Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

year round use cleaning tips

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mudshark
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:19 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: year round use cleaning tips Reply with quote

so, as a new bike may be in the offing, and inspired by the vulcanet wipe thread...
for those of us who have a manky bike, as it's transport and not a sunny Sunday plaything; any advice on keeping it from being too manky?... hose down wth the jet wash every night, ACF50 in November and leave cleaning until May..
How to keep all the crud out of the front calipers... strip once a month?
don't bother trying and buy a new one every 3 years?

answers on a postcard...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:27 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jet washes aren't recommenced for bikes. I occasionally go over mine with a rag and some sort of cleaning product I stole from work. Couple of ACF50 treatments over winter.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been brave enough to leave it without cleaning. Mine get done once a week and generally survive well.

However because I alternate between 125 and 650 it means they're sitting unused for a few days. I think this is what does the damage. If you're using it every day I think it's OK to leave it but if it's going to be sitting a few days give it a clean. ACF50 a couple of times throughout.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you may have gathered from the above posts, ACF50 is your best friend when riding a bike throughout the wet season.

I don't clean the bike very often in winter because A) It's hardly worth it, as it'll be covered in crap the next day and B) you'll end up washing the ACF50 off.

Keeping on top of chain cleaning and lubing is a must though. I tend to re-lube it once or twice per week and clean it about every 4-6 weeks. Ideally, I'd clean the chain more often but, not having a nice warm and dry garage makes it much more of a pain.

EDIT : If the gritters have been out and there's loads of salt on the roads, I give it a good hose down to rinse it off.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
Keeping on top of chain cleaning and lubing is a must though

So true. It's easy to just forget about it when it's cold & wet outside but before you know it you have a nice rust covering that needs scrubbing off. I wish I'd just fitted a Scottoiler sometimes.

The ZX6 has been abused through two winters now, without a hint of ACF50, and it's starting to show the signs. Nothing serious, because I try to rinse it off regularly when there is salt on the roads, just some furry fasteners. Quick scrub now the weather is better and a smear of grease sorts it.

The key is not to care too much. If it's a winter hack then keep that in mind and remember that it will suffer.

Mudshark
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:42 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers folks
Dave70 wrote:

Keeping on top of chain cleaning

chain, chain.. CHAIN!? Shocked Razz

pre-requisite for an all year round bike (cause I'm essentially a lazy b) is shaft or belt, the current bike has held up pretty well over three winters considering
a, no ACF50
b, jet washing
c, general lack of attention

none of which will be happening to the new one.

ACF50 ordered (aerosol and liquid), and will get some of the cheaper wipes mentioned on the other thread

Gards868
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weekly wash during spring and summer. Autoglym Rapid Aqua wax applied to bodywork and wheels.
It gets clay barred, polished and hard waxed in march,June and November, AFC 50 gets applied in November.
During spring and summer I use Meguiars wash and wax anywhere to remove flies and dust.
Winter I wash it once a fortnight and clean the chain weekly.

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my zx6r for nearly 5 years now, use it year round and never cleaned it. Chain and stuff get lubed once a year when it's serviced. Everything works still, no real rust other than the downpipes but they were like that when I bought it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the year-round daily-commuter I once was, but back then I'd give two or three rinses with a watering can after a ride in filthy weather and give the bike a proper wash quite rarely, albeit thoroughly. The bike coped quite well. I made a point of rolling back and forth while prodding the lever to shed water from the brakes before finally parking up (outside).

Although this was perhaps born of laziness (and I like a bike to look used) I have a theory that if you wash every weekend you're washing the greasy road-slime off as well as the corrosive salts. A simple water rinse will remove the salt but leave the greasy stuff, and as that builds up it keeps the salt at bay. Controversial, I know! The bike won't look pretty every Monday morning if that's important to you, but I don't believe it will rot either. Regular rides and chain lubing are key.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:39 - 01 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevoriv wrote:
Chain and stuff get lubed once a year when it's serviced.

Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 18 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1