I wanted an older bike than the GSXR1100... But I wanted more engine performance than most older bikes have to offer.

In my opinion, Streetfighters are like the modern version of Cafe Racers. Modified bikes with performance upgrades using a minimalist approach to getting that urban look... The gas mask headlights and spikes seem to be more about punk rock that streetfighter look... I do not see a crashed sportbike as a Streetfighter. To me, that is just a Rat Bike, not a Streetfighter

Generally speaking, there are not many options to radically change the looks of faired sportbikes. Like all 2005-06 GSXR1000 look the same. You could paint them, but they are basically identical. Fairings make it difficult to modify and personalize the bikes. Naked is an easier route.

Back to the GSXR1100, I hope mine turns out as wicked as it once was. I know it's not going to be like my 2007 GSXR1000 Streetfighter. But I think it will be a blast!!!

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBK1000 wrote:
I think the idea of the revival of Cafe Racers it's to modify and personalize a cheap old bike, to make it your own...

That's not what a Cafe Racer was though. I was something that started here, with people modifying old Brit bikes like Norton and Triumph for speed and handling. Often stripped down bikes with dropped bars, maybe rearsets and a seat hump. The 'Ton Up' boys would then race between Cafes like the Ace on the North Circular.

It's a term that should only really be applied to bikes of that era. What you are building can only be described as a street fighter.

Billy Balthorpe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:15 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt really want to get into this but the more I read the more I knew I had to reply.

A Streetfighter used to be a thing, it was something you did when you crashed your late 80's faired sportsbike and couldn't afford the plastics to fix it. It has since become a "Style". People are converting their uncrashed bikes to Streetfighter style because they like the look, they also can spend a lot of dosh on them, changing suspension, wheels, etc. These people usually then deride other streetfighters (usually ones based on the original format because the owner is skint) saying that I cant be a Streetfighter because they haven't done enough work/spent enough money on them. But the truth is, they are all either Streetfighters or Streetfighter Style.

A Café racer used to be a thing, it was something you did to get more performance and handling out of your old Brit Iron. Clip-ons, rear sets, swept exhausts, junking all surplus weight, different Frame/engine combo's, etc. It is now a "Style". People are trying to make more modern machinery look like the old Café Racers, a good idea, totally reliable Jap mechanicals with a '60s look. But there is the key term, "with a '60s look", a style, not an original, a new bike with an old style.

In summary,

Streetfighter - A bike that has been crashed and put back on the road as cheaply as possible.

Streetfighter Style - A bike that has usually not been crashed (but could have been, but who wants to spend upwards of £5K on a cat C) but has had lots of cash and hard work thrown at it to make it look like a Streetfighter only better.

Café Racer - Old Brit iron with weight removed and minimalist styling, clip ons, bum stop, changed frame/engines etc.

Café Racer Style - A newer bike made to look like the classic version.

Just to be impartial, I love them all and have no axe to grind here, id love to say I would own any of them, but a leaky old BSA A10 with bodged rear sets etc (which is all the money I would be able to justify spending) does not really appeal.

Right, i'm off to hide behind the sofa.

SBK1000
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:01 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
SBK1000 wrote:
I think the idea of the revival of Cafe Racers it's to modify and personalize a cheap old bike, to make it your own...

That's not what a Cafe Racer was though. I was something that started here, with people modifying old Brit bikes like Norton and Triumph for speed and handling. Often stripped down bikes with dropped bars, maybe rearsets and a seat hump. The 'Ton Up' boys would then race between Cafes like the Ace on the North Circular.

It's a term that should only really be applied to bikes of that era. What you are building can only be described as a street fighter.

I agree that is what the Classic Cafe Racers used to be at that time. Streetbikes made to be like race bikes of the era...

That is why I called my build a Cafe Fighter. I know it's not a Vintage or Classic Cafe Racer...

Today, the idea of a Cafe Racer is a lot more fluid... People are building their own versions of Cafe Racers out of whatever bike they happen to own... I have seen people attempt to make Cafe out of modern cruisers like Yamaha Viragos and even Honda Enduro bikes... Some are just dumb.

Billy Balthorpe wrote:
In summary,

Streetfighter - A bike that has been crashed and put back on the road as cheaply as possible.

Streetfighter Style - A bike that has usually not been crashed (but could have been, but who wants to spend upwards of £5K on a cat C) but has had lots of cash and hard work thrown at it to make it look like a Streetfighter only better.

Café Racer - Old Brit iron with weight removed and minimalist styling, clip ons, bum stop, changed frame/engines etc.

Café Racer Style - A newer bike made to look like the classic version.

Billy Balthorpe's got it...

I would just add that a "Streetfighter - A bike that has been crashed and put back on the road as cheaply as possible." Is also known as a RAT BIKE.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 24 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2