Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Learning To Ride & First Bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

AdzCBR
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:33 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Learning To Ride & First Bike Reply with quote

Hi guys and girls.

First ever post so please be gentle Evil or Very Mad

So I'm 32 and from the United Kingdom and I've recently been getting urges to learn to ride. I've been driving for nearly 14 years but never once stepped foot on a bike.

I'm hoping to pass my CBT and due to my age do a direct access course straight to the A2 module as I am hoping to get my hands on a CBR500R as I believe this would be a good all round fit for what I'm looking for.

I'm going to a motorbike testing day at the weekend to get on a low powered bike to make sure I'm happy and comfortable in what I'm doing as it's a big life step.

My questions are:

* Is the way that I'm planning to learn the safest and best way, going from CBR straight to A2?

*Is the CBR500R a good learner bike, will it be safe enough for me to ride as a beginner?

*Do you advise because of my age that I just go straight in and do the full 'A' licence and then buy a CBR500R anyway?

Thanks in advance

AdzCBR[/list]

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:36 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do A2?

Just do full A, it's nor more difficult than A2.

I'd probably get a 600 as a first bike over CBR500 too.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:
Just do full A, it's nor more difficult than A2. In fact it's the same theory and tests!

Might even be the same bike just restricted.

AdzCBR
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:45 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a quick reply @bozzy @M.C

Do you really feel that having no riding experience and doing a direct access course that a 600cc would be safe enough? I was only thinking of getting the 500cc as I plan to use her for commuting to and from my place of work and the odd ride out and about.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:46 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdzCBR wrote:

Do you really feel that having no riding experience and doing a direct access course that a 600cc would be safe enough? I was only thinking of getting the 500cc as I plan to use her for commuting to and from my place of work and the odd ride out and about.

Ha..I was sat waiting for a curry in the local takeway. Plenty of time to kill!

I'm the same age as you and had no riding experience. I went straight for my cat A and bought an SV650S. I was bored of it within 6 months and wanted moaar power. I'd have been doubly bored with a 500!

You're better off doing cat A. You're future proofed then. A bigger bike is also arguably safer as they offer more stability once moving and power to get out the way if you need it. It'll only go as fast as you ask it to anyway.

That said, motorcycling on any CC machine is inherently dangerous. Cagers are out to kill you so you need to ride like you are invisible.

If I were you I'd do your CBT and see if you can blag a ride on a 600 to get a feel for one.

P.S prepare for a teffing Laughing

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:33 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike is the last thing you need.. so don't worry about stuff that dont matter, until it does.

CBT is compulsory Basic TRAINING, that is required to validate your Learner Licence, so THAT is really where you should be starting.

Most courses cost around £130 is and last about a day, and you may need more than one to 'complete' and get the certificate.

You don't need to have ANY prior knowledge or experieceto do a CBT, it is designed as the first, introductory lesson... if you want to stick your toe in the water and find out what its all about AND learn something THAT is exactly what it is for... and offers far more than a 15 minute or 1hour 'taster' session.

CBT is compulsory, so if you book a Drect Acces course, you wold have to complete the CBT sylabus anyway, and likely be payng higher rate to do it 1:1 or 2:1 rather than n a larger group, and possibly on the bigger DAS bike.

So, a stand alone CBT saves the aster cost, and likely some more expensive DAS trainng time/money.

DONT, kid yourself that umpety years driving a box is ANY sort of head start.... aproach with a open mind... you will take as many car driver habbts and probably ba ones into motorcycle training as you will good ideas, and both, especially th good ideas, where you 'think' you already know something will likely make you 'miss' the bit that's different/important.

After CBT, IF you liked it, and IF you want to go on to tests..... then before you can do a course, you will need to pass the Motorcycle Theory/Hazard test... its almost the same as for a car... but not quite....

You can start practicing for M/C theory with any of the on-line or disc bases practice programs straight away, if you like.. if you go all the way you will at some point, so may as well start straight away... but dont book the test, which is same as for a car in an offce at a PC, until you have got your CBT sorted.... mot schols will expect students to have pasd Theory before taking DAS course, as they cant put yu in for the practical tests as part of the course wthout, and its not something they can really 'teach' other than offer you practice programs.

So get that one nailed before you g book a course, and yu have a clear shot for the trainng and tests.....

Do THAT.. and pass... THEN you will have licence that lets you ride an actual bike, and could be worth worrying about... BUT... still last thing on the list!

CBT should have taught you how nuch else there is, much like tax and insurance and stuff you need for car... but also helmets, protective wear and SECURITY.... that can put a lot on the shopping list and push it higher up the priority of that list tha the actual bike.

End of the day... no good having bike you cant legally ride, or bike that sits outside waiting for some scroat to steal it.... so start at the top ad work through the list...

And if there's ONE bit of advice to heed... DONT RUSH.. rushin' be fast way to hurt on two wheels, and it applies just as much t the learning and the ancillary 'stuff' as the riding. Take your time, enjoy the journey, and learning IS A journey and can be a lot of fun, IF you approach with an open mind, and dont rush!

What bike, here and now is irelevent; when you have nailed down the stuff needed to to rde one, you wll be much better clued up to decide for yourself what might be better or worse, and you might afford after payng for everything else.

Take t slow don't rush, and dont worry too much about what doesn't yet matter very much... ride the bit of road you are on, here and now... not the one umpety miles up the road.

And bikes? You buy them. You dont marry them! They will never be perfect, queston is whether you can live with'em! and its a darn site cheaper than divorse t swap'em, and they dont get all pizzy f you have more than one! So don't sweat the small stuff. Deal wth what needs dealing with. When a bik is a viable proposition almost anything will do, and finding out if you can live with it, and what else you can do with it, is more learning... it don't stop when they hand you the licence you know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never really ridden a road bike when I passed my test at about 33.

I went from nothing to full A, only having to do my MOD2 a second time.

don't bother with the A2 - it is the same test as the A, but with the added proviso that in future, if you want a bigger bike, you'll have to go through the tests again Rolling Eyes

theres nothing to say you cant still buy the 500 to begin with. you might find the insurance more affordable. but I can almost guarantee you'll want something bigger after a year.

I went 600 shaft drive old bike, 500 parallel twin, 600 supersports.

not died yet Mr. Green

just go for it Thumbs Up

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdzCBR wrote:

A big bike's a big bike. I passed my test on an 80bhp 600 and bought a ~47bhp bike, then 6 weeks later was on a 110bhp 1000cc machine. None of them felt anymore dangerous than the other.

See how your CBT goes, some of us (me included) needed a 125 after to practice on. Others went straight onto DAS and got their license.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A licence

Fireblade

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:19 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Learning To Ride & First Bike Reply with quote

AdzCBR wrote:
I've recently been getting urges to learn to ride.

A tingling feeling in the swimsuit area?

Mike's being unusually lucid and helpful. I'd mostly echo that.

CBT first, see how you get on. Be aware that it's not a 1-day course, it's as long as it takes to get you up to basic competence. Don't be surprised if you find yourself being swamped and rushed on the first day. Buy yourself a basic waterproof jacket and trousers (not bike specific, I use Regatta branded outdoor gear) if there's any sign of rain, or you'll quickly get fed up.

Then straight on to full A. There's absolutely zero point in you doing A2. The tests are the same, the test bikes might even be the same. Get the A licence and then decide on a bike.

Just because you've got full A doesn't mean that you need to get a Fireblade. Also, capacity doesn't mean danger. I ride my revvy 250 a lot more hazardously than my lazy 800. Every bike delivers its fun in a different way.

A CBR500R is a perfectly reasonable choice as a do-anything bike, but don't set your heart on anything until you're licensed up and can choose from the full range of bikes available.

By the way, getting into biking later in life is the best decision I ever made. It's just ace.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdzCBR wrote:

Our A2 bikes are 600cc and 650cc respectively. One is carb restricted and the 650 is ECU restricted and the only way you can tell it is restricted is they do not go faster than around 100. The 0-60 times seem to be the same, I'm currently using the 600cc as a personal bike since my own was stolen and even on the motorway you cannot tell its restricted.

Get yourself a CBT, if you get on fine with it, do the theory then Direct Access for a full A licence.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:55 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

only info I can give that's not given is once cbt is done book your theory

people seem to think you need an instructor for it

you don't and getting it out the way is one less thing to worry about
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:13 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Learning To Ride & First Bike Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
AdzCBR wrote:
I've recently been getting urges to learn to ride.

A tingling feeling in the swimsuit area?

Whose swimsuit?

Rogerborg wrote:

By the way, getting into biking later in life is the best decision I ever made. It's just ace.

Agreed. Although I don't believe I was quite as over ripe as you.

I don't regret having a cheap crap first bike either. Nor do I regret getting the CBR600 about 6 months into riding. Nor do I regret buying my KTM. My only regret was sticking with a bike I didn't like for 4 years because I told myself I should like it. It made me doubt whether I actually liked riding instead.

Moral of story, try lots of bikes, buy what you like at the time and if it doesn't work out don't be afraid to chop it in and try something else.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:58 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you want a CBR500RR as it would fit your purposes but what are they? Very Happy Might help to say - I.e track days, street riding, NSL blasting, weekend warrior, commuting in town/city etc.

From my own experience I started off on nakeds (more upright bikes with straight bars), as they are 'easier' to learn on and get used to the bike controls. When I switched to a sportsbike I found it a tiny bit harder , getting used to the lean/hip angle, the position of the bars, and having to lean more round the corner rather than just turning my head.

If you take to it like a duck to water I don't see any reason you cant jump on a sportsbike straight away, but if you struggle a little bit, I'd suggest sticking with an easier naked . You can always trade up once you get your confidence!

edit: source: at 28 I had never sat on a motorbike. I rushed my training and booked DAS too early after only a few hundred miles on a 125. I struggled with mod 1 (bike control) but aced mod 2 (road control).

Get on a 125, get good and confident with slow speed manoeuvers (look up the Mod 1 test) before you book a DAS, or you may find the retest fees adding up! Then after/during your DAS you may get a good idea if youre capable on naked or want a sportsbike

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:38 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said really.

I'd suggest you dip your toe in the waters with a standalone CBT, this will give you a nice taster and at that point all you've lost is the cost of a CBT, around £130, if you decide biking isn't for you.

Then go for the full A licence. The licence covers all the lower bike categories. This means you can potter around on a 50cc moped without L plates for the rest of your riding life if you want, though I have no idea why you'd want to do that. Personally I rode around on A2 bike for 9 months before stepping up to a 'big' bike.

Last edited by techathy on 16:24 - 30 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As other said, go for full A.
Don't get too hung up on what bike you eventually intend to buy. Do the CBT and see how you feel afterwards. Some people are confident to go straight for a full licence, others prefer to trundle around on a 125 for a year before hand to get their roadcraft and confidence in place. Do whatever feels right for you. Aged 45 I did the 125 for a year thing. Then I went to a bike shop, sat on all the big bikes and bought the one that felt right. Happened to be a FZS600 Fazer, a very good choice for a first big bike, but you may feel completely different.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:15 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Do whatever feels right for you. Aged 45 I did the 125 for a year thing.

Now now that's a cruel punishment for anyone. I was sick of my 125 within a few months, really sick of it within six, how I made it a year I still do not know. I still regret not getting a DT.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Andy_Pagin wrote:
Do whatever feels right for you. Aged 45 I did the 125 for a year thing.

Now now that's a cruel punishment for anyone. I was sick of my 125 within a few months, really sick of it within six, how I made it a year I still do not know.

I quite liked my Vity and YBR125, In fact If I only ever commuted in London I would probably have stuck with one or the other.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see having a scootay if you only ride in London, but for me a geared 125 was purgatory.

AdzCBR
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:04 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thank you.

I'm completely overwhelmed at the number of responses in such a short period of time.

I've applied for my provisional motorbike licence today via the DVLA website. I'm also going to a motorbike trainer's session tomorrow on private land and I'm going to see how I feel about sitting on a bike and slowly riding it around so hopefully that will further fuel me to continue.

Thank you for all your help and assistance so far and I'm sure I'll be back bugging you all for further help soon Razz

AdzCBR

Vulusmaximus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:08 - 01 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdzCBR
I decided at 53 to have a change of direction and get a bike. Got my full license about a 6 weeks ago (Mod 1 first attempt, Mod 2 at the second). Didn't bother getting a bike until I passed the DAS.

During the training my thoughts on bikes changed over time. Started out wanting a vintage WW2 bike, then moved on to thinking about a Royal Enfield, then a Kawasaki W650, or W800, then a Bandit 650 or Hornet. Thinking also changed from naked to wanting some protection. Ended up with a VFR800 something way more powerful than I ever envisaged getting. It was such a nice ride compared to the Suzuki Gladius I'd been training on (a tractor in comparison) and a Bandit and Hornet I had tried. 100 metres down the road on a test ride I distinctly remembering thinking 'F**k me this is a nice bike'. Keep an open mind on types and try as many as you can after you pass your DAS Smile
Kind regards
Ian

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:14 - 01 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulusmaximus wrote:
AdzCBR
I decided at 53 to have a change of direction and get a bike. Got my full license about a 6 weeks ago

Well played, squire Thumbs Up

Vulusmaximus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:42 - 01 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Vulusmaximus wrote:
AdzCBR
I decided at 53 to have a change of direction and get a bike. Got my full license about a 6 weeks ago

Well played, squire Thumbs Up

Yes, used to have a WW2 American truck. She was the apple of my eye, but storage problems (too big to keep parked on the drive really) and general anxst from the missus wore me down, so after 5 years it was time for a change... Still miss my truck, but it's lovely being able to park the bike in the garage Smile

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 01 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulusmaximus wrote:
used to have a WW2 American truck. She was the apple of my eye
Get yourself a Series IIa Landrover.

Vulusmaximus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:52 - 01 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Vulusmaximus wrote:
used to have a WW2 American truck. She was the apple of my eye
Get yourself a Series IIa Landrover.

Thought about it... Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2