Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CAR, random battery drain

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 20:28 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: CAR, random battery drain Reply with quote

Any suggestions?

Charging is fine battery is nearly new. Every now and then the car is Dead I can't even unlock the doors.

At idle i read 14.25v

I have measured the drain off of the battery with everything off and it is 0.01-0.02A as far as I'm aware that is normal.

Case in point I last drove it Sunday Week no probs. I tried to start it Saturday and it was dead Battery showing 3v. I can't have left the lights on as they are automatic.

This has happened a few times now I can't work it out. Any ideas? It's a 2006 Fiesta.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: CAR, random battery drain Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

This has happened a few times now I can't work it out. Any ideas? It's a 2006 Fiesta.

There is a light in the boot, the switch corrodes and they stay on now and again. Take the bulb out and see what happens.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: CAR, random battery drain Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
chris-red wrote:

There is a light in the boot, the switch corrodes and they stay on now and again. Take the bulb out and see what happens.

That would be the old mk4/5 with the contacts on the boot lip, the 2006 mk6 would have a ball bearing tilt switch somewhere in the bootlid, these can play up though but usually by not working as opposed to staying on.

chris-red

PostPosted: 20:58 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll leave the back seats down so I can keep an eye on it. Thumbs Up cheers good idea.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A boot light should last ages with a good battery, when it happens again feel the starter motor and the alternator for heat, also at 3 volts ????????? disconnect the battery and it should regenerate to 12 volts.
If not then the battery is made in China/Taiwan.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I'll leave the back seats down so I can keep an eye on it. Thumbs Up cheers good idea.

OR, remove the light bulb. Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:21 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It is killing the battery in 6 days (Sunday to Saturday) so not a massive power drain required. A 5W 12V bulb is pulling a bit under half an amp. An alarm on a car of ours pulled 0.7 amp and would kill the (fairly large) battery in 4 days.

All the best

Katy

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is faulty which is a live circuit when ignition is off, hazard light switch comes to mind.
With patience you could test across each fuse holder provided it was dong it at the time
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:00 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Something is faulty which is a live circuit when ignition is off, hazard light switch comes to mind.
With patience you could test across each fuse holder provided it was dong it at the time

That was my next step, I have ordered a set of probes for my meter that plug into a fuse.

However I can't detect anything leaking from the battery so it must be intermittent.

I'm thinking about calling an auto electrician in but I can't see that they would do anything that I haven't.

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:02 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
chris-red wrote:

OR, remove the light bulb. Thumbs Up

It won't tell me anything. It sporadically drains. If I leave the seats down and check every time I walk past I can see if it is ever on.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:40 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presuming it's a fairly low draw, measure the current from the positive terminal with everything off.

This won't tell you where it is, but may give some pointers.

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:54 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Presuming it's a fairly low draw, measure the current from the positive terminal with everything off.

This won't tell you where it is, but may give some pointers.

I measured from the negative terminal I read somewhere ages ago this was better for some reason.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats the battery voltage when it is ok, engine not running?
then test again with the engine running but rev the engine, make sure its not over charging at any point.

chris-red

PostPosted: 15:44 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
whats the battery voltage when it is ok, engine not running?
then test again with the engine running but rev the engine, make sure its not over charging at any point.

I did test after I ran it, but it was still high from being charged 13.?v after I'll test tonight.

ZebraDriver
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:48 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a duff battery. I've had a couple that suddenly "disconnect" themselves internally and show all the signs of a flat battery then an hour later they are ok again. Driving along the road the same thing can happen and suddenly the lights are super bright and the blower will speed up.

ZD

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^
What they said, I had a similar issue with my car battery last year, got to the point where I had to replace it. Sometimes it would last weeks, others it would last hours !!

Just because the battery is new, doesn't mean it's not faulty, on the plus side, if it is a new battery, you should get a replacement under warranty

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:22 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check all the earth straps. Had this problem on an old Toyota Carina many years back. If it's an ongoing, intermittent problem and the car is left standing for several days, disconnect the negative - at least you'll know the battery isn't being drained while it's standing Laughing

uberkron
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:12 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A competent auto sparky will connect a scope and see when a drain occurs as well as how much.
We tend to find them fairly quickly.
If it's a big pain pay somebody. If it is not too inconvenient, welcome to chasing intermittent faults.

chris-red

PostPosted: 23:16 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
^^^
What they said, I had a similar issue with my car battery last year, got to the point where I had to replace it. Sometimes it would last weeks, others it would last hours !!

Just because the battery is new, doesn't mean it's not faulty, on the plus side, if it is a new battery, you should get a replacement under warranty

It's done it with 3 different batteries so I don't think it is the battery.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:19 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the auto light are turning off?

Could it be some other non oem powered device in the car that is the issue?

chris-red

PostPosted: 10:25 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Are you sure the auto light are turning off?

Could it be some other non oem powered device in the car that is the issue?

The only other is is the tow electrics, which I have pulled the fuse from and the Stereo. The Stereo should be OK, it's an Alpine unit and has a proper wiring kit. There is next to no draw when the ignition is off so it must happen sporadically. If the lights were on I would see them I'm sure.

Last edited by chris-red on 11:00 - 30 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

I'm thinking about calling an auto electrician in but I can't see that they would do anything that I haven't.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1312582

I used this guy to solve my 911's problems. Top bloke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 10:59 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
chris-red wrote:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1312582

I used this guy to solve my 911's problems. Top bloke.

Funnily enough I actually read that a couple of days ago. I'll give him a look if i can't find anything and it does it again.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 26 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1