Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mechanical engineering career change.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 20:38 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Mechanical engineering career change. Reply with quote

A question for those working in engineering or who run an engineering company really, though any useful input is welcome.

I am looking to move to the south west, Devon in particular, of the country (partner from there, cheaper etc.) and my current field has no positions there as it is a bit of a niche market.

To this end I am wondering if people think companies would be open as a general rule to employing someone in their early to mid 30's (currently 31 so on completing 33-34) who had recently retrained either through studying a HNC & HND? Or is there any potential for getting an apprenticeship at this age? As I understand it a company would get no funding for someone my age and they would have to pay me a higher minimum wage.

My current area of work is in Biomechanics for which I have an MSc, with a sports science BSc.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:32 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devon? It's full of farms, holiday parks and seaside resorts. Depends what your field of expertise it, but putting big barns together is a skill that never goes wanting.
You say you know your way around sporty anatomies, people surf a lot, hook up with a surf school and extract cash from wet long haired hippies somehow?
If you're near the south coast side there's lots of money in sailing clubs, marine engineering etc.
The world is your oyster. Oh, oysters. You could farm them too. Thumbs Up

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:12 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you would like to stay within your current field, University of Plymouth Biomedical Science course page has contact details of appropriate staff.

Might be worth sending an email or two explaining your current situation, and politely enquiring whether they have any contacts or company details in the region who might be recruiting.
Hopefully they would be open to giving you some leads even though you aren't UoP alumni.

'Mechanical engineering' as a term is used for a wide range of jobs, what area would you be aiming at?
"Hands on tools" mechanical fitting, assembly, maintenance? Keyboard warrior CAD designer?

I don't really know how active the job market is in Devon, probably depends on how close you are to a big city..
I'd imagine if you struggle to get permanent work there would be contract work available.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused as to what your position is. Are you a mechincal engineer with a degree in biomechanics, or are you looking to switch to mechanical engineering?

The most I've ever been asked for as far as qualifications is an HNC, although if you have any sort of accreditation from a recognised body such as IMechE that would probably be better.
There's 3 levels:
EngTech (Engineering Technician), you only need NVQ3 for this
IEng (Incorporated Engineer), you need a degree or equivalent knowledge for this
CEng (Chartered Engineer), you need a PhD or equivalent knowledge for this.

When they say equivalent knowledge, there is a test.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 18:06 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
You say you know your way around sporty anatomies, people surf a lot, hook up with a surf school and extract cash from wet long haired hippies somehow?

This kind of work is veering towards physio stuff. As I am not HCPC registered (and cannot be without a physiotherapist BSc/MSc) this route is unlikely to work. I could train in sports massage but this is a bit of a wishy washy qualification and although teaches basic techniques still limits the job market/what I can advertise and use my services for.

pudder wrote:
If you would like to stay within your current field, University of Plymouth Biomedical Science course page has contact details of appropriate staff.

'Mechanical engineering' as a term is used for a wide range of jobs, what area would you be aiming at?
"Hands on tools" mechanical fitting, assembly, maintenance? Keyboard warrior CAD designer?

I'm not sure I do want to stay in my current field as it is quite restricted. Thanks for the link to Plymouth Uni, although biomedical science and biomechanics are slightly different, with the former more in relation to the chemistry and the latter to do with the forces and ways in which the musculoskeletal system works.

I'd hopefully be looking to work towards more the technical drawing, and potentially a long term route, in to design side if possible. Using CNC/printing and traditional production techniques would also interest me depending on the particular work.

Both Exeter and Bristol are potential commutes from where I'd likely move to.

dydey90 wrote:
I'm confused as to what your position is. Are you a mechincal engineer with a degree in biomechanics, or are you looking to switch to mechanical engineering?

Sorry, it is the latter, thanks for the heads up regarding qualification levels.

Thanks for the help so far, have contacted colleges and am awaiting responses as well. Nobody has rubbished the idea so this leaves me optimistic as well!

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 02 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:

The most I've ever been asked for as far as qualifications is an HNC, although if you have any sort of accreditation from a recognised body such as IMechE that would probably be better.
There's 3 levels:
EngTech (Engineering Technician), you only need NVQ3 for this
IEng (Incorporated Engineer), you need a degree or equivalent knowledge for this
CEng (Chartered Engineer), you need a PhD or equivalent knowledge for this.

When they say equivalent knowledge, there is a test.

I've been researching this recently as trying to work out whether to do a masters...

For the CEng education requirement you don't need a PhD necessarily, you can do it with an appropriate bachelor + masters.

https://i.imgur.com/OjmywKl.png

For the "further learning required for CEng" bachelors courses, they usually also work as a standalone IEng accredited qualification.

My situation is a bit of a grey area (that I'm currently seeking to clarify by getting a Academic Review by IMechE) in that my bachelors is accredited to IEng only. So I don't know where that would leave me if I did a Masters that fulfills the CEng further learning part, but the bachelors is IEng only.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 02 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a engineer in a niche field

has taken me nearly twenty years to find another suitable job

good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 02 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your looking for an area to retrain, take a look into Civil Engineering. Every company ive been with has been absolutely gagging to employ new engineers as they can't find enough. Seems to be a severe lack in the industry Very Happy

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armed Forces are big in Plymouth - Navy primarily - and if you've a degree you should get a commission I think.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 22:29 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the further help.
andyscooter wrote:

good luck

What was the field and how did you change, and what to, if you don't mind me asking?

Moo. wrote:
If your looking for an area to retrain, take a look into Civil Engineering. Every company ive been with has been absolutely gagging to employ new engineers as they can't find enough. Seems to be a severe lack in the industry Very Happy

I did work experience as a civil engineer in school. There's a reason they are lacking people to work in it. Afraid it doesn't interest me at all.

1198 wrote:
Armed Forces are big in Plymouth - Navy primarily - and if you've a degree you should get a commission I think.

Not a big fan of ships and also wouldn't pass the medical due to a ruptured ACL.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:50 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irezumi aka Reuben wrote:
andyscooter wrote:

good luck

What was the field and how did you change, and what to, if you don't mind me asking?

I was a wheelchair engineer (don't laugh too much) which on its own was a strange type of engineering as we used to recondition chairs
it had electrical and metal work involved
also had to be able to spray and prep for paint

went through years of production and warehouse work after I got made redundant

I now make things out of rubber and fit them to other things, cars mainly but its still classed as engineering and I enjoy it

also do a lot of door seals for industrial fridges(not like your hotpoint at home ) etc and go out to fit them
a lot of my job does involve cutting and measuring and I also have to get parts ready for despatch to other companies
this bit can be a bit repetitive

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

I was a wheelchair engineer (don't laugh too much) which on its own was a strange type of engineering as we used to recondition chairs
it had electrical and metal work involved
also had to be able to spray and prep for paint

went through years of production and warehouse work after I got made redundant

I now make things out of rubber and fit them to other things, cars mainly but its still classed as engineering and I enjoy it

also do a lot of door seals for industrial fridges(not like your hotpoint at home ) etc and go out to fit them
a lot of my job does involve cutting and measuring and I also have to get parts ready for despatch to other companies
this bit can be a bit repetitive

This illustrates how it is useless the word "engineer" is, given that its not a protected title in the UK.

To me, "engineer" is someone designing things sitting and doing loads of horrible calculus (or at least getting the computer to do it for you these days Wink ).

Your job (and I don't mean this in a perjorative way) is essentially a fancy-mechanic. Which is not a shit-job, it takes a skilled person to do them, and my recent job-searching has shown they can easily earn equal or more than a professional engineer. Using the same word to account for such differing skillsets and job roles is pretty useless IMO.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try going into an interview and selling yourself as an engineer if you've not got either a degree or at least IEng accreditation.

I've got "engineer" as a past job title on my CV (because that's the title it was given in the contract) and I've been asked pointed questions about it before. Told them I consider myself an Engineering Technician and they simmered down.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 19:59 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
I was a wheelchair engineer (don't laugh too much) which on its own was a strange type of engineering as we used to recondition chairs.

I work a lot with people who are wheelchair bound/able to walk a bit so have a lot of contact with wheelchair companies so I wont laugh at all.

I had actually considered it as an option to go into after doing a HND potentially as I have a lot of experience in this (setting up wheelchairs and adjusting them etc.

Which company did you work for? I am aware of quite a few of the companies in the UK so potentially can provide e-mail addresses (although they're easy enough to find online). I know one that is looking to expand potentially and one which is a bit in the shit and could probably do with more staff! Drop me a pm if I can be of any help.

Scythe
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:44 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

good luck

Moo. wrote:

I did work experience as a civil engineer in school. There's a reason they are lacking people to work in it. Afraid it doesn't interest me at all.

1198 wrote:

Not a big fan of ships and also wouldn't pass the medical due to a ruptured ACL.

For Plymouth look at Babcock to get a job at Devonport.

I know you're not into ships but a lot of work goes into the maintenance of surface ships and submarines there, it's a lot more intricate than you can imagine for a mech eng. If you want more info PM me, I don't work for babcock but I know what goes on there.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:00 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
I was a wheelchair engineer (don't laugh too much) which on its own was a strange type of engineering as we used to recondition chairs.

I work a lot with people who are wheelchair bound/able to walk a bit so have a lot of contact with wheelchair companies so I wont laugh at all.

I had actually considered it as an option to go into after doing a HND potentially as I have a lot of experience in this (setting up wheelchairs and adjusting them etc.

Which company did you work for? I am aware of quite a few of the companies in the UK so potentially can provide e-mail addresses (although they're easy enough to find online). I know one that is looking to expand potentially and one which is a bit in the shit and could probably do with more staff! Drop me a pm if I can be of any help.

company I worked for was called Ashley contract services (formally known as Ashley healthcare) problem we had was a massive company called serco took over all the nhs contracts and ran at a loss for two years until the competitors all went bust then put the prices up when there is no other choice
they did a similer thing with the trains at one point as well

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:27 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Exeter and Bristol are potential commutes from where I'd likely move to.

I don't know your tolerance to commuting, but a commute from Devon to Bristol is going to be pretty bad.
I live in Weston-Super-Mare, and my commute to Brislington takes minimum of 45 minutes on the bike.
Bristol traffic can be a nightmare.

Lets say you are living in the Wellington area (which isn't even in Devon and is right on the M5), you are looking at adding at least another 45 minutes on top of that.

You might be fine with that kind of commute, just thought I would mention it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 20 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1