Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First MOT, nervous....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:37 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: First MOT, nervous.... Reply with quote

Right I got my first MOT on my lexmoto... Local garage will do it for 29 quid or so...

But Im worried. As far as I can tell I should pass it... But I just fear is there something ive missed...

I replaced the lights with LED lights... and the beam angle looks right. But who knows....

Also the chain. Works fine but is a little rusty. Worried ill get an advisory on that.

After the last thread about my chain I was going to replace it before the MOT but my recent upheaval put a delay on that...

Not that I can really do any changes right now, but what things should I look out for on the bike before an MOT, normally?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:51 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does it matter? If they spot a problem you go away fix it and come back and get the MoT.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:52 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i dont want to waste 30 quid just to find a problem... :p At least not normally.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my first MOT on my CG125 a couple of weeks ago after a complete rebuild, was pleasantly surprised that it passed with only a couple of minors

Only cost me £20 too at my local garage

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:04 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Well i dont want to waste 30 quid just to find a problem... :p At least not normally.

They don't charge for a retest...

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:04 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

they dont? I thought they would every chance to get more cash...

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they do the work, the re-test is free.

If they don't, you can pay for a partial re-test.

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:18 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
If they do the work, the re-test is free.

If they don't, you can pay for a partial re-test.

I just checked it's free to come back the next day...

Taking it back for a retest the next working day

You won’t have to pay again if you take it back to the same test centre before the end of the next working day for a partial retest on one or more of these items:

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/retests

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually free if presented for re-test within 7 days or at least has been for all the bike and car place's I've ever been to Thinking Thinking
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a good way to look at it, is you're paying £30 for them to look over the bike and identify any problems. £30 for the time they spend on it is worth it.

MOT is a lot less stressful if you look at it like that, and get the MOT done a month before it runs out.

Obviously you don't want to pay more money than you need to though. Sometimes it's easier to do the main things before you put it in, then just get them to sort any minor stuff.

This is assuming you have a garage which is being fair and does the MOT properly.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:05 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, mine is a week return for free and recheck just the failures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:24 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly the MOT actually runs out tomorrow... I would have done it sooner, but... upheavals....

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be 7 days from the test, if this falls outside the previous MOT (a fail does not invalidate your current MOT unless it's a dangerous fault) then you will have to call ahead and they will note down your reg number and time so if you are pulled over by the plod they can verify that you're coming in for the retest.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:04 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
It should be 7 days from the test, if this falls outside the previous MOT (a fail does not invalidate your current MOT unless it's a dangerous fault) then you will have to call ahead and they will note down your reg number and time so if you are pulled over by the plod they can verify that you're coming in for the retest.

It could be 7 days, that's up to the test station. they only have to retest for free the next working day for some faults, if it's not on the list they are allowed to charge a retest fee.

Take it away from the stationfor any fault and it's longer than 1 working day (even if it's on that list), then they can charge a retest fee up to half the full fee.

If you leave it at the station for repair, then 10 working days no fee retest.

Also even dangerous faults don't mean your MOT is invalid, unless a VE or suitably qualified policeman prohibits your vehicle which requires a new MOT to lift.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:19 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: First MOT, nervous.... Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:

Also the chain. Works fine but is a little rusty. Worried ill get an advisory on that.

Advisory is still a pass.

I saw an MOT certificate with 7 fails and 8 advisories on it earlier this year. The owner took it back next day and passed, this time with 10 advisories. Still a pass.

At its last MOT, my enfield totally shat its rear wheel bearings on the way to the test (as in, I checked them the night before and there was visible free play by the time I got there, I thought the tyre was soft). I had spre ones in the toolbox so just changed them in the car park and re-presented it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:30 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does BCF not have a database of friendly MOT centres?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:45 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Does BCF not have a database of friendly MOT centres?

Wouldn't be a great plan. VOSA are devious as fuck. They would persecute them with test bikes and by pulling MOT customers over as they're leaving and bringing the bike back to check.

They put a test bike in at my local place and gave him a warning bacause he hadn't noticed they'd removed the rubber o-ring from the inside of the tank cap.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:22 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I passed........ just.

2 advisories... yeah chains a little worn as well as the back sprocket. But not excessively so... Ill be replacing them in the near future so alls good there....

However. It did fail on account of a really minor thing. Which he fixed for me in a few seconds... The chains locking clip was back to front... Opps.

He did mention my led HIDs... he wasnt sure on them. But im pretty confidant Im bellow the blue temp. its a clean white light. I cant see any blue hue at all...

Anyway all good and legal now.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:40 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[relieved exhale]

The mind boggles as to how the clip got on backwards. Is it on its 2nd or subsequent chain?

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:48 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh that was probably (was certainly) me... From when I cleaned the chain up a few weeks back...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:55 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

'kin hell, Nutsy. Very Happy

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:06 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

its an easy mistake.... isnt it? :p I think as well it happened because we were having a bit of a cold spell... was getting dark and even had some snow... I was at the point of... IM DONE.... IM GOING BACK INSIDE!!!! with very cold hands I rushed putting it back on the bike then locking the chain links with the clip...

So yeah.

Well it never flew off and cut my leg off which is a good thing :p

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:

However. It did fail on account of a really minor thing. Which he fixed for me in a few seconds... The chains locking clip was back to front... Opps.

If you have seen the damage to a riders leg or crank cases where a chain end parts company with the other end, you wouldn't be calling it really minor.

My sons chain snapped on his Chinese 125 (one reason i won't give Chinese bikes the time of day) and he still has scars to show for it.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:30 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 22 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1