Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

M4(E) Junction 3 to 1 Average speed cameras?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:52 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: M4(E) Junction 3 to 1 Average speed cameras? Reply with quote

Hi All,

So I noticed yesterday after not being on the bike for a week that in that time away they seem to have installed 3 or 4 rear facing average speed cameras on this section of the M4. No warnings are up regarding them being average speed and I am not sure they are live.

They start just after the 60 section and then finish in the 40 juts before the elevated section. My google foo just returned a FOI request from some one trying to find out about them.

I know they are turning it in to a smart motorway but does anyone know or seen any other info about when these go live? Most of it is not a problem as speeds are sub 40 in the traffic but the first bit is sometimes a bit free'er flowing allowing for err.... better progress Smile

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:22 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yh they started to install them about 2 weeks ago, I saw the guys putting them up Evil or Very Mad

They've got at least 1 on the northbound direction as soon it hits NSL too which would insinuate there are more to go up.

Like you said I've seen no signs....

I hope they aren't on yet as I've made some great... progress today (and most days) on that stretch of road...

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyJ wrote:
northbound

Could have sworn the M4 ran east-west?

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:46 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
BillyJ wrote:
northbound

Could have sworn the M4 ran east-west?

Good point, I ride from south to north west so I call it northbound...

But yes, westbound*

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:12 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spotted two new signs up at after junction two stating "Average Speed Check Area". Spotted the one on the way out yesterday although it did seem to be just the one.

Booo Sad

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:40 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I saw a sign on the way in today Crying or Very sad

Any update on the FOI request for when they will be used? I only started using that road to avoid the average speed cameras down the A40 Evil or Very Mad

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:44 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

non yet, apparently they have cameras on over head gantries as well as the obvious yellow ones according to some dubious uber drivers forum.

FoI linky: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/average_speed_cameras_on_m4_betw

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:32 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed on the way home tonight they have added cameras to the gantrys on the elevated section, so when these do go live be carful as you can't see them on your side of the cartridge way until you have passed them

dn38416
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:28 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a pain, i only noticed the signs on the way back out over the flyover today, i don't usually use it westbound, and as far as i could see there's none heading eastbound over the flyover once you've passed the two sets (now removed) gatsos

Anyway, it's not a go-live date but this says 'enabling' works to commence by end March, so probs this week?

https://roads.highways.gov.uk/projects/m4-junctions-3-12-smart-motorway/

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:30 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My next bike will be #baklaf ready.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:05 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dn38416 wrote:
what a pain, i only noticed the signs on the way back out over the flyover today, i don't usually use it westbound, and as far as i could see there's none heading eastbound over the flyover once you've passed the two sets (now removed) gatsos

Anyway, it's not a go-live date but this says 'enabling' works to commence by end March, so probs this week?

https://roads.highways.gov.uk/projects/m4-junctions-3-12-smart-motorway/

Different junctions but could be related. They definitely cover the whole elevated sections in both directions. Pretty well hidden but they are all the way along, there are now signs on the elevated bit too. 1st one east bound is on this one linky
last one just before it goes to NSL after you come off.

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:28 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I can confirm today that they are all along the elevated bit just very well hidden.

Wonder when they go live...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 364 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1