Bigger bike better?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:34 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperMike wrote:
This is why I feel I need more time on the 650 before owning a blade or R1......can probably pick up a decent nearly new blade pretty cheap now that the new model is out. The more my head says no the more my heart says hell yeah!

Could it be that you're forgetting that litre bikes don't just come in sports bike form? Not that you shouldn't have one if you want.

I haven't actually said that bigger is better. There are too many variables. But generally speaking, I prefer large capacity bikes to smaller ones. I have enjoyed small, peaky bikes too, but nowadays I tend to want a one-bike-fits-all kind of machine, and litre power helps in this regard imo.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

matlow wrote:
the difference is that i have to work harder and therefore work the bike harder more of the time, that in itself is more rewarding and there fore IMO better.

Equally, I get a lot of reward out of riding a big, heavy bike with loads of power, but I won't argue it's better or worse than your preference.

Quote:
in reality its all down to preference and your own use of the bike....what suits the individual.

Nail on the head, I think. Thumbs Up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

matlow wrote:
Why is easier and more usable better?

Um, because it's easier and more usable?

It's just preference. I've got to the point where I just want to ride and enjoy it, not have to work at it, constantly moving up and down the box and revving the nuts off something. For me, litre (plus) bikes are better but the answer is different for everybody.

SuperMike wrote:
I wonder how many people have thought that as they hit a central reservation at 180 mph?

You can potato yourself at much lower speeds than that, it's not the power of the bike that causes the issue, but the way you use it.

SuperMike wrote:
my throttle opening and drift over the motorway on Sunday made me think twice about having 2.5 times more power under my wrist!

And that was down to the size of the bike you were riding, nothing to do with the fact that you pushed yourself past your comfort zone?

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:27 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:

And that was down to the size of the bike you were riding, nothing to do with the fact that you pushed yourself past your comfort zone?

Not sure I get you. If you mean did I run out of skills, well yes and no. I don't think I was prepared for how quickly a turn can get tight at those speeds. It was a long sweeping curve, but I obviously didn't negotiate it well as I ran wide. It's my first time at big speed and I wasn't switched on enough to respond.

My feeling is that on a litre bike I would still have grabbed an handful of throttle but would have got in even more of a mess as I would have been going 40mph quicker.

I guess it comes down to experience. I have some track days booked in this summer where I can get a feel for high speed in a safe environment.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A powerful upright is the way forward I think, the wind blast keeps you in check. I maxed the Spacker at the weekend and it
was all I could do to stay on the thing. Like one big never ending sit up against resistance. After my day out on the bike my
abs were aching. I'm way too immature for a full on sportbike, up to about 90 is bearable on mine. Flat out was pretty terrifying to be honest. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:

It's just preference. I've got to the point where I just want to ride and enjoy it, not have to work at it, constantly moving up and down the box and revving the nuts off something. For me, litre (plus) bikes are better but the answer is different for everybody.

But this is where the term "litre bikes" (or rather, litre plus, as Matt says) itself is too much of a generalisation. Look at the wide range of performance figures from the multitude of models available. Mine has enough to make overtaking at anything up to way illegal speeds easy (around 140rwhp), and yet the other day I was ragging the arse off it to try to keep up with something more modern and with a considerable dose more performance, and better handling into the bargain (I failed, but it was loads of fun trying Laughing ). But I don't want to ride like that every time I go out, and with this bike, I don't have to. More importantly, it doesn't make me feel that I should be (the Striple always makes me feel like I have to be caning it everywhere, even though it has surprising tractability for a smaller engine). Versatility rules! Very Happy

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
A powerful upright is the way forward I think, the wind blast keeps you in check. I maxed the Spacker at the weekend and it
was all I could do to stay on the thing. Like one big never ending sit up against resistance. After my day out on the bike my
abs were aching. I'm way too immature for a full on sportbike, up to about 90 is bearable on mine. Flat out was pretty terrifying to be honest. Laughing

Just so you know they're not the most stable bikes at speed. A few people have posted on the MT forums asking omg why dids it do a tank slapper at 120 Laughing

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wasnted something more exciting than the ER6 so.... Laughing
Lack of weight probably has a fair bit to do with that, considering it's an 850 it's pretty light. I also really must get the suspension
set up properly, it's a little unsettled in long sweepers at 80+ if the road isn't snooker table flat.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 18:26 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
grr666 wrote:

Just so you know they're not the most stable bikes at speed. A few people have posted on the MT forums asking omg why dids it do a tank slapper at 120 Laughing

Depends on the bike my old mt07 was alittle unstable at speed where my mt10 feels solid at motorway speeds and hasnt given me any moments at silly speeds where im loosing the battle to hang on Laughing, ive put that down to having far better wind protection on the 10 over the 7 as Ive found alot of the instability people refer to at speed on naked bikes is due to fighting against the wind to hang on putting pressure on the bars.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

The SMT has decent wind protection and loads of oomphy grunty torqueyness (nothing compared to a modern litre sportsbike though for sure) and is more than a licence loser if you want it to be, but doesn't do so well over a ton 20 or so.

To me it's the best road bike I've ever had, and I don't know how it could be bettered. It's got character, sounds ridiculous, is comfortable yet lairy, well balanced yet edgy. The list goes on. It's just a good do it all bike.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines not a top speed machine either, it's all about dat midrange.

oscar777
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define "best"

I've owned 80cc two stroke mopeds to a 1098Sf I have now and loved all of them.

If best means versatile then it won't be very good at any one thing. You could get powerful upright yes but you'll never experience being tucked in at 170mph with your helmet glued against your jaw. On the flip side you'll hate driving through town on a litre sports bike feathering the clutch because your first gear is so high. Not to mention never capable of using its full power for more then 2 sec on normal roads

I often leave my Ducati at home to take the virago 535 out. Had loads of fun on my gfs 125 grom and it's 9hp

My point is there is not "best" bike. Drive as many different bikes as you can and enjoy each for what they are. Don't limit yourself to one type.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:28 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love large lazy engines. Goldwing 1800 flat 6, my Trophys 1200 triple, FJ1200 air cooled lump. Nice easy relaxed ride and if you want to try and push them through the twistys, very rewarding to achieve a decent rate of progress.

My striple was real world faster than most bikes I had ridden, excluding top speed, simply because it was so so easy to ride fast. Too easy really. My busa didn't even start to feel right until it hit 3 figures and though I loved it dearly it was a prison sentence waiting to happen so had to go.

Now I fancy either a 70's smoker or a V Max. Two completely different bikes but both have one thing in common, shit handling Laughing .

Every bike has it's place but I draw the line at anything modern below 500cc although I could be persuaded to try an Enfield.

So much for giving up riding Whistle

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:00 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscar777 wrote:

If best means versatile then it won't be very good at any one thing.

Define "very good" Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:27 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigT19 wrote:
M.C wrote:

Depends on the bike my old mt07 was alittle unstable at speed where my mt10 feels solid at motorway speeds and hasnt given me any moments at silly speeds where im loosing the battle to hang on Laughing, ive put that down to having far better wind protection on the 10 over the 7 as Ive found alot of the instability people refer to at speed on naked bikes is due to fighting against the wind to hang on putting pressure on the bars.

MT-09 (in its various guises). Not sure what the cause was, I know people go on about the budget suspension but personally I think it's a bit dodgy taking a naked to those speeds.

oscar777
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:34 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Oscar777 wrote:

If best means versatile then it won't be very good at any one thing.

Define "very good" Laughing

Logically you'd want a bike that will go fast, handle well, protect you at wind at triple digit speeds, carry shiz, be comfortable, look good and be fuel efficient but you wont get one thats "very good" at every single one of those things.

So it comes down to what your priorities are. "Best" would be a fluctuating concept personal to everyone and based on their needs from the bike at any point in time.

If you asked me a few years ago Id say gsxr was the best as I didn't care a toss about anything but performance stats.

When I came within a hair of losing my license I realised thats not where my priorities should be. Laughing Unless im on the track OBV

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the MT 03 do stability wise at three figure speeds, seeing as this is a member of the MT range that you have had direct comprehensive experience of, rather than reading stuff written about them in magazines and on Internet forums?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
How does the MT 03 do stability wise at three figure speeds, seeing as this is a member of the MT range that you have had direct comprehensive experience of, rather than reading stuff written about them in magazines and on Internet forums?

Sleeping You're getting really tiresome, dunno what I've done to upset you and I don't really care. I just pointed out to grr666 that a number of people have reported getting into trouble at high speeds on the owners forum.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:28 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't heard that and me (and mrs Grr) are grateful for the heads up. In my experience I've not had tha happen yet
despite a fair few miles in that territory, but it only has to happen the once unexpectedly then potato. Thumbs Up
I'll look into what can be done to reduce the likelihood. (other than slowing down of course) S'all good. Thumbs Up

Just had a you tube up and it seems to mostly affect the tracer variants with the tall screen. Nothing like what's in this video
has happened to mine. Yet...

https://youtu.be/adQIE2yISZU?t=66

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscar777 wrote:

Logically you'd want a bike that will go fast, handle well, protect you at wind at triple digit speeds, carry shiz, be comfortable, look good and be fuel efficient but you wont get one thats "very good" at every single one of those things.

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/DSCN8273_zpsnc8ea5tt.jpg

Wink (<- because there isn't a smug emoticon). Well, ok, maybe the looks bit is subjective, but I like it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I hadn't heard that and me (and mrs Grr) are grateful for the heads up. In my experience I've not had tha happen yet
despite a fair few miles in that territory, but it only has to happen the once unexpectedly then potato. Thumbs Up
I'll look into what can be done to reduce the likelihood. (other than slowing down of course) S'all good. Thumbs Up

Just had a you tube up and it seems to mostly affect the tracer variants with the tall screen. Nothing like what's in this video
has happened to mine. Yet...

https://youtu.be/adQIE2yISZU?t=66

Hmm maybe it mainly affects the tracer, in this video the guy reckoned he solved it by adjusting the suspension.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Every bike has it's place but I draw the line at anything modern below 500cc although I could be persuaded to try an Enfield.

So much for giving up riding Whistle

Well, the modern Bullets are 500cc, or, if you fancy the Himalyan, I think that's just over 400cc. I'm not sold on the Himalyan though, not sure what it is, and as for Bullets, well, my trusty 350 will do me fine Smile

Last edited by linuxyeti on 11:47 - 29 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for size of engine, I agree with those that have said, different bikes for for different moods and/or riding conditions.

Heck, even the 50cc scooter that's going to my nephew on his 16th can be a giggle to ride !! But, i don't think a commute from Wolves to Leicester is on the cards for that anytime soon !! Laughing Laughing

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
I'm not sold on the Himalyan though

I don't think anyone is at that price.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:48 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:
I'm not sold on the Himalyan though

I don't think anyone is at that price.

£10k was a daft typo, eBay says £4K, arrives in May/June/"Summer".
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 30 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3