Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is the mainstream media ultimately damaging society?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 29 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

double think in overdrive
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 29 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd laugh if we found Rainpal was set up by the Illuminati press barons to distract us from whatever the overlord lizard elites are scheming now.

When was the last big update on Syria and the refugee crisis?

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:40 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like the Russian tactic... criticise and endorse everything, equally, and at all times.

Never expose the real enemy.

Your examples were clever, and shows just how little you can trust anyone in media. People forget they (writers) are given a title to write, and get moneys later.

Story must fit with the narrative of the time.

Smart phones, dumb people.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/28/alt-right-online-poison-racist-bigot-sam-harris-milo-yiannopoulos-islamophobia?CMP=share_btn_tw

so the Guardian put that up the other day, seems they've been trolled to fuck by a guy that spends all his time acting like a sjw, tumblrina https://twitter.com/GodfreyElfwick

They go on about fake news, and then become the largest components of it

Godfrey reminds me of Percy when he first joined bcf. Laughing
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:46 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/28/alt-right-online-poison-racist-bigot-sam-harris-milo-yiannopoulos-islamophobia?CMP=share_btn_tw

so the Guardian put that up the other day, seems they've been trolled to fuck by a guy that spends all his time acting like a sjw, tumblrina https://twitter.com/GodfreyElfwick

They go on about fake news, and then become the largest components of it

Godfrey reminds me of Percy when he first joined bcf. Laughing

A guy on twitter trolled his way into an interview with an american journalist saying that Pepe the frog was actually an alt right symbol.

This story was them replicated within pretty much all of the CTR mainstream media.

It's not the first time this has happened.

https://archive.is/jXf9A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iu2HXqotKM&feature=share

Resulting in:

https://archive.is/ANjby

https://archive.is/hC4Le

Just a few examples.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/eric-bristows-tormentors-are-far-more-immoral-than-he-is/19055#.WD9GSLKLS9K

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So apparently Facebook are set to have some of their more hotly shared stories fact-checked.

Good in theory, as long as they don't let any biases get in the way.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
I often get adverts or pages which apparently friends of mine "like". It's clearly made up going by some of the pages suggested and the people matched to them.

I reckon around 10-20% of the traffic is blatant likejacking scams now. Try reporting an obvious scam (you know, we're giving away 20 X £200K motorhomes) and see if they bother taking it down.

All they give a shit about is traffic for advertising revenue.

All because there is no 'Dislike" function, which skews anything and everything on it!

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main issue as far as I can see is that this recent trend towards activism and changing the world ultimately just makes everyone unhappy.

If you set out to look for them, there's an unlimited list of things about the world that can be construed as unfair.

There's also a logical impossibility to fairness anyway.

So a CEO earns X00 times what a worker does. OK, take that ratio down to 5x min wage, and congratulations - you've completely and utterly destroyed social mobility; shareholders are now the only class of individual that actually have a real income.

Most classes of whine I can see generally feel like attempts to overcome the ennui of living in a world where actually we've mostly sorted everything out and we compete for status rather than survival.

The fundamental thing that people seem to be missing is that only a few are going to win. If you want to be in the winners' category, you need to win. There is no magical 'everyone wins' wand; it's nonsense in a world of 7 billion. Hell, it's nonsense on an island of 60m.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:45 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:
The fundamental thing that people seem to be missing is that only a few are going to win. If you want to be in the winners' category, you need to win. There is no magical 'everyone wins' wand; it's nonsense in a world of 7 billion. Hell, it's nonsense on an island of 60m.

Where's the massively disagree button? There's enough to go around, no one needs to be living in poverty, but everything's based on greed and consumption. People have gone along with this because they thought they'd get their slice of the pie, but it's reached such absurd levels that won't even happen, and people are waking up to the utterly f**ked (re)distribution of wealth that has really been going on for the last 20-30 years.

I don't think it'll change, more that people won't play the game and it'll all collapse.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:04 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:

So a CEO earns X00 times what a worker does. OK, take that ratio down to 5x min wage, and congratulations - you've completely and utterly destroyed social mobility; shareholders are now the only class of individual that actually have a real income.

How does it reduce social mobility if CEO wages are capped at X% more than the company's lowest salary?

To me it sounds like a good way to: a) Raise the wages of the lower level workers, or b) Invest money back into the company so it can grow/improve for the good of all staff and the national economy on the whole. Instead of just becoming more numbers in Mr CEO's bank account.

Can't be arsed to hunt it down now but a recent-ish article pointed out that CEO pay doesn't reflect productivity very much at all, and most candidates at 'high-end' recruitment agencies are well below par. The pay is just a culture, and the types of people who go for it are the ones who keep the culture going. Basically a of a vicious cycle of money being chucked out of a company for no good reason.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:12 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
There's enough to go around, no one needs to be living in poverty, but everything's based on greed and consumption.

Do you imagine that the 1% posses and consume 99 times as much as the 99%?

99 houses, 99 cars, they eat 99 swans a day?

What real, tangible resources would you propose robbing from them to give to the poor?

For the avoidance of doubt, numbers in a spreadsheet are not real or tangible. Give everyone twice as many numbers, and all you're doing is doubling the price of everything, without actually creating one single useful item.

So, non-rhetorically: what rob?

Arbeit macht frei.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:41 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
What real, tangible resources would you propose robbing from them to give to the poor?

There would have to be a complete culture change, but people have proven it can be done. Generally successful people reach a point where they feel comfortable, and sell off their business etc., where as other people have restructured diverting the profits to good causes.

mpd72 wrote:

Can I massively disagree with your disagreeing?

In the areas where there are massive poverty and starvation, there are not enough resources to go around, even more so when the thicktards try to have 7 or 8 kids each. The rest of the world has made it worse by artificially propping up a population the land can't provide for. This has been going on for decades, encouraging population growth way beyond the natural limit.

I agree population control's an issue, but it doesn't render the idea that there's enough to go around moot. Wealth also increases, it's just with globalisation the profits end up in the hands of fewer and fewer people.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:03 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

There would have to be a complete culture change, but people have proven it can be done. Generally successful people reach a point where they feel comfortable, and sell off their business etc., where as other people have restructured diverting the profits to good causes.

As I said, it's a non-rhetorical question. If you don't know the answer, that's fine, but you can't eat "culture change", and "profit" doesn't keep the rain off of your head.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

About finite resources: It's not just about resources, it's about how much people have to work for their share. It's part of the 'race to the bottom' mentality we all complain about. We hear a lot these days about the loss of the middle classes. Without regulation or 'fairness', everyone ends up scrapping for peanuts while the lucky few sit laughing at the top of the pyramid. And then of course they say this is just the natural order of things - it must be, because they're doing alright out of it!

About overpopulation: Improving quality of life reduces birth rates.

https://www.businessinsider.com/bill-gates-destroys-three-big-myths-about-poverty-2014-1?IR=T

Another interesting factor about overpopulation is that it's a bit of an illusion in some ways. High economic areas end up hyper densely populated so it feels like we have a 'humans problem', but if you go to the sticks you can easily find absolutely tons of space. I've said it on here before - a mate of mine took a masters course in human sustainability, where he learned that apparently the estimate is 11 billion people for maximum earth capacity before we have to rethink our lifestyles (go vegan etc).

I think the current overpopulation argument is due to urbanisation and poor economic management. London is the big example in the UK, and as far as Europe on the whole is concerned, the flux of migration has surely been in an overall north-west direction. (This is why the EU is bad - free movement Rolling Eyes )

That's not to say overpopulation it isn't a looming problem though. The solution lies in eradicating poverty, as is alluded to in the link I've given above.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
M.C wrote:

I agree population control's an issue, but it doesn't render the idea that there's enough to go around moot. Wealth also increases, it's just with globalisation the profits end up in the hands of fewer and fewer people.

Wealth or money is not necessarily a need for life. Fertile land, water and the ability to grow and produce food is, something lacking in the areas we keep artificially alive and encourage over reproduction by throwing wealth and money at it.

In this case, money is actually causing the deaths. Well done Bob and Bono. Without Western intervention, population numbers would be much lower and survival rates a lot higher.

What percentage of the world are actually self-sufficient? Most people, even in poor areas, produce something to sell on to buy other stuff they need. Your solution seems to involve the poor dying, I agree handouts aren't the answer, but I don't think letting people starve to death's either.

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:

As I said, it's a non-rhetorical question. If you don't know the answer, that's fine, but you can't eat "culture change", and "profit" doesn't keep the rain off of your head.

Investing in the local people/community who are being exploited would be a good start. You seem to be of the opinion you'll be depriving someone else by redistributing wealth, but you wouldn't, it would barely make a dent.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:30 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Investing in the local people/community who are being exploited would be a good start.

Investing what?

M.C wrote:
You seem to be of the opinion you'll be depriving someone else by redistributing wealth, but you wouldn't, it would barely make a dent.

I think we're talking at cross purposes about what constitutes "wealth".

Let's see. I live in an impoverished 3rd world hell-hole, and need to be invested in rather than exploited.

So redistribute your car to me. It's OK, it won't deprive you. I'll barely made a dent.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:02 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Not at all. The only reason people are dying is because interfering do-gooders have encouraged population growth way beyond what the land can support.

When the cash stops and the weather does its usual thing, population outstrips resources and people die unless we artificially prop them up by throwing more cash at them. It will never stop until unsustainable population growth isn't artificially supported.

Without cash and aid donations, they would reproduce to the levels at which the land can sustain and deaths would be much, much lower.

If anyone's to blame for this, it's tits like Geldof for encouraging unsustainable population growth.

I think it's more a case of access to birth control than ooh look at all this rice lets breed. It's not like Britain where you're financially rewarded for Britain, having a child's an actual drain and they'd rather not. Didn't we used to have large families only a few generations ago?

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
Investing in the local people/community who are being exploited would be a good start.

Investing what?

M.C wrote:
You seem to be of the opinion you'll be depriving someone else by redistributing wealth, but you wouldn't, it would barely make a dent.

I think we're talking at cross purposes about what constitutes "wealth".

Let's see. I live in an impoverished 3rd world hell-hole, and need to be invested in rather than exploited.

So redistribute your car to me. It's OK, it won't deprive you. I'll barely made a dent.

A tiny fraction of the billions corporations make, none of which will ever end up reaching you.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:34 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I think it's more a case of access to birth control than ooh look at all this rice lets breed.

It certainly isn't. People in poor, starving countries breed as many babies as possible in the hope one or two will survive and look after them in their old age. They expect children to die, they hope enough survive.

Birth control would not be used.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again isn't that what we used to do a few generations ago?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 23 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8