Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Crash bars - Overtighten bolt

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sweaty_Doughnut
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Crash bars - Overtighten bolt Reply with quote

I was installing Givi Crash bars on NC750 and I have over-tighten the bolt (I believe it didn’t sit properly in place hence the error from my side), Basically, after trying to come to the tight point, which wasn't happening I suddenly heard a cracking sound. From that moment the screw is rotating freely but I can’t take it out, which is not a problem. However, I am wondering if over-tightening of this small bolt (spanner 10 size) could damage the frame? I guess the frame should be made of much stronger metal? I have attached the image of the bolt I am referring to.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:57 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't worry about the frame. Eyeballing it you'd strip the threads or snap the bolt before damaging the frame.

Sounds like the first of those options has happened.

The hexagon shaped nut that the bolt screws into, looks like it would normally have been welded to the bracket?
Could be that the weld holding that on has given up, and its now rotating rather than doing up?

Sweaty_Doughnut
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:02 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pudder wrote:
Wouldn't worry about the frame. Eyeballing it you'd strip the threads or snap the bolt before damaging the frame.

Sounds like the first of those options has happened.

The hexagon shaped nut that the bolt screws into, looks like it would normally have been welded to the bracket?
Could be that the weld holding that on has given up, and its now rotating rather than doing up?

You are right, the nut is welded to the bracket. I was just worried about the cracking sound, but that was probably the thread that got damaged.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:49 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you say it won't do up, and it won't come back out?

If I were you I'd probably make an effort to remove the bolt, either drill it out or grind the nut off the back, then clamp up with a new nut and bolt.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:53 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd leave it if it is secure. As been said I image the nut has come free of it's weld. If you really wanted to remove it put a spanner on the nut that should be welded and then one the the bolt. Don't drill or grind anything yet.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:01 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How loose is this fixing?
I admit that maybe grinding is a bit overkill at this stage, but I wouldn't want crash bars which aren't properly secured.

Sweaty_Doughnut
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:53 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pudder wrote:
I admit that maybe grinding is a bit overkill at this stage, but I wouldn't want crash bars which aren't properly secured.

The fixing is not loose at all. It's very solid, so I assume I should leave it as it is. I was only worried if the frame could be damaged since I was tightening it wrongly. Not sure if the clamp could create such pressure to crack the frame.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:54 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweaty_Doughnut wrote:
pudder wrote:

The fixing is not loose at all. It's very solid, so I assume I should leave it as it is. I was only worried if the frame could be damaged since I was tightening it wrongly. Not sure if the clamp could create such pressure to crack the frame.

Not with a bolt that small I reckon the bolt would snap long before the frame would be damaged.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 27 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1