Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Will changing my air filter to a new style affect the bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

JSUS
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:00 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Will changing my air filter to a new style affect the bike? Reply with quote

Hi

I would like to change the standard air filter on my 1998 Suzuki Bandit GSF600. I'm looking at 4 pod/cone style air filters which would attach individually one to each carb, or possibly 2 oval style air filters each accommodating 2 carbs.

Basically the shape/design/function of the air filter would change dramatically and I am wondering how this will affect the running of the bike?

Cheers Thumbs Up

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing to any kind of free-flowing filter will almost certainly make your bike run leaner. In that case you may need to re-jet the carbs in order to correct the mixture.

You may be able to guess the correct jets, but in my experience (with cars) the only way to get it right is on a rolling road.

Last edited by Evil Hans on 00:35 - 29 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:07 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. If you go over to pod filters and eliminate the airbox, it'll run like a pig. The airbox plays an important part in helping the engine make power and run smoothly. That odd internal shape and strangely placed plates and baffles aren't just for strength and packaging, they control how the air moves around. Clever engineering involved sound waves and harmonics is involved, and has been since the 80s.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:03 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Bandit airbox is not a great design, but you will need to spend a fair bit of time setting it up if you switch to pid filters.

All the best

Katy

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetted correctly it'll still run worse and make less power than stock.

Fazer Tom
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 03:42 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

600's run like shit with pods. Compared to std of course.

Past: (1981 CG125) (1992 ZZR250 x2) (1976 KZ400) (1993 400 Superfour) (2002 Triumph TT600) (1998 Fazer) (2001 CCM 636) (2000 CCM 604) (2007 Kawasaki Z750) (2005 Husqvarna SM450R) Current: (1989 Bandit 400)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give you a clue, Dynojet only produce a Stage 1 kit for the 600 Bandit. That is for a standard airbox with a K&N and a full exhaust system.

They don't list a Stage 2 or 3 (for pod filters) because the standard airbox with a free flowing filter is enough.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:06 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will absolutely transform the bike, you'll get far more miles per gallon, a huge torque and top speed increase, and any female you ride past will rip off her clothes for you. What are you waiting for, do it!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

You asked the same question an hour earlier on banditforum, I assume you didn't like the answer you got:

Quote:
If you remove the air box and go for pod or single filters, your Mk1 600 will run like a bag of poo and you'll have nothing but problems trying to get it run right

Just because you ask the question on a different forum, it doesn't change the answer.

My guess is you are hoping that if you ask enough people, someone is going to tell you everything is going to be fine? If so, see above.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:18 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pods = fail

Airbox = good.

I guess it's possible an oil boiler GSXR750 air box might be better... maybe... but you might need different carbs, and modify the tank to accommodate the air box etc.

My advice is don't bother. If you don't follow this advice, then don't come crying to us when your bike runs like a pig.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JSUS
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:29 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, some good advice on here so thanks for that.

I guessed it wouldn't be as simple as i'd hoped or else why would they have designed such a huge airbox in the first place!

Its a shame as I see a lot of bikes with a pod filter on the carbs and it's a simple but sleek look!

JSUS
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:42 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pudder wrote:
It will absolutely transform the bike, you'll get far more miles per gallon, a huge torque and top speed increase, and any female you ride past will rip off her clothes for you. What are you waiting for, do it!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

You asked the same question an hour earlier on banditforum, I assume you didn't like the answer you got:

Quote:
If you remove the air box and go for pod or single filters, your Mk1 600 will run like a bag of poo and you'll have nothing but problems trying to get it run right

Just because you ask the question on a different forum, it doesn't change the answer.

My guess is you are hoping that if you ask enough people, someone is going to tell you everything is going to be fine? If so, see above.

I asked the question on both the bandit forum and BCF in the hope that the more people I reach, the more useful information I would receive. For the most part this has been true.

Some of the replies however, turned out to be sarcastic and patronising (see above quote). But you gotta take the good with the bad i suppose Wink

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:45 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll run, but don't expect it to run as well unless you put a fair bit more work into it.

Expect harder starting, and hesitation when opening the throttle as it gulps in more air than it's meant to.

It's fun to muck around with pod filters, but every time I've gone back to the stock airbox, the bike has run better.

</Buzz Killington>

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:51 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It'll run, but don't expect it to run as well unless you put a fair bit more work into it.

Expect harder starting, and hesitation when opening the throttle as it gulps in more air than it's meant to.

It's fun to muck around with pod filters, but every time I've gone back to the stock airbox, the bike has run better.

</Buzz Killington>

So you say manufactures, after spending quite a lot of time and money, know what they are doing, when they fabricate engines with airboxes and do the tune up?
Well how about that... Thinking

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:16 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

So you say manufactures, after spending quite a lot of time and money, know what they are doing, when they fabricate engines with airboxes and do the tune up?

Careful, OP doesn't like responses that are...
OP wrote:
sarcastic and patronising

Mr. Green

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:24 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pudder wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

Careful, OP doesn't like responses that are...
OP wrote:
sarcastic and patronising

Mr. Green

I'm not saying there isn't place for pod filters or even open intake, but if you/OP want/s a usable roadworthy motorcycle, then it's not the best way to go.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:38 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

I'm not saying there isn't place for pod filters or even open intake, but if you/OP want/s a usable roadworthy motorcycle, then it's not the best way to go.

Completely agree, just ribbing OP a bit.
As I advised on a different forum, if he wants to do it, its best to factor a dyno run into his budget.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run pod filters. Pod filters work better on lower power motors or biggish motors with relatively small carbs, like GSX1100s and the like.

Positives:
Easy access to the carbs/cables etc
Sound great

Negatives:
Get wet and the bike runs like shit
The bike will be more sensitive to changes in temperature. Set it up in summer and it will not run right in winter and so on
You generally lose a bit of power low down in the best case and you might lose quite a bit up top depending on the motor and carbs. It can also be peaky and lumpy.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 23 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1